Casting in the yard.

I often practice casting during my fishing trips. It is actually the best way to practice. I'll fish out a hole or run on the stream and when I covered it fishing, I'll take some time to make some practice casts....roll cast here, curve cast there, sidearm under a tree branch...

On the water you can practice roll casting, trying to get good drifts casting and mending, casting around over or through obstructions and cover - something you can never do on the lawn. Just forget about fishing for a little bit, and practice.

I went to my local lake to practice casting for a couple hours. Turns out that I can still cast a fly line. I did however catch the same amount of fish that I could have caught in my yard. I still need practice on the catching part. Not even a look on top.

I often practice casting during my fishing trips.

I do the same. After flogging a hole, you wonder, "how far back under that branch can I get a fly", and you have at it. Then you go retrieve the fly from that branch.

If you only make casts you know you can make, you never improve. Push yourself. Find stuff you think you CAN'T do, and try. What's the worst that can happen, you have to walk out and get it?

What's the worst that can happen, you have to walk out and get it?

But, won't that just trash the hole for whoever happens to be fishing behind you??? Some people... ;-)

JackM wrote:
I went to my local lake to practice casting for a couple hours. Turns out that I can still cast a fly line. I did however catch the same amount of fish that I could have caught in my yard. I still need practice on the catching part. Not even a look on top.

Just to help you out, Jack:

A Look

:)

Dave

Back