Cicadas - did it happen ?

AndyP

My memory isn'twhat it used to be but wasn't this summer supposed to be some kind of double whammy cicada brood hatch event ? If so..... did it ever happen ??

Cicada.jpeg

My memory isn'twhat it used to be but wasn't this summer supposed to be some kind of double whammy cicada brood hatch event ? If so..... did it ever happen ??
Next year is the emergence of brood XIV. This is the one that will create phenomenal fishing in Central PA.

I have learned that I will just begin caring about cicadas whenever I see them and begin to see fish eating them. When that happens, I will hit the vise, tie some flies, and go fishing. There is too much hype and hullabaloo regarding them and then....nothing.

Just last week I was looking a cicada fly I created in 2004 for that year's Brood X emergence.

I never even knotted the thing on because the emergence was so localized I didn't see or hear a single cicada in the areas I fished in both 2004 & 2021.

If I was smart, I'd tie up a bunch for Brood XIV and sell them for $5 a pop to the folks that think they'll be important fly to have next year... 😉

The only times I’ve actually seen fish going bonkers for them has been on Brookie streams. But, all but the biggest Brookies struggle to actually eat them. I fished a Cicada pattern for about an hour and went about 1/50 on hookups. Switched to a normal Wulff or EHC or whatever and they ate it just as well like normal and I hooked and caught far more.

Was actually more fun to just sit and watch them trying to eat a natural one as it drifted the entire length of the pool.

Last edited:
When they emergence hit the greater Harrisburg area in 2021, you had to look for places that had a heavy prevalence of the bugs. Middletown reservoir was absolutely overrun with them. Much like Swattie described, a bug on the water was attacked, mainly by bluegills, who could not swallow anything. Every cast led to my fly being pulled under, but only a few hook ups. Every time a largemouth got to the fly first, I hooked it. It was lights out dryfly fishing for as long as I cared to cast.

I had maybe my best ever dry fly fishing day on the Yellow Breeches in an area inundated with them. Any fish spot yielded a strike. Since I had intended to tie them up to carp fish, a too large hook made for fewer hookups. Any fish that found the hookpoint came to the net, including my first ever wild 20" brown.

Early in the emergence I fished Muddy creek in York county and could hear them thundering away from the next ridge over. But no takers and no bugs where I was fishing.

In short, I'd say, go find the bugs near fishable water, and you'll have a blast.

When I was high school or shortly after I graduated, carp were just devouring every cicada that hit the water on Raystown Lake. I was on a boat bass fishing. We were sitting in deep water, but those carp were just cruising around eating those cicadas as soon as they hit the water. It was a very impressive sight to see, and I have never forgotten that experience.

Since then, however, I have never seen a fish eat a cicada. It has all just been hype.

Back