Challenge to all Trout Camps

You can do all the things you outlined above as 'tweaks' or improvements to the conservation process, but moving forward with rivers restoration has to take place as a continuous process. Personally, I am of the opinion that genetics are not some stasis condition, but they are constantly in flux, adapting to diet, climate, and whatever other influences that improve survivability. Purity doesn't matter. Improvement does. I submit to you that the genes of stocked brown trout in Valley Creek today are not the same as those from the hatchery put in the stream in 1979. Same is true of brook trout in Colorado streams, etc... I'm not sure how many generations it takes for a hatchery fish to improve its genetic structure, but they do, and those fish have adapted quite well, at the expense of natives in the same watersheds. That's why I want to improve streams as the major contributor to restoring natives. Chasing genetic purity takes our eye off the ball, in my humble, poorly informed, but instinctual position. The original post was asking about unanimity of purpose. I submit that watershed restoration is the road we must travel together.
Absolutely spot on. Genetic purity is a dangerous road to go down. I'm not a fan of "strain" talk or subspecies or "heritage" populations. Suggesting that some isolated population has more value than the rest of the population means you've written off a significant portion of the species.

You can do all the things you outlined above as 'tweaks' or improvements to the conservation process, but moving forward with rivers restoration has to take place as a continuous process. Personally, I am of the opinion that genetics are not some stasis condition, but they are constantly in flux, adapting to diet, climate, and whatever other influences that improve survivability. Purity doesn't matter. Improvement does. I submit to you that the genes of stocked brown trout in Valley Creek today are not the same as those from the hatchery put in the stream in 1979. Same is true of brook trout in Colorado streams, etc... I'm not sure how many generations it takes for a hatchery fish to improve its genetic structure, but they do, and those fish have adapted quite well, at the expense of natives in the same watersheds. That's why I want to improve streams as the major contributor to restoring natives. Chasing genetic purity takes our eye off the ball, in my humble, poorly informed, but instinctual position. The original post was asking about unanimity of purpose. I submit that watershed restoration is the road we must travel together.
Genetic purity would be looming for a “heritage strain” instead or saying lets maintain the diversity of genes we already have on the landscape and maximize gene flow after selection events.

No ones advocating for genetic purity

I'm closer to the McSneek camp than the other 2 (just to be honest).

I can't disagree with his zealot comment because the native brookie stuff is so over the top it's almost comical at times. Burying me in studies, reports and theories isn't going to restore brook trout or change my mind to wanting brook trout in every creek. You guys need to sell that crap to people that make decisions and that's not PAFF members for the most part.

Like I posted before, brookie guys remind me of the vegan guy. Has to slam it into every conversation and try to convert you. It's kinda like a cult of sorts 😂.

Now sign me up for cold, clean water, restoration to watersheds and regulations that protect the resource 👍👍

I can't disagree with his zealot comment because the native brookie stuff is so over the top it's almost comical at times. Burying me in studies, reports and theories isn't going to restore brook trout or change my mind to wanting brook trout in every creek. You guys need to sell that crap to people that make decisions and that's not PAFF members for the most part.

Like I posted before, brookie guys remind me of the vegan guy. Has to slam it into every conversation and try to convert you. It's kinda like a cult of sorts 😂.

Now sign me up for cold, clean water, restoration to watersheds and regulations that protect the resource 👍👍
You know there's a block feature on the forum right? You don't have to submit yourself to all that nonsensical science stuff if you don't want to.

It sounds like maybe you're not privy to quite a lot of prior discussions on this issue. Stocking is exactly what Eric is talking about. Let's not devolve this into personal insults.
You are speaking for me.

If someone won’t change how they feel despite an accurate understanding of the facts I have no issue with that and thats totally fair. I post the research more explain what I am advocating for when I talk to those decision makers but also in hopes that people not at all familiar with it will get a general awareness of what is going on.
I think like you mentioned we already know what people agree on its fixing or protecting the streams themselves(in one way or another) or stopping stocking in the case of fly fishermen more and more. That’s certainly going to have a large positive impact on brook trout. But since invasive trout are number 3 in terms of threats in Pennsylvania and the EBTJV is saying we need to do removal and reintroduction in some places thats what we are advocating for successful or not. The decision makers hear this from the actual EBTJV, NPS, NFWF and others at symposiums for trout management. Until the general public is aware talking to decision makers is largely fruitless.

The EBTJV is saying we need to do removal and reintroduction in some places thats what we are advocating for successful or not. The decision makers hear this from the actual EBTJV, NPS, NFWF and others at symposiums for trout management. Until the general public is aware talking to decision makers is largely fruitless.
From a guy that doesn't really care too much about the brookie stuff, I'm all for the above post. Get it done. Remove invasive species and see how it goes. These are watersheds that I probably won't fish so I'm not overly concerned. I hope it does work and I am being 100% honest. Once people see the results, it should be better for all wild trout populations in the state. If you need me to lobby legislators on your organizations behalf, nope. You need to convince them, not me.

As a brook trout fan, personally I'd see that type of action as a MASSIVE win. And yet, there'd still be more to be done to truly secure the existing populations of brook trout in PA. And then more work still to restore a LARGE watershed or two to their full potential as brook trout-only watersheds.
Yep. Exactly. It shows that while an action may not be 100% "in line" with some brookie fans' goals/beliefs/motives (due to that action benefitting brown trout in some way shape or form, somewhere), it STILL would be an absolutely MASSIVE win for the "brookie camp," as it would also be for the "wild trout camp." The biggest win that either camp can ever dream of, that's actually controllable by humans. Can you say common ground? Doesn't mean differences can't still be acknowledged and addressed. That's all still important to discuss (introduced species and all that jazz). But it does mean there is SOMETHING that each group of folks can both work towards.
Everyone is happy (except for the stocked trout camp, in that particular hypothetical scenario).

The fisheries managers do not have the power to make these decisions.

They can only SUGGEST such changes. The actual decisions are made by a vote of the Commissioners, who are not biologists.
That's just the thing though.....they aren't suggesting such changes. At least that the public is seeing and able to comment on, and have the commissioners vote on.

Unless I'm blind and am just missing all these proposals/suggestions by biologists to end stockings on top of Pennsylvania's State Fish. Resource First and all that stuff...

I admit that I don't keep up with proposed rulemakings, notices, and such nearly as much as I used to, but I feel like anything involving significantly reducing/eliminating stocking on top of wild trout would have made it's rounds around internet forums, social media, news articles, etc.

Even if there was something in the past, they obviously gave up on pushing for it..... because there hasn't been anything recently.

The PFBC staff just isn't enthusiastic on the matter.

From a guy that doesn't really care too much about the brookie stuff, I'm all for the above post. Get it done. Remove invasive species and see how it goes. These are watersheds that I probably won't fish so I'm not overly concerned. I hope it does work and I am being 100% honest. Once people see the results, it should be better for all wild trout populations in the state. If you need me to lobby legislators on your organizations behalf, nope. You need to convince them, not me.
Thats fair, and even though it seems fruitless we never stop talking to them. Its just that the conversations will be much more meaningful when the general public is engaging them as well which is the goal in the near future. Anglers interested in getting it done faster help too despite not being who I refer to as the general public(more non angler or infrequently angler). So while I respect those that don’t have an interest completely, anyone who dose can write their representatives, the fish and game committees(house and senate), write tim schaeffer a letter, and teach one additional person about the issue who has nothing to do with it.

That's just the thing though.....they aren't suggesting such changes. At least that the public is seeing and able to comment on, and have the commissioners vote on.

Unless I'm blind and am just missing all these proposals/suggestions by biologists to end stockings on top of Pennsylvania's State Fish. Resource First and all that stuff...

I admit that I don't keep up with proposed rulemakings, notices, and such nearly as much as I used to, but I feel like anything involving significantly reducing/eliminating stocking on top of wild trout would have made it's rounds around internet forums, social media, news articles, etc.

Even if there was something in the past, they obviously gave up on pushing for it..... because there hasn't been anything recently.

The PFBC staff just isn't enthusiastic on the matter.
I have wondered myself if the staff may feel as we do on stocking reform but has a professional defeatism or fear of reprisal take. Hold after what happened to John Arway over stocking? Do they fear they will be passed up for a better job if they keep raising the issue? These are the questions i often ask my self.

Keep in mind Tim Schaeffer was inserted right after Arway was let go for and is much less responsive and engaging with the public than John was in my experience. Those elected officials were either terrified or livid when their districts were threatened to lose stocked fish over the license fee proposal and they imposed that term limit on John. I have a hard time believing the next person inserted was a big believer in stocking reform and wild native fish.

I have wondered myself if the staff may feel as we do on stocking reform but has a professional defeatism or fear of reprisal take. Hold after what happened to John Arway over stocking? Do they fear they will be passed up for a better job if they keep raising the issue? These are the questions i often ask my self.
I often wonder the same. It's either that, or they just really don't care. Or care enough to actively push for it.

Sad in either scenario.

Giphy downsized large

Yes you are wrong.
Ok. So stocking is off the table. Then let's get the environment cleaned up! That's right in my wheelhouse. AMD is a good place to start. Ag practices are technically more significant, but that's a bigger ball of wax. Still a lot of direct polluters out there. This is a fun site: https://echo.epa.gov/

List of Zealots advocating for native brook trout and against invasive trout including doing removals, recommending removals, or stocking reform.

Native Fish Coalition

List of Non Zealots

People who‘s fishing biasis cloud their conservation (Mcsneek)

The irony is no one is advocating removing any wild invasive brown trout from the places people actually love to fish in most cases unless you can’t het enough 3” brown trout
Something to consider. Did you hear about the 80k gal. spill on the upper Grayling Creek last summer. I don't think anyone heard about it because no-one fishes it anymore. Grayling creek is a failed reintroduction attempt. I was there and saw it myself. If people are fishing a stream without species bias they can still value the resource. If no-one is fishing it what happens when a tractor trailer rolls over spilling fuel into it.. No one cares enough to talk about it. A zealot is an uncompromising fanatic. That isn't an insult. The Native Fish stance is entirely uncompromising and you fanatically spread the science gospel justifying it. It's okay wear it.

Ok. So stocking is off the table. Then let's get the environment cleaned up! That's right in my wheelhouse. AMD is a good place to start. Ag practices are technically more significant, but that's a bigger ball of wax. Still a lot of direct polluters out there. This is a fun site: https://echo.epa.gov/
No no no.... In the context of the comment you were responding to. He was right about the OP.... I am totally focused on getting stocking stopped over wild trout. In that context you are right... I'm sorry.. My Bad... continue...

The Native Fish stance is entirely uncompromising and you fanatically spread the science gospel justifying it. It's okay wear it.
That's entirely untrue.

Back