Chest Fly Box?

M

maxima12

Are these good or do they inhibit casting and searching your vest. How do they react when wearing waders. Plastic or metal? Downs a Wmspt outfit. Talked to Downs Co., long time ago! At that time they were in process but working on hinge system. How do the hinge system perform? Chest box or fly box. Suggestions?

DaveW has been using a Down's Chest Box for decades. Maybe he will see this thread and comment to help you out.

maxima12 wrote:
Are these good or do they inhibit casting and searching your vest. How do they react when wearing waders. Plastic or metal? Downs a Wmspt outfit. Talked to Downs Co., long time ago! At that time they were in process but working on hinge system. How do the hinge system perform? Chest box or fly box. Suggestions?

DaveW has been using a Down's Chest Box for decades. Maybe he will see this thread and comment to help you out.

People have a love/hate relationship with chest boxes. I LOVE mine for a lot of reasons:

First, I hate fumbling through a vest looking for fly boxes. Having a chest box puts the flies right in front of me on a flat "little table" where I can see them and find what I am after quickly.

Second, using a chest box eliminated the need for a vest for me. I always wear a fishing shirt so I stash some small items in there and use a belt with pouches around my waist for the rest so I can’t speak to issues when wearing a vest.

Some people complain about not being able to see their feet, I get that concern (I guess), but I never had an issue wading where I felt the box was in the way. I never really need to see my feet right under me anytime. Watching out for what is two or three feet ahead of me is more important and that I can see just fine. I also never found the box to be an issue in regards to casting.

As far as metal versus plastic, besides the price, the Downs box offers a HUGH advantage in that the trays can be swapped easily so if you wish, you can buy extra trays, organize your flies and swap trays as needed or carry only what you need.

However, I prefer a Richardson (metal) box because it has a lower profile and a few other options I like. I overcame the inability to swap trays by modifying my Richardson boxes (I have two) so I can swap trays as needed. It isn’t quite as easy as swapping a Downs tray however I only do it a few times a year. The only negative I guess is it voids the warranty but being able to swap makes it worth it to me.

I should mention that I only use my chest box when fishing at places where a large fly selection gives me confidence. When I fish small wild trout streams, I use a shoulder bag with one fly box in it however; a chest box was instrumental in my quest to lose the vest. It took a LOT of planning and figuring things out BEFORE I took the plunge but I haven’t worn a vest since the late 1980’s/early 1990’s.

Deciding to use a chest box is like buying waders or wading shoes, you really need to try before you buy. Find a store or a friend who has ANY kind of chest box and put it on with a vest and go through the motions. If you think it will work for you and can envision how you will reorganize what you carry, then you can decide on metal versus plastic and other options.

Finally, more than a few come up for sale used, mainly because folks didn’t “try before you buy.” Their mistake can save you a few $$$.

Good luck!!

Additional reading:

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Gear-Talk/Chest-Fly-Box-/3,48843.html

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Gear-Talk/Old-flip-down--quot-chest-pack-quot--fly-box-/3,10637.html

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Gear-Talk/A-New-Chest-Flybox-Company/3,37263.html

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Gear-Talk/Downs-chest-fly-box/3,25537.html

I’ve owned a 4 drawer Richardson since 1973 and just love it. Whichever brand you choose, do yourself a favor and replace the straps with a harness like the one sold by Richardson. You won’t regret it.

Probably mostly because I'm old and too set in my ways, but the Richardson/Downs boxes or anything I wear on my chest for that matter, aren't for me.

I get too excited when I'm landing a fish, my mind blanks and I always end up bending too far over and dunking anything I'm wearing on my chest. Took me two high end chest packs soaked through to finally reconcile myself to the fact I'm a vest guy and always will be...

When I first started FFing - 40 years ago now - all my friends used chest boxes.
And I tried them on several times, to get a feel for using them.

And quickly decided they weren't for me. Just seems to add too much clutter to the one area I want to keep open as much as possible

I have 3 Downs systems: one with a full backpack, another with the small harness and another with just the straps.
I also have the side pouches for other gear,

I used to carry 5 trays, now just a couple.

I love it.

As I am becoming more of a minimalist, I could see just going with waders with pockets built in for a fly box (I only use a few patterns anyway) and tippet.

I do like the idea of being able to hand the Downs over to my boys soon.

RLeep2 wrote:
Probably mostly because I'm old and too set in my ways, but the Richardson/Downs boxes or anything I wear on my chest for that matter, aren't for me.

I get too excited when I'm landing a fish, my mind blanks and I always end up bending too far over and dunking anything I'm wearing on my chest. Took me two high end chest packs soaked through to finally reconcile myself to the fact I'm a vest guy and always will be...

Are you wading deep when that happened, and if so, doesn't your vest get wet too?

Or is your chest pack too loose or hanging too low?

I ask because when I am wearing my chest box or other chest packs I have, fitted properly to sit comfortably snug on my chest above my elbows, it would be impossible for me to get the box wet by bending over unless I was in water well above my waist or my head went under too. ;-)

It's supposed to be a chest box, not a "belly box" so it should ride high on your chest. In the case of deep wading, even a shorty vest hangs lower than my chest box.

I own two Down's boxes, an old 3 and a newer 5 tray with interchangeable trays. I also own two Richardson's an Ultralite 3 tray and a Deluxe 4 tray. I find myself using the Richardson 4 tray the most. It was my first chest box and I guess I am just comfortable with it.

When I started to fly fish my friend wanted me to try a chest box. I balked at the idea to start because I could not see my feet. He encouraged me to try his extra 3 tray Down's box, and I did. It did not bother me at all not being able to see my feet. I felt very comfortable with it after an hour or so fishing.

I have used chest boxes now for the past 16 years. The only time
I don't use one is when fishing small mountain streams. Then I use a small fly box tucked into the pocket of my fishing shirt. I also skip the vest then and wear a lanyard.

I recommend you find someone who owns one and give it a try before you buy as they are expensive. The Richardson much more so than the Down's. Those boxes to this date are the best investment I ever made in fly fishing equipment with the exception of several of my fly rod and reels. I highly recommend them.

>>Quote:

RLeep2 wrote:

Are you wading deep when that happened, and if so, doesn't your vest get wet too?

Or is your chest pack too loose or hanging too low?

I ask because when I am wearing my chest box or other chest packs I have, fitted properly to sit comfortably snug on my chest above my elbows, it would be impossible for me to get the box wet by bending over unless I was in water well above my waist or my head went under too.

It's supposed to be a chest box, not a "belly box" so it should ride high on your chest. In the case of deep wading, even a shorty vest hangs lower than my chest box.>>

I don't really recall. Like I said, my mind goes blank...

I have center of gravity issues, so I never wade very deep. I don't own a pair of full size waders. So, it isn't that. The 2 chest boxes I had were big ones, that may be part of it. It's probably more about calcified preferences and habits than anything else though, I suppose. I don't like any new music made after 1985 or so, either.

It can be hard to teach an old dog new tricks and it's even harder when he isn't really all that interested in learning them...:)

The metal chest boxes aren't something new-fangled.

The Fye box goes back to 1951, and Richardson continued making them with Fye's tooling, which is still being used to make the current Richardson boxes.

RLeep2 wrote:
...It's probably more about calcified preferences and habits than anything else though, I suppose. I don't like any new music made after 1985 or so, either...
I hear you on that, but my cut-off year is about 1965. ;-)

Do yourself a favor just use a vest. A lot of people went to chest packs when it became the latest rage. Most are back to using vests. The only downside is most vest are too small to fit over cold weather jackets ... then a chest pack / sling pack may be preferable. As for chest boxes, I think they are really neat just not for me.

I have a Richardson but I have gone to the Goertzen chest system about 5 years ago. I had my first one made for an Umpqua weekender box. The second one is set up for a large Wheatley box. They can be ordered for whatever fly box you prefer.
So its not a chest box exactly but a box on my chest.

I equate the Richardson boxes with Pennsylania anglers. I got interested when studying the books of George Harvey and Joe Humphreys.

I use a Richardson 3 tray. Love it. Best thing ever. Flies are right there, no digging in pockets. No dealing with different boxes to get the right one. Very minimalist, it carries a leader wallet, a ton of flies, nippers attached, floatant. Grab and go. Tippet lives in wader pouch. So waders, rod, richardson, out the door.

I got strip foam and tore it all out and glued C&F slit foam in mine.

The downs tray swap is a neat trick. But I'm not sure I'd use. Half the draw is the grab and go and you got everything with you aspect.. I like the aluminum too. Mine is green.

I use a Richardson 3 tray. Love it. Best thing ever. Flies are right there, no digging in pockets. No dealing with different boxes to get the right one. Very minimalist, it carries a leader wallet, a ton of flies, nippers attached, floatant. Grab and go. Tippet lives in wader pouch. So waders, rod, richardson, out the door.

I got strip foam and tore it all out and glued C&F slit foam in mine.

The downs tray swap is a neat trick. But I'm not sure I'd use. Half the draw is the grab and go and you got everything with you aspect.. I like the aluminum too. Mine is green.
I've had one for most of my years fishing. Sold it last year, as I have shoulder trouble. I've been looking for the smaller sized Joe Humphreys model, which is near impossible to find used. So, I'm looking for a three-tray, and will purchase the leather harness the company sells, as it's supposed to be easy on the neck and shoulders. The box is hard to give them up once you're in the habit of using them. They have new ones at Fisherman's Paradise, but they cost a fortune.

I dumped my vest and have been using a chest box since the late 1980's.

I started off with a couple of knock-offs that I modified so I could swap trays. Finally about 15 or so years ago I graduated to a real Richardson that I also modified so I can swap trays. Most of the time I carry 3 trays, but I'll bump it up to 4 or 5 when the need arises.

I also fabricated my own version of the "Amish Handmade Leather Harness" from nylon webbing to which I have attached two removable small pouches for stuff I access all the time.

Richardson Boxes aren't cheap once you fit them out, but when I look at the price of waders, wading shoes and fly lines, none of which that will last more than a few years, a Richardson chest box that SHOULD last forever is a bargain.

Good luck in your search for a used 3 tray Joe Humphries model, however I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait...

I tried my fathers years ago. Not for me. Not for him either. I’m not even sure what ever happened to it. He must have dumped it off. I think the advice to try before you buy applies here. I never have a need or a desire to carry many flies and theres no place to carry lunch In a chest pack.

I dumped my vest and have been using a chest box since the late 1980's.

I started off with a couple of knock-offs that I modified so I could swap trays. Finally about 15 or so years ago I graduated to a real Richardson that I also modified so I can swap trays. Most of the time I carry 3 trays, but I'll bump it up to 4 or 5 when the need arises.

I also fabricated my own version of the "Amish Handmade Leather Harness" from nylon webbing to which I have attached two removable small pouches for stuff I access all the time.

Richardson Boxes aren't cheap once you fit them out, but when I look at the price of waders, wading shoes and fly lines, none of which that will last more than a few years, a Richardson chest box that SHOULD last forever is a bargain.

Good luck in your search for a used 3 tray Joe Humphries model, however I have a feeling it's going to be a long wait...
Yeah, I know. You can add or subtract boxes on a Richardson? Wow.

Back