Cicadas Spring of 2021 in PA

Whatever you do, don't do that with spotted lanternflies! Although, I'm sure you've already been infested with them.

Should be getting close!!

Has anyone seen any yet. Nothing for me near Westminster, MD, but I hear Northern VA and even in Towson, MD they are showing up now.

Does anyone recall whether yellow breeches was a good spot for tossing cicadas?

Kingscott wrote:
Does anyone recall whether yellow breeches was a good spot for tossing cicadas?

Not in 2004 based on my experience (things may, of course, be different this year). This brood is heavier further south.

I can't wait for it.
I know a ton of carping spots that should be on fire.

Going to be better than an elusive Hex hatch.

Theres a few showing up in Montgomery County the last 2 days

I really wonder how many will actually end up on water?

Out of the billions that emerge, only a small percentage. But certainly enough for the fish to gorge on!

A lot more than you think.
The last time this emergence happens in central PA this fishing was spectacular. Hundreds of them washing down by the minute and trout were taking them very easily.
It was like fishing a giant Caddis because movement helped.

I might be wrong, you may not see any in Central Pa. for 4 years. Just a here say!

I live in SEPA not central but the last time Brood X hatched in central I was there.
No "here say". It was nothing short of phenomenal.

Really surprised they aren't here in Lancaster yet.
Just have not seen any.
Ground has to be 50 by now

I found ONE dead cicada under a table on my deck in Berks, however not a sound of them in any trees nearby or anywhere I traveled nearby or places I fished.

For me, a repeat of the last emergence.

Went camping at Pine Grove Furnace, Cumberland County, this weekend. Saw three at our site. One of which hung on our trash can most of the day.

The loud sing of mating, louder than the yell of me! I have not heard a chirp, and i am around!

All set with a cicada leader, glad i held off. Leaders are perfect, so are my friends the fisherman. Remember, friendship, comes before paper!

Got the leader without a bug is like holding a cob with no corn!

Maxima12

"How bout that one fellows".

As i get older, cicada, i am. Only come out when it hits 60. Sun light, whiskey, fish!

Earth before here, returned, earth, his choice!

Beast Buster and Gorilla Fighter!

Maxima12------ and heavy smoker! I smoke, i am still sending the signal for CHARGE!

My son and I took a ride to Nockamixon State Park yesterday to hunt for cicada.

We saw a bunch on trees along the road leading to Haycock launch just off 563.

We went to Lake Towhee park. A bunch close to the launch.

We saw none at Ralph Stover.

We saw none on the water at any of the places where they were present.

Cicadas we found were in isolated clusters. When they were present, they were numerous (dozens on each tree, hundreds in the grass and shrubs). They were in various stages of emergence. Not a lot of noise, but I suspect that's because they just emerged. It seems like it's still early in norther Bucks County.

I hope they continue to make their way north.

My sons went camping at Lake Raystown this weekend. Cicadas covered the tent. They were quiet.

Back