Cheeky Reels

Pardon the bloviating, I didn't see yours and Afish's last posts.

Congratulations on making a decision...

...finally!! ;-)

Bamboozle wrote:
Pardon the bloviating, I didn't see yours and Afish's last posts.

Congratulations on making a decision...

...finally!! ;-)

ARE YOU EXHAUSTED? hahahahaha
I see the experience you have, and others. I saw that three of you mentioned Pflueger Medalists. They're on the list.

Thanks everyone for your patience. The reel is ordered and confirmed. I hope to have it by the weekend. Now I have to see if I have a reel case for it. Would hate to bend it carrying it to the lake.......You know me!

Why don't you start a thread on reel cases...

...it might go three pages. ;-)

[color=003333]"What they probably meant to say but were ineffective at communicating is worrying about a "specific" point of balance is overrated. Some people (like me) prefer it at the winding check or in the general vicinity while others may like it further forward or back. We don’t have to agree.

However, if you do have a specific preference, then it IS important to your overall enjoyment of a combo. Subsequently, if you can achieve that balance by knowing what reel will give it to you, all the better.

This all goes back to your complaint about the balance point on your Eagle Claw rod being, “four inches above the grip” with your current reels. If THAT balance point doesn’t bother you any more, buy any reel you want and have a blast."

[/color]
Against all advice I bought the Pflueger Auto and have already broken it and returned it. It was heavy.
I learned something valuable about my preferences regarding balance and that is I really liked the butt heavy feel with my 6wt 7'6" Martin rod. I'm hoping to mitigate the tip heavy situation with my Eagle Claw with the purchase of this reel. Les mentioned the weight of DT line and since I never have more than 30-40' out the rest (on the reel) will go a long way towards balance.
But let not put the cart before the horse.
I have to dig out my backing from storage as well. The Martin reels that I have didn't have room for Backing so it is laying around somewhere.

Cheeky Reels are designed in Massachusetts but manufactured overseas in China. Get an Orvis at least they are made in the USA.

GeneBeam wrote:
Cheeky Reels are designed in Massachusetts but manufactured overseas in China. Get an Orvis at least they are made in the USA.

I did but where are the Orvis reels made?

Bamboozle wrote:
Why don't you start a thread on reel cases...

...it might go three pages. ;-)

4 if I word it right:lol:

Orvis Battenkill Reel made in England, Mirage Reels made in USA, Clearwater Fly Reel & Hydros SL it is not stated where they are made.

Interesting. I'd like to know.

GeneBeam wrote:
Orvis Battenkill Reel made in England, Mirage Reels made in USA, Clearwater Fly Reel & Hydros SL it is not stated where they are made.

I believe both models are made in China.

Machined aluminum reels made in the US are very expensive.

The Clearwater newer model is still made from cast aluminum and is manufactured in China, I believe.

For under $100 that's pretty much what one would expect.

Clearwaters have been known to be a decent reel for the money for a long time, and one would expect this latest updated model to be as well.

I was pretty sure they are made in China and, in light of China's foreign and humanitarian policies, its understandable that I didn't want to patronize them. However any boycott towards their products ultimately hurts the citizenry in that sorry country.
At the beginning of this pandemic I was in an Ace Harware Store. The clerk said to me (while peering down the emptying aisles) they're worried about having anything to sell before long as so much of their stock was made in China.
My Little Martin reels and half of my lures are made in China.
Well the deal is done and I'll have an Orvis Clearwater in a few days.

Hence the suggestions to look at vintage equipment...

I made a conscious decision well BEFORE the pandemic to buy American with everything from tools to fishing gear whenever possible. If not American, then some country not hell bent on world domination and culpable. The Pandemic has reinforced that decision and turned it into a downright boycott.

As a result, I spend more but buy less but I at least can look at myself in the mirror when someone starts ranting about the loss of US manufacturing or my Chinese toaster craps out in two months...

I shed no tears for the citizenry of any country that sheds none for mine and I make no apologies for my nationalism.

Dang, You got a Chinese toaster as well? Well I never.......

By the way, what is the pfoot on Pflueger reels. I see them as being kind of cultish, Like VW bugs cultishness, and am interested in some of the older models.

Bamboozle
Hence the suggestions to look at vintage equipment...

I made a conscious decision well BEFORE the pandemic to buy American with everything from tools to fishing gear whenever possible. If not American, then some country not hell bent on world domination and culpable. The Pandemic has reinforced that decision and turned it into a downright boycott.

As a result, I spend more but buy less but I at least can look at myself in the mirror when someone starts ranting about the loss of US manufacturing or my Chinese toaster craps out in two months...

I shed no tears for the citizenry of any country that sheds none for mine and I make no apologies for my nationalism.

I’m all with Bam on this, as he, I also have been really trying not buying things made in China before the pandemic, but now it is a full out boycott of anything made in China. To be clear it doesn’t need to be made in the USA but it can’t be made in China.

Two thumbs up Gene!! :)

Baron wrote:
Dang, You got a Chinese toaster as well? Well I never.......
There is probably nobody that doesn't, unless they are using grandma's Toastmaster which probably still works after 50 years...

Baron wrote:
By the way, what is the pfoot on Pflueger reels. I see them as being kind of cultish, Like VW bugs cultishness, and am interested in some of the older models.
OnePfoot & M Parts are aftermarket parts for vintage Pflueger Medalists and some Young reels.

Bill Franke, the founder of OnePfoot created the concept. Bill's original idea was to manufacture replacement reel feet because the factory Medalist foot didn't fit more modern rods.

After that he added a counterbalance for the spools, a much improved replacement drag washer that made reels not so equipped, reversible to LHW, a replacement drag adjustment knob, replacement handles and bling items like an aluminum latch cover, sculpted pillars and a round line guard; very desirable but only found on very old & collectable Medalist reels.

With OnePfoot products, you can buy a basic vintage Medalist for peanuts and if you add JUST the drag washer and the counter balance, you will at minimum have a reel that performs way better than the original.

If you go for what we call a "fully pimped” version with ALL of the available parts; you turn it into a reel that looks like a 1930's version, but in perfect condition.

I have fully pimped 1950’s 1494 in mint condition that I bought on eBay for $30. I replaced all the parts on it except those that have to be done by OnePfoot. Bill did the round line guard for me, added the sculpted pillars and I now have a gorgeous 60-year-old reel that looks brand new and purrs like a kitten.

M-Parts are essentially a copy of OnePfoot. I don’t know if they offer everything that OnePfoot does, nor do I know if the parts are made in the USA like OnePfoot.

Sadly, Bill Franke is deceased. Unfortunately when Bill passed, OnePfoot went from a business run by someone with a passion who cared, to a hobby with the new owner. As a result, there is barely any info on the OnePfoot website, I don’t know if you can still get a round line guard installed and you have to call the new owner to order. M-Parts on the other hand are easier to get through Bob Selb at the Classic Fly Fisherman in Lansdale.

Wow. I’ll be in landsdale tomorrow night.
I have always liked the inexpensive Battenkills but slowly I’m enjoying the Pfleuger more and more.

Bamboozle wrote:
Baron wrote:
Wow. I’ll be in landsdale tomorrow night.
Call first!

I won't have time as I'm trying to buy a car from Bergey's right there in town.
But good to know he is there. As time passes by you'll see me on the other site stirring things up over the classic reels. it would seem that eventually the Medalists reels and Fenwick rods will be a good fit for my budget.......once I stop breaking rods :-D

Back