Carp

dc410

dc410

Has anybody gotten into any carp yet this year? I've been scouting a lot and they are just taking their good old time getting back into those shallow water feeding haunts. Guess I'm being just a bit impatient, just really looking forward to that first reel screamin' hook up of the year.

dc410 I found some last week and got one. They were earlier than usual because of the mild winter?? but I haven't been back since this cooler weather.

Good to hear Cody! Yeah, that streak of warm weather got my interest peaked. They're working into flyrod range. Won't be long.

I haven't been out yet. I've got some new water I'm itching to try though.

I've gotten a few on Stillwaters so far this year. Rivers still a bit cool.

During the warm spell my father got a big female full of eggs on the lower susquehanna. She took a black clouser on the strip while he was fishing for bass.

I caught my first carp of the year on the Brandywine this morning. It wasn't super shallow and I didn't sight fish directly for the fish but i'll take it. Through the deluge I could see what I thought was the large orange flash of a carp feeding so i tossed my black half and half in the general direction and twitched it slow across the bottom until the carp thumped it. It was probably 2-3 feet of water.

None here in Southwest PA yet. I've been checking from bridges after big rise and falls from rain, but it's been so dry here lately they haven't started moving much. We need a good spring blowout for a few days and I bet that'll get them moving around and spread out.

dc410...I haven't even bought my license yet (Insert loud gasp here),but I haven't forgotten that I told you of the massive carp in Hopewell Lake, and how you should come out sometime and teach me how to go after them in my kayak. I have not been on the water yet to see if they are active, though I figure if they are jumping around like mad that is spawning activity and they would be less likely to bite then.
When do you think is the time to try for them in still water?
I have a book on fly-fishing for other species than trout, and I believe carp may be mentioned. I'll have to see if I can find it.

acesedgley,

My experience has been that stillwater carp are usually more cooperative earlier in the season. Don't know exactly when they spawn due to many variables. Get out there, (after you buy your license) try to locate them and see if you can sneak up on 'em. I took a shot at one this morning at a local pond and totally blew it. The casting is a bit rusty to say the least! Then I stopped to scout one of my favorite "quick hitter" spots this afternoon and there was a pick-up there with a bed full of bowfishing equipment. My enthusiasm sank. Flyfishing for carp that are being shot at with arrows adds another whole dimension to the difficulty. I have lots of other options and hope to add some more this season. Movin' on!

dc...I gotta get license AND a 7 wt. If I do manage to hook one of those bruisers I'll bet on a broken 5 wt. Gonna do it soon. Another thing is the PFD wearing requirement. I have to get one of the less obtrusive ones or wait til May, cause the one I have is too bulky for comfort.

acesedgley wrote:
dc...I gotta get license AND a 7 wt. If I do manage to hook one of those bruisers I'll bet on a broken 5 wt. Gonna do it soon. Another thing is the PFD wearing requirement. I have to get one of the less obtrusive ones or wait til May, cause the one I have is too bulky for comfort.

I've landed a few carp over the years in the 28" class on my 5 wt. However, I never feel real comfortable with one on that outfit. I generally feel in total control on my 8 wt. A 7 wt. should serve you very well on some good size carp. Just don't high stick them, keep side pressure on them. Good luck!

They're back! Brought two of them to the net today. Nothing big but the one was a great fighting 22 incher. Good way to start off the carpin' season. It always amazes me how they all just seem to show up overnight.

good to hear u got into some . I got my license, but just haven't been able to get out. Thought when all kids were out of the house there would be more free time!

I'm still not seeing them shallow on the lower susquehanna. Water clarity and visibility were very good yesterday, I covered a good stretch of water and I didn't see a single carp in shallow water. From what i've heard the bow "fisherman" have already been out, so that probably doesn't help.

Carp are doing their thing at Hopewell. Saw a couple big ones cruising the shallow stuff at the boat ramp last night. Might try the 5wt later one after the rain.

Decent carp fishing at hopewell?

Jessed, I never tried with a fly rod as the weeds get pretty bad in the summer up shallow. People line the dam some nights with nightcrawlers and catch lots of carp. You'll see them jumping in the mornings in the summer, and can see some mud lines when the water is clear and cold in early spring at ice off.

They're starting to move into the shallows and I'm starting to see quite a few in feeding mode!

Attachments

• carp.JPG
    carp.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
Been seeing the same carp at Scott's Run in the upper end of the lake. Can't seem to get close with a boat without spooking it... Any tips on what to do to catch it? It's all mud, so wading is not a likely option, and there's no room to cast on the shore. Should I just anchor where it's always at and wait?

Back