Cicadas Spring of 2021 in PA

FS - these are all my stomping grounds.....Grew up there. Sounds good to hear Towhee mentioned in print. I fish there numerous time a year. My kids used to Rock climb in Ralph Stover and its the first time I saw a Copper Head live.

Baron: We fished Towhee a bit from my canoe. We caught a few small panfish and one small bass. There were dozens of paddlers on it from the cub scout event at the park.

The water was really turbid. It seemed to have suspended silt. The visibility was about a foot. Is that normal?

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Baron: We fished Towhee a bit from my canoe. We caught a few small panfish and one small bass. There were dozens of paddlers on it from the cub scout event at the park.

The water was really turbid. It seemed to have suspended silt. The visibility was about a foot. Is that normal?

For Towhee a foot visibility is considered clear. :)

They are alive and well in Princeton. Must be 1000 shells under my oak tree.

Yes, as Joe says 1' is allot. When the wind dies 2' is sometimes possible. While there a allot of nice panfish in there they're hard to find, and bass, I go there in hope of getting some of the bigger Pickerel. A friend whom lives in Heacock caught a 26" last year and has also gotten some keeper sized bass in March. He is a Spin guy and I a fly dude. I've not caught any champion sized fish there.
In the summer the Milfoil and also Algae grow in where the Pads aren't and the open and fishable aspects are less than a foot deep. I fished the Giving Pond this past weekend.
All-in-all I prefer Pocono lakes and also Mauch Chunk. Before the Nockamixon Dam was built the Tohickon was a great Rock bass and Pickerel stream.
No Cicada's noticed in Delaware river area yet.

They're emerging here in Adams County - saw a few this evening - but very sparse so far and off to a slow start.

The last emergence they were gangbusters in Shelly, north of Q-Town but almost nonresistant in Coopersburg and points north.

I've seen two in Eastern Berks so far...

Certainly seems like this is gathering steam relatively slowly, no? There were scattered reports of adults in PA maybe 2 weeks ago or more, with more and more adults being spotted along the way. But it doesn't seem like it's accelerating at the pace one would expect. Perhaps that's just anticipation creating impatience, though.

GL: Both slow roll (probably due to drop in temps) and anticipation. I don't remember this much the media coverage of the last brood.

I remember fishing Brood II back in 2013 and looking back at my pics the fishing didn't really heat up until early to mid-June. That was in the Poconos/Lehigh Valley area. Absent of a consistently warm May (which didn't really happen), I think hoping for hot May cicada fishing is a bit ambitious. Plan on things getting going be the end of the first week in June, once they hit the trees and start to become fish food. It's tough to be patient, because it feels like time is standing still, but we're not quite there yet in SCPA.

I plan on taking a shot at them on June 6 north of Harrisburg. That should be close to the right time.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
I plan on taking a shot at them on June 6 north of Harrisburg. That should be close to the right time.

Yeppers. Oddly enough, I found them on Clark's Creek back in 2013.

wgmiller wrote:
Fly-Swatter wrote:

Yeppers. Oddly enough, I found them on Clark's Creek back in 2013.

Likewise.

I think I already posted this, but the fishing is typically not good soon after emergence.

It takes a while before they start flying around and getting onto the water more.

I don't remember how long they are around. Three weeks or so? But the best fishing is later in the event, not earlier.

Saw my 1st cicada and clearly heard them today in Ralph stover state park in upper bucks.

They're off to a slow start here in Adams County. In '87 and '04 they just exploded and were everywhere very fast. This year, they seem to be taking their time.

The 2004 emergence lasted a bit over a month.

We have them in Boiling Springs .Perhaps they will be in big numbers in a few days.

The cold from that brought a steady all day rain here yesterday, really plunged the temps.
I read 48 degrees on my deck thermometer this morning.

Although the forecast is for slowly warming temps the next few days, I'm guessing this is gonna delay emergence even further

I will be in the western Poconos though Monday. I haven't heard any yet.

They were buzzing all along Lake Nockamixon this weekend but I didn't see any on the water. Very few on the ground or flying around.

Back