Chest Packs Vs. Vests

JustFish

JustFish

I like a well designed vest personally. I just got a filson for christmas and I love it. I like to have everything I might need and think for me a chest pack doesn't have enough room to be prepared. Note I have had a chest pack before, I just didn't like it!!

What do you guys think? What works for you?

I like the chestpack.
I like the feeling of the chestpack over the vest, plus I think the visual asthetics are much better over that of a vest.

I have a Down's box and have a lot of the bells and whistles with it (2 gink holders, 2 side pouches, 9 trays, and most importantly/comfortably the backback) Now I do have about $240 wrapped up in it, so I think I'll be using it for awhile.

However, I have gone through a revelation that less is better and truely believe that 1 small fly box with 20 or so flies, a couple spools of tippet, and few other small items is all you need. I have fished like this and stuck everything I needed for entire seasons in the small pouch in my waders. I especially do this for Winter and while brookies fishing take about 12 flies and a spool of 5x and slide them in a cargo pocket. (but I will continue to wear my downs because of said reason)

All in all, comfort is everything.

It's a highly subjective decision. I bought a chest pack and can't stand it. I don't like to have my vision obscured in front of my feet and my hand space obstructed. Also while initially learning to cast I often had loose line hang up on the pack. Switched to a Fishpond vest and like it so much I bought a second one. First was light weight for short trips, especially in summer. Second has a pack with enough storage for a long day trip deep into the mountains. Both have the same pocket design so when I'm on the stream I don't have to think about which pocket holds what.

Continue to struggle with the best setup for myself. This year I have gone with a lighter setup.

If your fishing waters where you need only about 10 different nymphs and 10 dries. You should be able to get away with 2 smaller type boxes which usually can fit in front pockets of a fishing shirt.

Been using the angler dangler onto which I connect,tippet spools, nippers,hemo's,line straighter which rarley gets used-, gink,and sometimes split shot.

In my wader pockets I put my camera and my keys. Also in the pockets,indicators and extra weight sometimes.

This works out just fine. My problem comes when it one of the longer trips where I have to put my water and lunch in my waders and or carry a raincoat in my waders. If no all day fishing or no rain it is a snap.

Been using a super small water filter this year so I dont have to lug around a full water bottle. Just have an empty water bottle and the small filter which is about and inch around and maybe 5 inches long.

Downs boxes are nice if you need many flies or an organizational freak. You can also put indicators and weight inside the box. My problem is it is wrapped your back and because I was fat I could'nt see my feet. Hate the vest because to eat or get the raincoat or reach water you had to take it off. Might be a minor irritant to some though.

If you're a compulsive carrier of everything you think might possibly ever need on the water, as I am, going to a chest pack is an act of good mental health, lower back preservation and self-discipline.

Chest packs also make more sense to me at 55 than they did at 35.

I started using one this year.

But I still carry too much stuff..

I have both. I like the vest for everyday fishing because I have everything I could possibly think of in there. I typically only use my chest pack for long hikes and brookie streams because it is less weight, which allows me to move faster and stay fresh all day long. Even though the weight is probably about the same at the start of the day considering I carry a 1.5 liter camelback on most of those trips.

I never got used to chest packs, but I had a chestbox for several seasons and like that. I had the 3 tray model. I liked the harness and added a couple things on to hold the odds and ends like weights, extra fly boxes and tippet. A chest box holds a LOT of flies, especially if you are messy like me and throw 2 or 3 patterns in the same partition! :-D

I switched to a chest pack about 5 years ago and haven’t worn a vest since. Although I didn’t like the first chest pack I bought for the reasons that Tabasco Joe stated, obstructed view below and line hanging up on it. I bought another one with two compartments that hang to each side and a small backpack in the rear. It works great. I can carry everything I need, and I carry a lot of stuff. It’s way more comfortable and practical than a vest for me. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I just got a Richardson after years of vest wearing.

Richardson: 3 tray model.
Pros: Lots of flies, they're easier to see, easier to get to, easier to organize, and you basically have a table right there. Holds my floatant readily available. And a pouch on the front holds my tippet where its easier to get to. Cooler than a vest, more ventilation. Much easier on my back. Maybe its because I don't take as much unneeded crap, but its lighter. Don't have a problem with visibility, though I am fat.
Cons: Line does hang on it. Had to put a pouch on the strap for keys, shot, flashlight, etc. Leader straigtener, nips, thermometer, and forceps hang off the straps and swing around when I walk. On rare occasions if I'm carrying a lunch along I'll still have to wear a vest, in addition to the chest box.

Vest:
Pros: You can carry more stuff.
Cons: You end up carrying more stuff. Its harder to get to and easier to lose (I always left pockets open and leaned over). I can't keep it organized either.

What about neck lanyarns? :-o
Anyone wear those?

MKern wrote:
What about neck lanyarns? :-o
Anyone wear those?

Yup everytime I go fishing I have one on. I keep my clippers and license on one and then I have one that has my forceps, ginks, and tippet on it.

I am like a lot of you here in that I go back and forth. I dislike the confinement I feel with the vest and many chestpacks do seem to get in the way of my fishing. I picked up a William Joseph sling a few yrs ago and have kinda stuck with it for whatever reason. It's really light and really comfortable. There is only one touchpoint on the body and that is the sling that ties the chestpack to the backpack for want of a better term and it just goes over the head. No clips or anything. I can fit 4 boxes (2 in the front and usually 2 in the pack) and everything else I need. I can even stuff a bottle of water and a granola bar in the backpack if I want to. Access to the backpack is as easy as twisting the pack. It has 2 of the Simms style retractors and a little tippet dispenser system that I don't always use in it's intended manner on the front. All in all, a real decent compromise.

Williams & Joseph was the answer to aching shoulders and vests soaking up water when deep wading. A really nice pack. Still haven't figured out what the clear horizontal plastic strap was for on the back just below the neck. It got in the way of the net magnets so it got cut off.

When I first started fly fishing, all by buddies wore the Richardson chest boxes. And I tried them out several times.
As others have noted, I just didn't care to have all my stuff sitting on my chest, and felt it obstructed my view some
I started wearing shortie vests, and still use them. But I do admit that it can get a little confining at times - like when I have to carry a raincoat in the back, or have heavy clothes on during cold weather

Just fish wrote: "I like to have everything I might need and think for me a chest pack doesn't have enough room to be prepared."

I switched over the a CP from a vest a while back and everything fits in my chestpack that I had in my vest, and than some (some empty pockets left), and I carry a lot of stuff. I actually got a hydration pack model and took the bladder out and use the backpack as storage.

Dryflyguy, I carry my raincoat lunch, a drink and extra do-dads in my pack. Also I have bungies on the pack so I can take off my jacket or shirt when it gets warm and lash it to the back.

Happened to jump on the Cabelas site to check out some of the chest pack features mentioned in the thread and noticed they had a number of chest packs on sale.

afishinado,

Do you have a fishpond with that backpack built in? They're pretty nice butt what do they cost? Some that I liked are 189 bucks. I just don't see myself spending that much. The Filson I got was $119 but it was a gift otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I did use another brand chestpack. It wasn't that comfortable. If I were to get one it would probably be a fishpond. They're pretty nice.

Albatross from the board has a nice chest/backpack. I think he got a good deal on the price. Maybe he'll chime in.

I have some friends who are always thinking of ideas to make a living off of fly fishing. (more a fantasy I think)

My thought is one area that has gotten more attention but has not been perfected is the VEST/CHESTPACK. Maybe that is the space to start.

The manufactures need to take alook at this free market research their getting here. They could save money and a years worth of time if they would just read this thread.

Justfish,

I have the old model Orvis hydration pack. I don't really like the new model, it seems to be more of a vest. Mine has a backpack and two seperate compartments on each side held together with straps. I bought it on sale and I had a $25 coupon I used, so it didn't break the bank. $189 is way too much to pay, for me anyway.

You really can't go wrong buying Filson anything. They made quality stuff and it should last a lifetime. Good luck with it.

I personally would never get a chest pack. I love vests if you find the right one with enough pockets and big enough pockets. I have a Orvis Tac-L-Pak and personally feel its the best vest I've ever gotten. I carry a lot of stuff with me and at my age and size I have no problem doing this. I don't think I'd like anything in front of my chest because I don't ever zip up my vest.

Back