Catskills 'cluster f***' JAM - 28 Sep-2 Oct and 12-15 Oct 2018

You lost more than I've hooked! Bad year for me but not giving up hope yet!

It’s all gonna click this trip for everyone. Fingers crossed the weather plays nice.

Roll call so far:

Krayfish
Stimey
Moon
Cms
CathyG
Fly-Swatter

On the fence for the 9/29 - 10/2 trip:
Morgan from Brooklyn

TimmyT
Tyger, where you at?
Smike.... bring it!
PhilC, you still alive? How about beeber?

1" to 1.5" of rain is predicted over the next 36 hours. That will leave us two days for some of that water to clear the system but I would expect it to be hi and maybe a little stained. That is, if their predictions come true. Probably should bring some streamer gear just in case.

DELAWARE RIVER REPORT / CONDITIONS SEPTEMBER 26, 2018

All of the rivers are high and off color this morning but the flows are already dropping. The release from Cannonsville has been increased to 1,499 cfs. We just had steady rain yesterday but it came down for hours. We should see the feeder streams drop quickly and the main rivers should clear. The West Branch will have the fall color to it if they keep the release high. We have some light rain in the forecast today and tomorrow but Wunderground is predicting around 1/4?. The weekend looks good with air temps in the 60’s, clouds, and luckily no rain in the forecast right now.

The River is puffed up a bit right now but it looks like you guys should have a perfect weekend for your fuster cluck Jam! The flow should moderate and the high temps (air) high 60's / low 50's. Maybe a little too much sun on Sat & Sun but don't complain the way things have been all summer! Water temps are fine everywhere. All branches are in play. Nice!! Good luck to all!

Hoping the water comes down a bit. The higher water should make presentation a little less critical though. Im sure streamers are going to be smoking at first light. Were heading up after work tomorrow. See the rest of you guys Saturday morning. We'll hopefully have a couple in the boat by then. Gonna head out at first light for some streamer action and then off to breakfast. Psyched, for the fishing too of course.

I'm not quite as enthused. While I don't mind high water at all, I'm not real happy to be getting water colored like a terracotta pot. The temperature has been good past Callicoon for weeks now. All sections are very fishable based on temps.... not so much based on the flows. More heavy rain is scheduled for my area between 6pm tonight and 6am tomorrow morning. If the Catskills get hit with another inch of rain tonight, Might have to pull the plug until the next 'jam' in 2 weeks. Look at the current status !!

Location Normal flow Current flow
Beaverkill 129 cfs 2150 cfs
Harvard EB 129 cfs 1990 cfs
Lordville (Main) 1140 cfs 12,000 cfs
Hale Eddy WB 625 cfs 2970 cfs

If it is a washout, I have to use up my vacation time so I'll probably just head up 2 days early for the October jam

Well, one group showed for Saturday. They streamer fished the WB. Got a solid fish almost immediately and that was it. They floated from Stilesville to Buckingham. Yes, you are reading that correctly. I am notorious for long floats but that float shames my efforts.

I met moon for a Sunday float. In search of cleaner water, we considered lower on the main, upper EB or lower EB. Main was super high and anchoring would be impossible. Settled on fishing the lower which was high but had some clarity. We managed to take a few fish on nymphs and dries. Lots of smaller / yearling bows and browns which is fantastic. Hatches were short lived but saw strong olives, stenos, ISO and caddis.

Now if we can get a few days without pouring rain, the second trip up should be fantastic.

Do I get a trophy for longest float, or at least one for only 1 fish in 22.2 miles? Insanity. First time I've ever felt like I was still moving 3 hours after we got off the boat.

I still wanna know who had a banner day on Saturday. Because....just....No.

Gene said the guides were putting 15-20 fish in the boat but I'm not buying it either. Maybe one boat had a good day but can't believe all boats did the same.

Moon did a test trip this weekend and did well. Unfortunately, the forecast is looking a little scruffy. Hurricane to make landfall in the next couple of days. The show will go on as scheduled.

Well, "cluster f***" was the appropriate name. We've now lost 2-3 boats due to other commitments.

Ever wish you could get an inch of rain and a 35 degree temperature drop the night before you went fishing? You're in luck!! BOHICA Season continues.

how was the fishing Andy?

Despite conditions that were , shall we say less than ideal, fish were caught. I personally posted my best day ever on the Lower East. ( my previous high was 2!?) my biggest was about 17”, I’m sure others did better.

I’ll try to post a few pics when I get a chance.

It was good. Good group of people and some good fisherman. Learned a lot and hopefully we'll do it again in the spring.

The group planned to meet on Friday the 12th. I decided to head up a day early and do a little recon and float with the dog (Kramer's adopted brother, Cody). The dog spots fish and then tumbles over the side in slow motion spooking the fish and he flounders to get back to safety.

We had less than ideal conditions as it rained pretty steady from 8:30 - noon on Thursday. Fog, dropping temps and rising water. As soon as the rain stopped, the wind died and the river came alive. 20-24 olives, lime green stenos and ISOs.

I had some luck finding rising fish on Thursday, caught a few, broke several off and hustled to meet the Yinzer Crew and my buddy from Brooklyn at Smith's Colonial after dinner.

The Friday float required driving around to see how much the rains had messed things up and checking gauges to see how the water temps made it through the cold evening. Last minute decision to float closer to one of the dams to find more stable temps was a good call. It was windy and miserable and around 2pm, the bugs came in numbers again. We picked off some fish feeding on the tiny olives but most were on the small side for that river system.

Saturday started out with another very chilly morning in the mid 30's. We knew it dropped the river temps again but selected what we thought had the clearest water without too big of a drop in temps. CathyG, FlySwatter and Moon rolled in to the motel at 9. We divided up and headed to the river. We had chasers on streamers, fish on nymph rigs and late in the day....risers. While the prince nymph is far from the best pattern you can use, you occasionally do hook stuff with it. Toward the end of the float, we passed moon and flyswatter. We got to watch moon fire it 80' right onto a fish, the fish ate and the line went tight. Unfortunately...fish on / fish off. Just past that, flyswatter had a fish boil on his ISO that looked like a beaver tail slap.

Sunday was going to be the last day for many of the guys. The Yinzer Crew was headed to the fly fishing museum and then home. We loaded 2 boats and hit the rivers again. The difference was we finally had a little sun. Very welcomed after 3 days of rain. The sun had caddis hatch which was followed by the tiny olives again. We managed to put several fish in the boat but no real monsters were netted.

Considering the flows, the air temps and the quickly falling water temps, we did quite well. I got to meet a few new people and had a blast. Thanks to all that came. Maybe next time, we'll beat mother nature since she's been pretty rough on us this year.

Attachments

• PA111198.JPG
    PA111198.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 7
  • PA111191.JPG
    PA111191.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PA111194.JPG
    PA111194.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 7
  • PA121202.JPG
    PA121202.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PA121216.JPG
    PA121216.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PA131220.JPG
    PA131220.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PA131222.JPG
    PA131222.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 7
  • PA131226.JPG
    PA131226.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PA141227 - Copy.JPG
    PA141227 - Copy.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 7
  • PA141229 - Copy.JPG
    PA141229 - Copy.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 7
Hey, who's the new pup?

He looks like a born and bred fish dog. :)

Thanks for the report, Andy.

This year was the worst ever for any big stream or river fishing.
Looking forward to next year.

You made lemonade out of a lemon for sure, and it looked like you guys had a good time doing it. Very good.

By the spring your fishing dog should be fully trained. Are you training him to point or retrieve fish, or both?!

In addition to the pics, we did catch a good many little fish that I'd call 'shake offs' in the 8" - 13" range.

The dog has now picked up on rising fish. He seems to miss every duck, heron, eagle and osprey but he loses his mind when we pass a rock or stick. LoL. I still have a little more training as he now realizes that jumping out of the boat won't kill him so anytime I get near an island, he's off to the races. Cody is actually 8 1/2 - 9 yrs old. Rescued when he was 3.

Back