Camp Pics, Let's See Em

I have a camp and do my share of tenting.

Camp -

Advantages = real beds, roof, heat, running water inside, more space per person, full kitchen and utensils, refrigerator. Electric to charge phones and GPS batteries, etc. Washer and drier so less clothes are needed on long trips. Less planning necessary for trips. Can leave a lot of stuff there, so less packing to go and return as well. We have a TV (no reception, but a DVD player with it). Just overall much more comfortable.

Disadvantages = not mobile.

Tent:

Advantage: Mobile.

Disadvantage: Everything else.

Its nothing special but neat and tidy on the inside with a wood stove and eden pure which heats the entire place in about an hour. We have electricity and spring fed water system. The best part about it though is not the camp but the front yard is on the WB Delaware. I would live there if I could.

Attachments

• IMG_1429.JPG1.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG1.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0080.JPG
    IMGP0080.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 3
I love tenting too, but I love the cabin and like mcwillja (which is a nice place, by the way! Love the exterior!), I'd live there if I could. For me it's not just about having a cabin, it's about the history that's in the place. It's very special to my family, even more-so in the past almost 2 years.

Unlike Pcray, though, we have NO TV or washer/drier. One time someone tried to put a TV in there...that didn't last. The conversations that happen around the table or in the living room around the wood stove is the best part. TV would kill that vibe.

The Camp I belong to, no electric, wood stove, outhouse, Creek 35 feet below cabin straight down.

Attachments

• Camp Jan 2013.jpg
    Camp Jan 2013.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3
I agree. Back in the day we had a tv but only like one station, and only if the roof antenna was pointed just so. Picked up stiller games and that's about all the use it got. Lately my brother has been into hunting videos and mounted a flat screen above the gun rack wall. I'm not a fan.

Our camp too has a lot of history which is evident in the decor. My grandfather and his buddies built it in the 30s. Eventually the others slowly stopped coming, and my grandfather's family took over. We still have the original charter and abide by it. The exposed pipes are obviously done by an amateur, but it all still works.

One of the coolest things is the book. It's a journal of every visit ever made, and picture albums as well. Unfortunately much was lost in the 85 tornado, which is it's own piece of history. We found pages all over the neighborhood for years afterward and tried to piece them back together. But still, pre 1985 the book is incomplete, a patchwork of old stories. One of my favorite activities is to go back and read about really old hunting and fishing stories, and try to match them up to old pictures, ancient maps, and the like. You find out there were old beaver dams in places you wouldn't imagine, see pics of Kinzua dam being built, realize the entire ANF was a brush patch, etc.. Occasionally nuggets that lead to an unknown stream or two

Even reading about trips when I was a kid is pretty cool.

Most appliances are hand me downs. I always remember when my uncle "upgraded" the range. Left a note on it saying it didn't work. On the porch was the old range, with another note saying free to a good home, works fine, lol.

I am a big zero when it comes to posting pictures. Perhaps my daughter will give me lessons. Our cabin is located in Clinton County, close to Kettle Creek State Park. Go across the Leidy iron bridge, turn right, and go up the mountain. 600 square ft., 2 bedrooms, and electric. We don't have running water (well, we have to run to the state park for water). My wife and I love camp life. 5 minutes to Kettle Creek, 35 minutes to Young Woman's Creek, 45 minutes to Sinnemahoning First Fork, 20 minutes to Cross Fork Creek, and just under an hour to Slate Run. Plus plenty of tribs in between.

We had a rash of break ins. They'd break the windows then climb in. We put broadheads around the inside of windows. Next time showed up to a broken window with blood stains inside. That problem ended quickly but the blades are still there.

Home security system!

Didn't you say before that the person breaking in was kinfolk, Pat?

We have log books as well (no photos), going back to the late 60s I believe.

Hey I know where that's at! I'll have to stop in and see you if I'm FFing in that area!

Here is our place, 1 trailer and 1 cabin with a nice stream 200 yards below the cabin. A small pond for the kids to swim and a lot of land for the kids to explore. A slice of heaven for my family!

Attachments

• Moosehead 051.JPG
    Moosehead 051.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Moosehead 021.JPG
    Moosehead 021.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Moosehead 016.JPG
    Moosehead 016.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Moosehead Fall 061.JPG
    Moosehead Fall 061.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 4
JackM wrote:
I have a portable unit that I move as close as possible to the bathroom. I don't dig holes:

Subliminal campaign advertisement.

We've got a couple of log books.

Didn't you say before that the person breaking in was kinfolk, Pat?

Sort of! We'll call it "distant" kinfolk. :)

He got some stitches, and an offer to join (and pay up, always need more dues payers, you know?), or not come back unless in the presence of a member. He chose the latter.

It wasn't the broken windows that really got to us. It was that he didn't know how to prime and run the water system, but used the toilet anyway. You can imagine what it was like to come to camp after being empty and shuttered up for a few months.....

Pat I just smelled your camp thru my computer after reading that

Oh dude, anyone on the board who has been to my cabin knows we have full color pictures with VERY clear directions on how to turn the water on and off, with clear steps on how to drain camp between Labor Day and Memorial Day, and guess what...we still get into camp with burst pipes because people didn't drain it right!!!! And conveniently, it's always those people who fail to write in the camp log!

Yeah, draining the system is important. The most important is the antifreeze in the front AND back of the toilet. Oh, and turn off the hot water heater BEFORE you drain it.

and turn it back on AFTER it's filled!

I always keep a working supply of elements because of people burning them out. We need a better vetting system to let members into the "hunting club" other than whether they're kinfolk to the charter members haha!

Back