Chemicals found in NE Pennsylvania water wells

they may have to require disclosure to osha, but not to a state environmental agencies. I don't know, have to look into it. I'm sure the various agencies communicate as well with each other as the do with us, which means they don't! :-?

This about the thousandth story about Dimock. It's not new to anyone who's been paying attention. It's well known that Cabot royally screwed up several wells there through failure to seal the hole above the water table, resulting in methane and presumably frack fluid (which apparantly has now been verified). Very shoddy practice. They should get the book thrown at them, and this company shouldn't be allowed to drill any longer without some real heavy handed oversight.

But nor should we repeatedly point at the same Dimock failure as a "new" case.

tomgamber wrote:
Brownout wrote:

The MSDS sheets, who exactly assesses these chemicals and do you think they are tested thoroughly for all carcinogenic effects and dangers. I highly doubt it.

I believe it is the manufacturer and it is required by OSHA it is a personal safety issue more than a pollution issue.

MSDS Management. MSDSs are required for all chemically-oriented products, liquids, solids, and gases. They must be reflective of those products used, stored, manufactured, processed, produced, distributed, or imported in the workplace. Inactive MSDSs must be maintained for 30 years. Employers are required to make them accessible at all times to employees, and suppliers are required to make them available to end users upon the very first delivery of each product.

MSDS Origination. Those originators, inventors, or creators of chemically-oriented products must develop an MSDS for each product they provide for commerce. They must also accompany an MSDS reflective of the product upon the very first shipment to any end-user.

As Tom says each location requires a log book of relevant MSDS sheets on site. At my work location each lab has a log book just inside the door. This can be checked not only by OSHA but the local fire warden can inspect them as well. I popped around the corner from my office into a lab and checked the book. Some materials are listed as carcinogens. The sheets list fire dangers, human dangers from skin contact, eyes, breathing, and other.

bikerfish wrote:
they may have to require disclosure to osha, but not to a state environmental agencies. I don't know, have to look into it. I'm sure the various agencies communicate as well with each other as the do with us, which means they don't! :-?

DEP knows exactly what is in the frac fluid.

Could uranium be showing up in the frac fluid as well? Hmm....

http://www.sciencecodex.com/fracking_mobilizes_uranium_in_marcellus_shale

DEP knows exactly what is in the frac fluid.

No they don't each company has their own formula and do NOT have to disclose all information. One reason they (DEP) are trying to change the rules and make them discose all chemicals.

Back