Catskill Style March Brown

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I seldom tie and fish many Catskill style flies with hackle wrapped perpendicular to the hook. Most of my mayfly dun ties are either parachute or comparadun style.

But I do tie some March Brown Catskill flies because I find the insect is often active on the water and the Catskill ties can be manipulated on the surface a bit, much easier than the low riding parachutes or comparadun ties.

Here is a good video by Dennis Skarka of Catskill Flies, who has recently passed. This video is a good example of the techniques for tying the March Brown as well as many other Catskill fly patterns.

Nice to see Dennis again!
I had the pleasure of meeting him once at his shop.
An experience I'll never forget.

I still for the most part, tie and use catskill style flies.
They float well. And they work

Me too. All the classics. Q Gordon, Red Quill, Hendrckson, Grey Fox, March Brown, Light Cahill, Sulphur, BWO and Adams

dryflyguy wrote:

And they're easy to see.

redietz wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

And they're easy to see.
Easy for you to say! I do love this fly for its looks. It reminds me of how the royal coachmen and wullf’s are tied. I would not put floatant on this. Cast, let the wind and current move it around and strip it back wet. Of course I’m after bluegills in weeds With the float and crappie on the strip back.
Thanks for sharing.

When fishing MBs. I sometimes pull it under a bit at end of drift. Let it drift some more the work back in twitches. Sometimes the fish prefer it wet.

Read Art Flick. The guy, he loved MBs.

Tiger eye I realize I’m after BG and PK in still water but I often get the hits just when it transitions to wet fly on the retrieve.

Back