Captured a spotted lanternfly

Make that 2 because I just killed another one.

I've got a large glorious white Ash tree in my yard that is model of health and shade.

Better check, sounds like a Black ash or Walnut tree. (which are unaffected ) If its truly a White Ash its only a matter of time (unfortunately not long as you noted)

Oh it's a White Ash unfortunately. I just happen to live in one of the last area to be affected in Northampton. If you straddle the Jersey border you can still find many Ash trees that are happy and healthy today. That's coming to an end fast though. Actually there are still plenty in Pike and Monroe too. Only the very far east is left.

Ironically I'm in Quakertown this AM and just stomped my first ever Lantern bug. I feel very accomplished. Wonder what the fly fishing prospects will be with these buggers. They certainly look like they will be a very tempting package once they get into areas where great trout streams are. My guess is that we are going to using Lantern Flys as an August staple for years to come.

Trout eat them. I captured a few and crinkled their wings and threw them into a nice hole on a small trout stream. They didn't float very long until a trout inhaled the bug. But hope it doesn't come to being a staple in PA.

Keep stomping

Saw my first two yesterday on my deck just North of Fogelsville,tried to catch one but he was too quick and flew into the under brush.

They've appeared in Whitehall this summer as well on my neighbor's grape arbor. Have not seen one across the street in our gardens yet. They are easy to catch in the open once you get the hang of it.

In Berks Co at Seyfert I was wading a small trib and reached a spot where a honeysuckle branch was arching over the 3 ft wide creek at eye level. I would estimate that 150 lantern fly nymphs were lined up head to tail on that one branch. Have NOT seen them along other streams this summer near Colebrookdale, Pine Forge, Eckville, Albany, Kutztown, Orwigsburg, Marsh Creek State Park, Downingtown, or Nockamixon State Park.

I know it's only a matter of time but I haven't seen one yet in my neck of the woods near Huffs Church in Berks County.

Last year they were everywhere...

The invasive species folks never called me back, i am guessing that means it wasnt news to them that lanternfly's were present in my area

Went out and took a good look around the tree where i found the first one but couldnt find any more yesterday. Hopefully that will be the last of them!

Today was the first I went actively looking and I sighted 3 of them on my property in Wallace Twp (Chester Co) this morning. Damn things jumped away before I could kill them.

The Orbweaver spider that has taken up residence in the corner of my front doorway caught one last night. He’s paying dividends already for me not removing him.

I trimmed the tree where i found them initially yesterday and did NOT see signs of any additional lanternflys

Back