Chest Packs Vs. Vests

Cabelas Bargin Cave- dont find packs much cheaper than this.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat603536

Wetnet:
If it is the Confluence it is for ease of carrying and to hook your net to. I like you hook my net into the upper compartment and it does impede the magnet that way...

It is, but my son still cut off the clear horizontal strip. He has long arms but short patience when returning his net to catch his next fish. He loves the pack however. He had an Orvis which I inherited a $100 pac and it wears on my shoulder muscles as well after a long day on the stream. His Williams and Joseph Confluence has treated him right so far. He really likes it. I can't wait to see when he retires it for something better so I can inherit it up as well.

I have the Watermark Drake chest/backpack on sale for $30 in acristic's Cabelas link above. This pack comes hydration ready but without a bladder. You can pick one up at Wally World for $10 (a hydration bladder). I can get 3 flyboxes and a streamer wallet in the chest pack and everything else I own in the backpack. I am never without the things I need on the water. Worst case is I have to take the pack off to get in the back.

I actually just use a lanyard and a fanny pack because I like carry as little as possible. If I had to choose between a chest pack and a vest I would go with the chest pack.

Man, just was on a long hike-in fishing trip in the deep woods. Nothing beats a Richardson. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. It has been perfected.

You don't need to wear a vest. Zingers go right on the straps, so I got my forceps, nippers, and thermometer handy. What you do need is some sort of pouch, on the straps, or on the belt, for tippet, shot, keys, flashlight, camera, etc. Despite looking kinda gay, a fanny pack is perfect.

I just got one of these. It was a good deal at $29.
Don't know how it is on the water yet.

http://tinyurl.com/6d736f

I have worn a vest with a chest fly box for nearly thirty years and have no desire to change for most trout and bass fly fishing. For hikes into the wilderness I carry a small box with leaders, split shot, clippers and flies that fits in a pocket. I do like chest packs for saltwater. I seem to notice that a lot of new and younger fly fishers really seem to like the chest packs.

I have a chest pack because my son gave me his. I had a vest and didn't have a problem with it. The reason my son like some of the younger crowd of fly fishermen like them is because unlike me I have never had to take a swim. Vest's collect water and you may as well wrap yourself in a huge body towel. They do not dry or drain water quickly. If a vest is comfortable or you pack light don't spend the money. Chest packs ...good ones distribute weight across your shoulders so they don't ache and they drain water weight faster if you should dunk them. I have a very nice pack now. Don't nessarily love it over the vest I have. Looks cool though! :) Lots of zippers. Can never find my keys!

Back