Cheeky Reels

Baron

Baron

Unlike what you may be thinking I'm not all over the board with my line of questioning. I do prefer Click and Pawl. But for economics I have found the Cheeky Preload 375. I read allot of reviews and it seems like a nice reel. I have a bunch of credits at Cabelas and not much additional funding so it looks like this may be a nice replacement on the 7/8 rod. Then I'll hold out for the used or new Battenkill III I want for 5/6 rod.

Check out the Cheeky Preload 375 and let me know what you think. It will be used in weedy areas and for potentially larger freshwater fish.

Does anyone like Cheeky Reels.

If you felt you had a balance issue using your other reels with the Eagle Claw 7/8, you will more than likely feel the same way with the Cheeky 375 @ 4.7 oz.

Not knowing what your existing reels weigh, my guess would be for balance, you should be looking at a reel weighing around 5.5 oz to 6.5 oz. That pretty much eliminates any skeleton style reels which are really designed for longer graphite sticks.

The White River CLA 78 from Bass Pro Shops weighs almost a full ounce more and is $20 less. I'm sure there are plenty of quality heavier reels out there at a similar price point.

Bam,
how do you account for the weight of the line? does it matter? On my 7/8 rod I'm currently using a Martin that at 3.5oz feels like it weighs nothing. The rod is only 8'.

Baron wrote:
Bam,
how do you account for the weight of the line? does it matter? On my 7/8 rod I'm currently using a Martin that at 3.5oz feels like it weighs nothing. The rod is only 8'.

One of the problems with choosing a fiberglass rod is most modern reels are too light to balance them out. You end up holding up a tip-heavy rod all day, which is no fun.

As Bamboozle wrote above, the Cheeky would be way too light.

Medalist Reels are heavy > here

The 7/8 is listed at 7.6 oz. But IMO $150 is way too expensive for a click and pawl make in China.

Orvis Clearwater reels > here

Clearwaters have a drag and have been very dependable reels sold by Orvis. The LA IV is for 7-9 wt rods and weighs 6.1 oz. At $98 it's reasonable priced. If it is a bit too light you can always add some weight to it.

Good luck.

I honesty don't know what a whole fly line weighs because it is never published, but it isn't much, maybe an ounce or two for a floating line.

That's why I use the stated weight as my reference point.

A 3.5 oz reel is very light. As a point or reference, I use a reel that weight on rods no longer than 7'6".

Maxi might say that by using that Caddis creek reel on that classic glass Conolon 7/8 you are dancing with the cosmic mother of chaos. You need to balance that outfit by sacrificing to the patriarchal father of order, and get yourself a reel which was naturally meant to sit on that seat. As mentioned earlier, a USA Akron made 1495 or 1495 1/2 Medalist would get you right with the universe. A Martin 67A would also calm the ripples. Even a Shakespeare Omni 44 would be a fine choice for a budget minded angler looking to appease the red gods. Only half joking here Baron.

If it was me, I'd be looking at a vintage 1495 or 1495.5 Medalist as well. I think the new 7/8 Medalist is too heavy.

You can get a used 1495 in almost perfect shape for well under $50. If you want bling and improvements, add some One Pfoot or M-Parts as funds allow and you'll have a reel to be proud of that does the job too.

Right now I have less than one hundred $$$$. The Cheeky has a five star rating with six airbags and rollover protection. It also is preloaded with DTLine

Yo Baro - for fellow geeks, about 438 grains is an ounce. AFTMA specs for an 8 wt are 210 grains. That's for the front 30'. If you have a DT of 90', the whole line would be more than 3X that. WF would be less since running lines are usually about 0.030". So Bambo's estimate of an ounce or two is pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133468872963

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184361073039

The cheeky is junk and too light.

Baron. I am not familiar with the Cheeky reels but you make some solid arguments in their favor. And I can understand the desire for something brand new rather than a second hand item from an auction Site. Feel free to ignore my earlier tweets. Trust your instincts and get the reel that feels right to you.

I understand and it can be another year until I have the money to buy and line some of the classic reels. They are my preference but to get them takes cash. I also have a budget and won't break that for a fishing reel.
Remember:
-I have a small amount of cash and a bunch of credits on a gift card for Cabelas.
-Cheeky gets 5 star ratings on most sites and reviews
-Cheeky Preload is $99. exactly what I have.
-The 375 weighs 4.7oz. Then it has 90' of DT and 150 yards of 20lb backing. So now we are up well over 6.5 + ounces.
-Cabelas Clearwater is awful nice but I would also need line. I guess I could take the 8wt line off an old reel and load that.
- I could hold onto the gift card, maybe buy a double rod case and or a vest or waist pack.....things we talked about earlier.

Tups wrote:
Baron. I am not familiar with the Cheeky reels but you make some solid arguments in their favor. And I can understand the desire for something brand new rather than a second hand item from an auction Site. Feel free to ignore my earlier tweets. Trust your instincts and get the reel that feels right to you.

Baron wrote:

-The 375 weighs 4.7oz. Then it has 90' of DT and 150 yards of 20lb backing. So now we are up well over 6.5 + ounces.
I hate to keep beating this horse, but if you use the stated weight of a reel as a reference, when I say you should be looking for a reel around 5.5 - 6.5 oz, that means EMPTY.

Add the line & backing, pull about 10 feet out past the tip top and you have a balanced rod.

If the reel is light EMPTY, adding the guesstimated weight of line & backing isn't the same as using the empty weight as a basis. 4.7 oz EMPTY is probably too light, even with line & backing.

But, buy what makes you happy.

Well, If I would just learn to take advice I’d buy the Cabela’s Crosswater as it is 6.1. I have an 8 WF LINE I can put on it and I’m done. Crosswater is a significant reel and gets extremely good reviews. Then I can start collecting the other things I’ve discussed, packs, tubes, etc, etc.

Buy the way Bam. I hear ya. EMPTY WEIGHT. takes a while for things to sink in.
I was in on a similar discussion on another site. A couple members swore that worrying about balance is a waste as you get used to whatever you like, over time. While that may be true I’ve had wrist issues and the more Balanced a combo is the better for my old infirmities.

Les- what would cause one to remember such details this early in the morning? Thanks.

Moon- not junk. Just not classic and never will be.

Tups-we’re having a conversation here. Thanks for being part of it. I enjoyed your ideas, took them to heart. It’s this gift certificate thing that in the way. I see a chance to make out well.

Baron wrote:
I understand and it can be another year until I have the money to buy and line some of the classic reels. They are my preference but to get them takes cash. I also have a budget and won't break that for a fishing reel.
Remember:
-I have a small amount of cash and a bunch of credits on a gift card for Cabelas.
-Cheeky gets 5 star ratings on most sites and reviews
-Cheeky Preload is $99. exactly what I have.
-Cabelas Clearwater is awful nice but I would also need line. I guess I could take the 8wt line off an old reel and load that.
- I could hold onto the gift card, maybe buy a double rod case and or a vest or waist pack.....things we talked about earlier.

Tups wrote:

You do realize that Cabelas handles the Orvis Clearwater reels here.

But do what you think as best. All I can give is advice as best I could. You have fly line for the reel right now. When that free fly line wears out on the Cheeky, and it's probably an inexpensive one, you will be left to fish with a reel 2oz or so too light to balance your rod. Likely you will be looking to buy yet another reel that is more comfortable and user friendly in the near future.

I like to buy things that work well the first time, and keep them for a long time instead of constantly searching for something better. Doing that in the long run actually saves you money, and increases the pleasure of fishing, instead of constantly hunting for gear and tackle to find the one that works well for you.

I managed a fly shop for years and had customers that would come in and constantly buy new tackle and gear regardless of need or fit. That was good for business, but believe it or not, I tried to direct my customers to the make the best choice based on their preferences and fishing. I wasn't always right, but I tried my best. And my recommendation wasn't always the most expensive tackle and sometimes it wasn't even a brand we sold. More often than not, those FFers were satisfied and ended up being our most loyal customers. They returned to the store over and over to buy their gear and tackle. So in the long run it paid off for both the customer as well as the shop.

I like to buy things that work well the first time, and keep them for a long time instead of constantly searching for something better. Doing that in the long run actually saves you money, and increases the pleasure of fishing, instead of constantly hunting for gear and tackle to find the one that works well for you.

AFishman! I feel fortunate to have this group to bounce ideas off of. Im going to order the Clearwater 7/8 and be done with it. It seems to be a match made in fly heaven. Nothing against Cheeky. I love their stuff but I worry about balance.

What I'm trying to acquire is three rigs:
-7/8 fiberglass rod for smashing around in the lily pads and for Bluefish and, hopefully, Pike
-5/6wt fiberlass rod for trout and creek/river work
-3-4 for tiny streams and farm ponds, for sunfish and grandchildren, either or

The Orvis Clearwater presents an opportunity to put the big rod to rest. it's the only one I'll want to have a drag. The other rods will eventually be Clickers.
Of the choices, and at the price range, I believe Orvis hold the value the best as there are numerous older models selling for more than they did new.
Thanks All for grinding through it with me.
Afish I like your sales style. I'm a salesman and if you teach you customers, and they find your precepts to be true, you gain their loyalty.

Baron wrote:

AFishman! I feel fortunate to have this group to bounce ideas off of. Im going to order the Clearwater 7/8 and be done with it. It seems to be a match made in fly heaven. Nothing against Cheeky. I love their stuff but I worry about balance.

What I'm trying to acquire is three rigs:
-7/8 fiberglass rod for smashing around in the lily pads and for Bluefish and, hopefully, Pike
-5/6wt fiberlass rod for trout and creek/river work
-3-4 for tiny streams and farm ponds, for sunfish and grandchildren, either or

The Orvis Clearwater presents an opportunity to put the big rod to rest. it's the only one I'll want to have a drag. The other rods will eventually be Clickers.
Of the choices, and at the price range, I believe Orvis hold the value the best as there are numerous older models selling for more than they did new.
Thanks All for grinding through it with me.
Afish I like your sales style. I'm a salesman and if you teach you customers, and they find your precepts to be true, you gain their loyalty.

Good luck with that rig, Don.

Baron wrote:
Buy the way Bam. I hear ya. EMPTY WEIGHT. takes a while for things to sink in.
I was in on a similar discussion on another site. A couple members swore that worrying about balance is a waste as you get used to whatever you like, over time. While that may be true I’ve had wrist issues and the more Balanced a combo is the better for my old infirmities.
If you re-read my previous comments on balance, you will see that I more or less said a balance point is subjective, as in everybody has a preference. So when somebody says, "worrying about balance is a waste," the comment makes no sense.

What they probably meant to say but were ineffective at communicating is worrying about a "specific" point of balance is overrated. Some people (like me) prefer it at the winding check or in the general vicinity while others may like it further forward or back. We don’t have to agree.

However, if you do have a specific preference, then it IS important to your overall enjoyment of a combo. Subsequently, if you can achieve that balance by knowing what reel will give it to you, all the better.

This all goes back to your complaint about the balance point on your Eagle Claw rod being, “four inches above the grip” with your current reels. If THAT balance point doesn’t bother you any more, buy any reel you want and have a blast.

If it STILL bothers you, then you will understand all of the suggestions for something heavier.

Back