Canoe. Kayak. Pontoon. Speak up!

As far as boats i use for fishing, i have a 15'6" canoe that i still use mainly when i take someone along with me to fish.

When i fish alone up till this year i used a kayak. But after it becoming uncomfortable and creating some unneed pain when fishing for extend periods of time, i sold it.

I looked around and decide to replace it with a Venture Outdoors Pontoon Boat. It comes with hard shell pontoons, oars, built-in storage and the ability to change leg position to make it comfortable for long days fishing.

Here is a link to it

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=3WB34IGA1ZESPLAQBBJCCO3MCAEFGIWE?id=0076135321390a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0850608&cm_ite=0076135321390a&_requestid=127049

jcspey

Attachments

• s7_321390_imageset_01.jpg
    s7_321390_imageset_01.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 4
This has been a great thread, thanks for the input from everyone.

Anyways, been doing some thinking, and reviewing past thoughts and what everyone's shared.

Originally, when I'd decided to give serious review to a moderately priced watercraft, I had looked at a series of pontoon boats. At the time, it made sense: Stable, built for fishing, flexible options and easy to move and store.

First I was told by a relative who's a serious bass fisherman that they were downright useless, although I suppose anyone with a bass boat that costs more than my car might be somewhat biased. Heh.

Once I started to look askance at the credit card and really look into what I'd need, I noticed a snag: The ones I would look at didn't hold much weight. Figure that just for me, I need a capacity to carry 300#, and then that I'd like to have the options for an electric motor and other assorted gear and you're pushing 400#, without some extra just for safety's sake. Suddenly, the options aren't there.

Enter the canoe. Do some reading, and most stuff tends to be about kayaks (I do sort of feel that kayaking is kind of a fad/craze in sports right now), and kayakers tend to downplay canoes. Fair enough, the biggest draw of the canoe is big loads and multiple people, but down on stability. Exit the canoe.

So, we're at kayaks. Truthfully, I worry about them. Everyone says they're stable, but I dunno. Still, I started looking and some kayaks are capable of having people stand upright, carry heavy weight, and generally be useful. OK, a kayak. So, that's how I ended here, more or less with the thought that it was a kayak or bust.

I think I've come full circle. It was HA's Scadden that showed me there's a few 'toons out there that can support heavy weight. Of course, they're not cheap, but then again, neither are fishing kayaks (seriously, $850+ for a hunk of injection molded plastic?!).

A pontoon boat still seems like the most logical choice given my requirements. Stable, compact, purpose-built to fish and capable of what I'm looking for. The downside is the cost. The Skykomish ST seems to hit the optimum point, $950 for 600# of overbuilt boat, and that's on par with the kayak.

Anyways, my order of preference is pontoon, kayak and a distant last with the canoe. Since I'm focussed on lakes/ponds and at most a lazy float down a local river, I guess we'll go back to pontoons, for now.

ps: Oh, and for those who suggested using a canoe or even a kayak with a second seat to take a kid out? Over my wife's dead body. And against my better judgment, too. :)

if you are looking for something that is stable i would get a toon....you have to try and flip one of them and i still don't think you could....i will vote for a toon i own two of them and the only downfall is to them that its alot of work to keep up with a kayak or a canoe.

Man, Northshore's website is useless...but when you find your way into their store, you find their Element versions. Ditch the casting platform, and the Madison is only $699, a more or less negligable increase (all things considered what you're dropping) from the closet competitor I would consider, the Colorado XT. I don't think I want, or need, a standing platform.

Scadden Madison ST Element

Scadden Skykomish ST Element

(FWIW, it appears the casting platform is a $450 option, so it makes sense to buy it if you expect you'll want it, and save $250 in the long run, but whatever)

This is my first post here, but the topic is interresting because I was trying to make the same type of decision last year. I ended up building my own boat--a pirogue--sort of a flat bottomed canoe. Check out Unclejohns.com It was fun to build, less expensive than most comparable boats, and best of all one of a kind.

gfen wrote:
Man, Northshore's website is useless...but when you find your way into their store, you find their Element versions. Ditch the casting platform, and the Madison is only $699, a more or less negligable increase (all things considered what you're dropping) from the closet competitor I would consider, the Colorado XT. I don't think I want, or need, a standing platform.

Scadden Madison ST Element

Scadden Skykomish ST Element

(FWIW, it appears the casting platform is a $450 option, so it makes sense to buy it if you expect you'll want it, and save $250 in the long run, but whatever)

If you get serious about buying one of these, remember the "H.A. Network". It will make you smile. ;-)

Well, now you are giving us a lot of info, seems like you are really undecided.

You did mention cargo weight being a concern, I have a Coleman Scanoe and while it is not the lightest most portable boat, it has a flat back with a transom and will take up to a 5 h.p. tiller motor.

I can walk around in it on the water and stand to one side of it and it will not tip. I garauntee you it is about the widest canoe they make.

Like I said it is not light but I can get it on top of my SUV by myself. I usually bring it camping with me, it will comfortably fit two adults and three kids, and has a weight capacity of 770 or is it 880lbs.

Like I said it's big, but I don't think it weighs over 100 pounds, bought mine used like 15 years ago for $100.

Edit: New models say weight capacity is 950lbs. and weight is 130lbs. they have a new look as well. I think the newer ones are heavier. i'll have to find a pic.

I'll tell you what though, it may be big and heavy, but you can't beat them for their versatility and capacity. You want a stable boat, check this video out, I love my scanoe. And I would't get rid of it.

And just one more video.

Code:
This is my first post here, but the topic is interresting because I was trying to make the same type of decision last year. I ended up building my own boat--a pirogue--sort of a flat bottomed canoe. Check out Unclejohns.com It was fun to build, less expensive than most comparable boats, and best of all one of a kind.

What kind of fishing are you doing in the pierogie?

Pirogues are usually for slow moving or still water, but the design is adaptable. I have used mine for fishing on local lakes--mostly for bass. It is nice because it only weighs about 50 lbs so I can load it on the car top by myself. I just built it last year, and I'm looking forward to using it a lot more this year.

I have an Old Town Guide 14.7 and really like it. I find canoes are great fishing platforms...

For what it is worth, I have a 12' Old Town Dirigo sit-in kayak and I love it. Works for me in lakes, on the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers and in the salt down in Barngat Bay.

However, I rented a different one out this past weekend in Florida. It was a 14' Wilderness Systems Tarpon sit on top kayak. It made we want to buy one. Very nice, stable and an extemely shallow draft that will allow you to cruise through 6" of water and sneak up on Redfish in the flats. No so important around here, but I loved that one as well. Retail is somewhere around $900. I would not suggest one of these for rivers. The sit in is much better.

Lastly, I would recommend to learn how to swim before taking a kayak on any body of water. At least be sure to wear a life jacket at all times.

I personally prefer kayaks and use mine a ton on area rivers, streams, and lakes. If you're leaning towards a kayak the biggest thing that you need to do, is try one out before you buy it. I know too many people that have bought a kayak based on anothers suggestions and ended up not liking it. Not all kayaks will work for everyone. I would suggest finding a local retailer that has "demo days", where you can try out all of the kayaks that they have. This way you can find what works and feels the best for you.

I've fished from both and own a Scanoe, but have been eye-balling kayaks for several years.
The kayaks I used to fish were a friend's and we fished with them on the Juniata.
For me, I found the kayak to be a limited, but excellent craft for this more specialized fishing, i.e., moving quickly and quietly through shallow water and minimized waking and spooking fish, one rod, very limited tackle and alternating with wet wading.
Anchoring the kayak was essentially grounding it lightly along the edge, or nosing it up on the backside of grass islands to approach water on the upside.

The Scanoe, as mentioned above is a car-topper with some heft, and while I have a 3.3 Mercury for it, other than the rivers and a few large impoundments (Blue Marsh for example) there are few places remaining where gas engines can be used in PA. However, electric motors do well, even on the smaller rivers.
I can carry several rigged rods, cooler (use cooler surface for work/equipment surface when necessary) and with a couple of pulleys and carabiner-like pieces easily purchased from a farm supply or hardware store, I have a quick and dependable front anchor I can release from the rear, and a rear anchor to hold position.

It doesn't do well on large lakes with large waves, but for most of PA water bodies, it is more than sufficient, quick to take down and put up (have a system). But I wouldn't use it for only a couple of hours. If for quick in and out, one rod, and not covering much water or distance I'd fish with the kayak.

I praise kayaks however. Kayaks may help establish navigable waters in the future!

I have a 12ft native manta ray (sot), very stable. I fish mainly rivers for smallies. The sit on top is the way to go if you like to wade fish. Easy to get out of. But, a solo canoe is another option. I plan on doing some salt water soon.

I own a sit on top, a sit in and a canoe and have found that for fly casting the elevated position a canoe puts you in to be the best. I use the canoe the most out of all three craft from lakes, ponds and flat moving water to calm back bay salt. You also have the freedom to move you legs more than in a kayak which is nice for longer days. On a serious note, you might feel silly doing it, but try and learn to swim. If you re going to be out in small paddle craft you owe it to your family and to those charged with your safety (fish and boat comm. Coast Guard, etc). A nearby YMCA will have an adult class. Please go.

If a guy with a name like that votes canoe over kayak, that's gotta mean something.

For the guys encouraging swimming, I'm not disagreeing. I'm not saying I won't, but I am saying that no matter, I'll never be a strong swimmer, and so my insistence on stability is important.

Stability and you are seldom mentioned in the same sentence. ;-)

Please, I prefer to be described as "eccentric." Makes me sound endearing and not creepy.

I've got an Outcast 9' pontoon last year and had a blast. Upgraded to a Skykomish ST this year and I'm dying to use it. The weight capacity is nearly 3x that of the Outcast and it has the standing platform.

My fishing partner has a WaterSkeeter 9' and after checking out my Scadden, he's ordered one. Very sweet but a little expensive.

Back