Chill Chaser

djs12354

djs12354

Was out today on the Tunkhannock Creek with Dan (Moonbeam) and getting pretty chilled when this guy took my Green Weenie. Nice hold-over rainbow. Seemed to be in good health, nice and chunky.

Dan and the Heritage Angler both told me many times that the pleasure increases when you are catching fish on flies you tied yourself. Certainly is true for me.

Only thing that sucks is having to try and improve my fly fishing abilities while trying to learn fly tying!

Attachments

• March 15 2013 bow.jpg
    March 15 2013 bow.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 14
Congrats Dave!!! I always feel like the fish I catch on my own ties are just a *wee* bit bigger than someone else's fly....I guess size does matter

Maybe it's positive reinforcement?

The best was catching that Lackawanna Brown on the mini-bigger, First fish on a wooly bugger and it was my own tie, pluse a decent sized wild brown!

I get enjoyment when other people catch fish on my flies. Lets me know im doing something right.

Nice job, Dave. Fly tying and improving your fly fishing all goes hand in hand. You will start to really gain confidence in certain patterns and your ability to catch fish using particular fly fishing techniques. The confidence you gain is HUGE. Nobody can stand in your way at that point. The sky is the limit. Hope you have a great upcoming year with your fishing and tying. Tight lines!

dc

Congrats djs!

I bought my flies the first couple years I FF'ed. Then I finally took a tying class over the winter - and really think it was one of the best things I've ever done.
And I can still remember the extra gratification of catching fish on my own flys the following spring

Thanks, Guys.

All the positive feedback and gentle critique from everyone sure helps with both the fishing and tying aspects of this sport.

PS - When we headed to the LL after lunch today, I gave my friend Pat one of the mini-buggers I tied to use, and dang if he didn't get into a couple of fish. He hasn't fly-fished in a while and the look on his face was priceless!

He also gave me what I think will be great signature line - When I saw his line pause, I asked him if he had a strike. At first he said he was just hung on the bottom, then turned back and said:

"Wait, that rock is moving!" :-D

Back