Chain Gang Matuka

djmyers

djmyers

Here is a matuka pattern I am trying. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Chain Gang Matukas.jpg
    Chain Gang Matukas.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 8
have you tested them in a tub or sink, looks like they might sink tail first and upside down. otherwise cool !!

it sinks about the same as the body cause the body is loaded with lead.

way to go, was curious if you weighted them. should work great.

Interesting, but what is the theory with tying a fly that looks like this? Curiouse

Kinda makes me think you should be just throwing a castmaster.

movement and noise for one. would be good for off color water..

who cares how it sinks and rides...the goofier and awkward the better. IMO, I dont think it matters if a streamer rides upside down or not. If you are fishing it aggressively and depending upon the materials you use, you want it to do "weird" things to make it look like its dying or frantic. Just my take on it....neat and pretty streamers are not for me....well, I do like the mickey finns i just tied...

jeff

Pretty cool.... I'd like to hear a report on how they do after you wet them a few times.

LRSABecker wrote:
Interesting, but what is the theory with tying a fly that looks like this? Curiouse

Because chucking lures is more fun and more effective with a fly rod. No different than fly fishing for bass or in the salt... it's just chucking lures.

jayL wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:

Because chucking lures is more fun and more effective with a fly rod. No different than fly fishing for bass or in the salt... it's just chucking lures.

Show me the statistics that chuckin lures with a fly rod is more effective LOL

Well, probably not more effective across the board.

I do cover water more effectively since there's no reel or bail. Cast, twitch, strip, haul and cast again.

Regardless, if I ever see you FF in a warmwater stream (LOL) or in the salt, you're chucking lures just the same.

I see your point about how you would cover more water, but if you think about it, a retrieve with a spinning rod is probably quicker so you would be actually covering the same amount of water. We will test his theory one day on the warm water river I live by.

There is very little "retrieve" in fly fishing with streamers. A few strips and twitches, then pick up and cast again. If we were in a drift boat, I could cover the same log or rock 3 times to your one with a spinning rod. Cast, 3 twitches, cast.

Ok, I believe you. Guess I will have to get some instruction on how to fish streamers properly.

LRSABecker wrote:
Show me the statistics that chuckin lures with a fly rod is more effective LOL

Easy enough:

French for-profit trout anglers.

No? Not enough?

Spanish for-profit salmon anglers.

These are guys who depend on fishing with rod and reel for their livlihoods, in heavily pressured water, for wild caught, native fish all day in and out. They could fish with any method they choose and yet, they routinely will opt to cast "flies" (damn you, nymphing) with fly rods.

Why? Delicacy. A fly that weighs almost nothing does something that other lures don't do in water: Behaviour naturally.

Now, these bead chain matukas, well, I'm not so sure about 'em from that end of things, coz I bet they don't effortlessly glide along with the current (say what you will, but a proper classic featherwing is a thing of sublime beauty in the water), but sometimes the way of things needs to be shifted up a bit.

What spinning gear did is simplify fishing for the masses, and made it very simple to present lures to fish in a rapid manner. I disagree with Jay on covering water, but not with the effectiveness of chosen lure.

jayL wrote:
There is very little "retrieve" in fly fishing with streamers. A few strips and twitches, then pick up and cast again. If we were in a drift boat, I could cover the same log or rock 3 times to your one with a spinning rod. Cast, 3 twitches, cast.

Different strokes. I couldn't live with myself if I did it this way.

However, it plays to the strengths of a fly rod instead of its weakness, leaving my preferred style of full retrieves wholly on the side of wasted energy.

And hell, ObBeadchain Matukas: Try dubbing over and between the various segments, I've seen someone somewhere do it with the beadchain stone and claimed it provided a more lifelike appearance by restricting the amount and ease of movement.

Try dubbing over and between the various segments, I've seen someone somewhere do it with the beadchain stone and claimed it provided a more lifelike appearance by restricting the amount and ease of movement.

Why in hell would you want to restrict the movement on a minnow pattern, the beads produce some sound by freedom of movement thus attracting fish. the tail should move freely to imitate a real fish.

I really like the idea of using the chain , it's innovative and resourceful , i make a mini-clouser with the same kind of bead chain (for the eyes) that you can get from "Micheals" or one of those crafty places for pennies and by the yard. I'm with SandFly on the fact that that chain should move as much as it can. How about a wooley bugger with a chain tail?

sandfly wrote:
Why in hell would you want to restrict the movement on a minnow pattern, the beads produce some sound by freedom of movement thus attracting fish. the tail should move freely to imitate a real fish.

I'd think unless you're actively stripping it back in, its going to just hang there. Whereas, if you put some dubbing between the segments, you'll force a little rigidity into the link, keeping it droopy, but not just hanging down. You'll still have movement when you yank it through the water, though.

Also, you're less likley to suffer the issue of it wrapping around the hook bend, like a featherwing versus an actual matuka, since the section over the bead chain isn't connected to the body wing.

Back