Canoe. Kayak. Pontoon. Speak up!

i would say a pontoon, i had an orvis boat made by water skeeter and recently got the fish cat streamer xl ir.

Hi gfen,

Meet you briefly at the mini-jam. I understand your considerations on the pontoon being in the 230# range myself. I just ordered a Skyomish Sunrise ST from Scadden yesterday. As someone else noted the Scadden website is a bit messy, as I had never even seen the link posted above to the online store. The website is not reflecting the fact that the current Skykomish ST from Scaddens' site has lazer lock frame (no idea what the means) versus the older system sold at Cabelas. Two of us ordered yesterday directly from Dave. I will PM you details. When mine gets here next week I would be more than willing to meet up and let you try it out.

J

Lazer Lok frame? That sounds like some crap Andy would tell you. Be careful jdaddy. That guy is bad news.

BTW, was in Hamburg Bargin Cave yesterday and they had a Scadden Skyomish for $769! That is a great deal. It appeared to be in brand new condition with all accessories and not a scuff on it. Let the race begin. And yes, the Scadden Skyomish ST I bought last week for $999 should be arriving today or tomorrow! #@#*@!

I've had canoes, pontoon craft, small john boats over the years but once I got into the SOT kayaks several years ago, I have yet to look back. My wife and I fish off ours quite often and have had them in all types of fresh and salt water. For river fishing, I like the fact that I can paddle up current with little effort and using a drift chute, it's possible to hit all the productive water thoroughly. Lakes and ponds? A kayak is very stealthy if you are mindful of what you are doing, don't bang around your equipment and use the paddle to just sneak along. I have found that storage is not so much and issue if you pre-plan and pre-rig your fishing gear before launching. A crate set-up allows you to carry more tackle than you problably need as well as other essentials you need on the water. It may not be for everyone, but I find it to be a very good fishing platform with the benefit of comfort. You can launch a kayak just about anywhere and it has no more transport issues than any other similar craft. If you can, paddle as many types and styles as possible to get a feel for what will suit you the most. Wind is less of a problem in a kayak than in a canoe and that alone is a major plus IMO.

Jeff

Last time I flyfished out of a kayak was at Sayers lake when the US Youth team was there (i was just at my cabin, not with them) and I was like 15. I pulled my legs out of the kayak to rest them on top to air out, and I fell right out hahhaha. I didnt lose any tackle though so its all good

Gfen,

For what it's worth a proper sporting canoe is very stable.

I own an Old Town Osprey. A foam core canoe,, it''s 14 feet long and weighs 55 lbs. It's light enough to transport and load alone.Stable enough that I often stand while castng the fly.

I use both gas and an electric motor that mount on a removable transom.

The Osprey is not inexspensive but well worth the cost. HTH Dave

Back