Cape Cod this weekend

PhilC

PhilC

I'm headed up to Cape Cod this weekend. We are staying at my fiance's friends and her Dad fishes but doesn't fly fish. I'm thinking I should be able to get out and do some wading on Sunday but have now clue about this area...
I'll have my salt stuff with me so any advice is appreciated
Thanks

this time of year the water temps on the sound may be too warm for bass.

so try the bay side - early mornings are best - sandy neck, quivetts creek, wellfleet, pamet river.

ideally you want low outgoing or low incoming.

if you have to fish the sound side take tyger wire for the blues.

enjoy it. i miss it every week

Also depends on where you are staying...

Closer to the beginning... Always small bass (but still a heck a lot of fun) up in the Bass river... easy access on 6.

More mid-cape ...The point at Nauset is a great night time / early morning spot (hit the current seams depending on tide).

Out at the tip... Lastly, the rock pier at Ptown is great on an outgoing tide... the water rushes through the rocks knocking out bait. The fish stack up at the flows waiting for an easy meal. Boy, I caught some big fish there!

Were staying in the Chatham area, should have mentioned that earlier...

Chatham has some good areas to fish. The refuge(Morris Island), Pleasant Bay and Hardings Beach are a few good spots. There are a few fairly new breaks in the South Beach area which allows colder ocean water to move into the Monomoy Flats region also. I would suggest trying one of these areas at night with a dropping tide.

striperrams wrote:
Chatham has some good areas to fish. The refuge(Morris Island), Pleasant Bay and Hardings Beach are a few good spots. There are a few fairly new breaks in the South Beach area which allows colder ocean water to move into the Monomoy Flats region also. I would suggest trying one of these areas at night with a dropping tide.

imho its a bit late in the season for those spots due to high water temps - woods hole is 70F right now. too warm for stripers.

the bay side is 60F. right on the money.

cheers

Mark

Normally I would agree with that but since Atlantic Ocean water is entering the area on the flood tide (Morris Island) I think it's worth a few hours. I fished it in mid June and the water was cool on the incoming. It will probably still give up a few fish.

you might be right with the new break, but i'd think they'd be mostly smaller fish from the tub.

before the seals came you would of had a chance of cows following the bait in from the outside but not nowadays i think. too many preadtors around.

The folks were staying with decided to get a charter...we went out to the rips this morning and did well until some big storms came through. There was a mix of bass and blues, with pro all about 2/3 blues. I seemed to be the magnet for blues and lost quite a few flies. We fished all squid patterns. The biggest bass went about 36"

Back