Case for phone/car keys?

J

JasonC

If you use a waterproof case for your phone and/or car keys, which one do you use? Is it also buoyant?

I use one of the smaller Pelican Micro cases. But that is in an inflatable kayak. I'm not sure that even the smallest of them might be kinda big to lug around in a vest or sling pack. But they are about as water resistant as this stuff gets. I'm happy with mine..

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/micro-cases

When I am yakking rivers, I put the phone in one of these:

https://www.****ssportinggoods.com/...ase-20fnsuwtrprfphncspas/20fnsuwtrprfphncspas

I don't bother in lakes. The yak has a "mostly waterproof" pouch with a lid. The only reason I use it on rivers is that you take the phone out to take pics and then suprise, you hit a rock. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the LIFEPROOF case for my iPhone. It's waterproof, so I don't worry about submerging it. It can sink, but I fish small streams, so it's not an issue. I leave my keys hidden at my truck, so they can't be lost.

What kind of phone do you have? The vast majority of newer phones in the last 3 or so years are waterproof. I don't even bother putting mine in a case anymore. I do have it attached to a lanyard or leash though so I don't lose it.

I don't use one while fishing. When I'm kayaking I use an Ozark Trail drybox most often. I have an Apache box from Harbor Freight that was inexpensive and works well. And I have Pelican cases that are awesome, but they are expensive and overkill for what I'm doing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Small-Watertight-Dry-Box-Polycarbon-Blue/50109790?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=3634&adid=22222222421449455996&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-293946777986&wl5=9054675&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=50109790&wl13=3634&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9az_1ZcjN-IlbYut8Ig88pSaVQ9R70pKsGYR_TOUizHYPtjb_2UvC5BoCsEoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.harborfreight.com/550-weatherproof-clear-case-56378.html

The only difference between the Apache and Pelican cases are, the Pelican has an automatic pressure release valve. The Apache you might have to unscrew a thumbscrew half a turn. Though I prefer the OZ box without a relief valve at all.

Nothing worse than enjoying the tranquility of fly fishing ones favorite stream than to hear another standing in the stream conversing on a cell phone!

I USE ONE OF THESE FANCY ONES. DON'T TAKE IT OUT IN THE WATER.

WATERPROOF PHONES ARE MYTH. IF YOUR CHARGE PORT GETS WET IT WILL ONLY CHARGE WIRELESSLY UNTIL THE PORT DRIES OUT.

Attachments

• PHONE CASE.jpg
    PHONE CASE.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
That’s what I’ve done as well. Double zip locks and try not to take my phone out in water. I do have a waterproof phone and have dunked it more than once with no ill effect but prefer not to tempt fate.

tomgamber wrote:

WATERPROOF PHONES ARE MYTH. IF YOUR CHARGE PORT GETS WET IT WILL ONLY CHARGE WIRELESSLY UNTIL THE PORT DRIES OUT.

Trust me at least my Galaxy S7 is waterproof...now the charger is not. Let the phone dry a while and blow out the charger port and its good to go.

Thanks all. I only use my phone for the time, it stays on silent and rarely is ever used while I fish. My phone's definitely not waterproof, not even water resistant and I don't trust any case that claims to be waterproof beyond a splash from the sink or something like that.

bigjohn58 wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

Trust me at least my Galaxy S7 is waterproof...now the charger is not. Let the phone dry a while and blow out the charger port and its good to go.

MY S7 GOT WET. AS I SAID BEFORE IT STILL WORKED BUT I HAD TO RUN OUT AND BUY A WIRELESS CHARGER TO BRING IT BACK TO LIFE. WHEN IT FINALLY DRIED OUT ALL WAS WELL. BUT THATS NOT WATERPROOF IMO. MY S10 HAS GOTTEN SPLASHED BUT I HAVEN'T DUNKED IT. NOT GONNA TRY IT EITHER.

orvis waterproof pouch. slim and easy to use
https://www.orvis.com/silver-sonic-waterproof-pocket/8G3H.html

a "Joto" brand case. $8 on Amazon.

The combo keypad on the truck door was a dumb idea till I owned one. My buddy and I know each other's combos. Whenever we're hunting or fishing, the keys are locked in the truck.

I just take my chances with the phone. Since I charge wireless 99.9% of the time, I wouldn't likely notice if the charging port was out of commission for a few days.

Nothing worse than enjoying the tranquility of fly fishing ones favorite stream than to hear another standing in the stream conversing on a cell phone!
Yepper they’re usually the ones that dont catch **** either

The combo keypad on the truck door was a dumb idea till I owned one. My buddy and I know each other's combos. Whenever we're hunting or fishing, the keys are locked in the truck.

I just take my chances with the phone. Since I charge wireless 99.9% of the time, I wouldn't likely notice if the charging port was out of commission for a few days.
my keys are in my pants pocket under my waders. Touch a button on the handle and the car unlocks. As long as I'm standing next to it.

What kind of phone do you have? The vast majority of newer phones in the last 3 or so years are waterproof. I don't even bother putting mine in a case anymore. I do have it attached to a lanyard or leash though so I don't lose it.
I dropped my iPhone 12 in a foot of water this past summer and immediately retrieved it. That was after my heart fell into my stomach. Much to my surprise, I removed it from the case, blew of what little visible water was on it, and it kept on chugging. It makes sense that newer phones are at least "water resistant" and able to handle some amount of water exposure. I'm not willing to ever test this theory again, but it's good to know it's not immediate doom and gloom should it get wet!

Keys go in pants pocket under waders or in ziplock bag if not wearing waders. My older, small iPhone goes in a Snack size ziplock bag and then in an upper jacket or vest pocket. One nice thing about that is I can unlock it and record notes on the iPhone without taking it out of the ziplock bag. I normally record location, time, temps, weather, and for any fish caught, time, size, fly/lure. Comes in handy for writing up my "research notes" at the end of the day, especially if I hit multiple spots on one stream or multiple streams in a day.

Back