Casting in the yard.

ThePharmacist

ThePharmacist

I have decided to spend time casting as opposed to fishing. After a few sessions in the lawn I noticed that I have shredded up the first foot or 2 my fly line quite bad. Is this partly because I did not put a leader on?

Yes. tie a leader on to cast in the back yard,

Tie a leader on with a tiny piece of yarn for more realistic practice and remember to clean your line well after a couple of sessions on the lawn.
Also, when you nip the damaged section and re-attach your leader, remember to seal the end of the fly line with a dab of glue. This prevents wicking of water into the fly line *

*This tip from the Heritage Angler

Also use a needle knot or one that is slim and smooth enough not to hang up in the grass.
More than a few tips have been broken that way.
Trust me on that.lol

When I talked to Dan at Orvis in Downingtown - he told me absolutely NOT to practice in the yard because I would be back in buying line before I knew it....I guess you could get around this by getting yourself some cheap fly line so it doesn't matter much if you do mess it up?

Jimbo87 wrote:
When I talked to Dan at Orvis in Downingtown - he told me absolutely NOT to practice in the yard because I would be back in buying line before I knew it....I guess you could get around this by getting yourself some cheap fly line so it doesn't matter much if you do mess it up?

Sooo it would be better to do it say, on concrete. hot top, lava? Been practice casting on grass lawns for over 30 years. Never ever have I seen a problem with line due to it.

I practice casting on water. Local lakes are great, since not only are they "local" but you can often find unobstructed backcast room and can lay the line out onto water, which is where it is supposed to be lain. Tie a fly on the end while you are at it and you may even catch a fish.

I find watching your line unfold and land on water is way more helpful than in grass-- on water you can see splashes and what-not that will help you adjust the timing and trajectory of your casts. Also, on water, you can practice lifting the line into your first back-cast, which is as important a skill to have as the cast itself. A good pick-up may mean there is no need to do any false or adjusting casts, which can be crucial in low-water, sunny conditions.

On water, you can practice accuracy by focusing on some flotsam in the water and trying to cast to it.

I've casted on grass for a long time, no issues. But yeah, I use a leader. You do not want to do it on concrete, that's harder on the line. Was the end of the line all fray'd up? You might be snapping it too quick, your pause between backcast and forward cast isn't long enough. With the leader, you'll hear a snap. That's the indication you were too quick on the forward stroke. With flies on, you snap flies off that way too.

Contrary to JackM's point, and this might be more dependent on skill level, but I prefer to give myself obstacles when practicing on lawns. The more practice can replicate reality, the better. And the reality is that I have obstacles on the stream. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't need to practice!

Also, the yarn trick to replicate the fly doesn't really work for me. It's too light, or grabs too much air, or something. It's just much more "floaty" than a real fly. I either go flyless, or else I cut the hook off of a fly at the bend.

Be careful when picking up the line, though, as Pete points out. Knots and the fly occasionally grab grass and weeds suddenly, it's easy to keep lifting. If it grabs the thicker portion of the leader, the rod can break before the line.

Dandelions are hell at grabbing stuff. But if there's just a few, they make nice targets.

FiveWeight wrote:
Jimbo87 wrote:

Sooo it would be better to do it say, on concrete. hot top, lava? Been practice casting on grass lawns for over 30 years. Never ever have I seen a problem with line due to it.

Same here.

Another consideration is the drive to get to a body of water where you can cast. The closest two or three to me are approved trout waters and they are three or four miles away. Except for the Lackawanna, which I could walk to, but is is another ATW in my town.

4-5 miles? When I was your age we walked 22 miles back and forth to make a phone call, uphill both ways. If 69 bucks to ruin a fly line is worth the cost, go for it. I bet you won't catch a single bluegill though. :cool:

JackM (aka Young WhipperSnapper),

I used to bike twice the distance to go swimming, but that was back in the 70's when I was a teenager and thought it would be fun.

Also pre-knee surgery. (blew the ligaments playing basket ball with kids half my age back in 1998)

I Keep an eye on the line and have the replacement standing by for when and if I need it.

Dave

I mean, I've been flying fishing for a whole two days - so I wouldn't think I know much of what I'm talking about. I mentioned the idea of practicing in the yard to Dan, and he said sure, you can do it - but you're going to shred your line. So I didn't do it, especially after spending a lot of money on this whole set up.

Jimbo87 wrote:
I mean, I've been flying fishing for a whole two days - so I wouldn't think I know much of what I'm talking about. I mentioned the idea of practicing in the yard to Dan, and he said sure, you can do it - but you're going to shred your line. So I didn't do it, especially after spending a lot of money on this whole set up.

Guess maybe I may have been a little sarcastic on the reply. Didn't realize you were a rookie and all. I'm amazed that a guy at a fly shop would tell you something like that. Well kind of. I think every open house, special come cast our new rods, fly rod casting course, demonstration, how to show. With the expectation of someplace in an arena, convention center, etc. Has always been set up on grass. But here again I very well may be wrong. It's been years since I've been to stuff like that. They very well may lay down a thousand sq ft of astro turff for all to cast on nowadays. Somebody mentioned that water is the best. Agreed but not always feasible by any means. Yep, tie a leader on and yarn, old fly that you can clip the hook of off and I would think your lawn would be fine. Now saw grass out in a field.... That might cause some grief with your line in time.

I have and do cast in the yard, but not for any long-term practicing of my cast. I have done it after replacing my leader, perhaps to even up my reel, or when experimenting with leaders, also after making rod or guide repairs, or testing a new rod, as was mentioned. You aren't going to shred a line in 15 minutes to be sure.

But, I do think that grass will be way harder on the line than water, so if I wanted to just practice casting, for more than a few minutes, I would go to water and try to catch a bluegill even. I may go this morning, in fact... for practice.

Yeah - I'm still limping from all this money I put into it...I feel like I just voluntarily bought a very expensive head ache. But, I'm sure I'll pick up on it in time. Anyway - yeah, so if the guy at the fly shop says "Don't do this it will ruin your line" then I'm not going to stand there and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

However - you're right, they do teach those classes in the yard - I think it really comes down to how long you'll be practicing. I have a few small ponds near me, and the creeks are only 10 minutes away or so, so I'm not particularly worried about it.

The memories will out way any amount of money you put into fly fishing. My dads not a fly fisher. But the memories I have of going spin fishing with him, are what got me addicted to fishing. Which then turned quicklly into a fly fishing sickness!
X2 what JackM said about yard castin'.

Well said Phish - and I'm sure they will! I remember when I first started spin fishing for trout, I caught 4 opening day. Then I spent two very lonely weeks on the creek everyday after work and caught absolutely no trout. Trust me, it's embarassing when the 7 year old girl 15 feet down is pulling them out and you haven't caught one all day! Then one day it turned on - and I've been hooked ever since! I'm sure it will be the same with Fly Fishing =)

I cast in the backyard all the time and been doing so for many years. I use really cheap line but haven't noticed any damage to it.

Back