Central PA Smallies

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

I am going to spend the weekend with my brother in State College in the middle of July. We would like to wade for smallies, on small to medium streams...nothing big like the J. We aren't looking to get into big ones necessarily, and we don't mind walking a little and moving around. Can any of you guys recommend a couple of streams within an hour's drive of State College that we could maybe explore? I'm not looking for honey holes, just general areas. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Bel Air, MD

I live just outside of State College and usually head to the lower end of the Little Juniata and the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata to get my Smallie fix. Most of the fish are probably in the 10-12" range with a few nice ones mixed in there too. I'd probably hit up the Frankstown Branch first as that is the stream that I usually catch numbers of fish on.

The Bald Eagle below Milesburg might be worth checkin out too. I rarely fish it, so I don't really have much advice on that one. Good luck.

Jay

The lower end of Penns might be worth a try too. It depends on how far you want to drive. I did catch a decent smallie in May about a mile down from Coburn. I was very surprised. He chased a woolly bugger 3 times before I got him. The word from the Feathered Hook is that the lower Penns turns into a smallie creek come July.

I second the vote on Bald Eagle. I have also caught sunnies and smaillies in May there. So, July should be even better.

Dear Steve,

You can get to the lower end of Pine Creek in about an hour from State College. You also might want to try the West Branch of the Susquehanna, it's right there at the Jersey Shore exit too. Go north on Rte 44 to go to the Pine and south to go into the town of Jersey Shore.

You could also run right down 322 and fish the Juniata below Lewistown.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Bald Eagle Creek upstream from the coldwater coming in from Spring Creek holds smallmouth bass. The flow gets very low, though. And there is a lot of shallow water. You have to locate the better pools. And the bass are pretty spooky in the slow moving flat water.

I live in the area and like the Juniata River for smallies. You can wade it easily in the summer.

Heading up this weekend to the Frankstown branch for smallies. Will probably end up on the Little J at dusk for a trout fix.

Back