cameras ?

I tried a number of higher end cameras, $300 range including a Pentex and Nikon, and found that I hated the photos in the most basic of conditions. Low light seems to be an issue in most of these cameras. Most seem to be cheap cameras in waterproof frames. I ran across the Fujifilm FinePix XP10 and got decent results with both "normal"photos and underwater photos. Most of my photos were in the pool which tends to really point out flaws. I am pretty happy with results of photos and videos. This camera has spent more time submerged than practically any camera you can imagine. My kids left it in the pool, on the steps, fully submerged in caustic pool water for over a week and it was still charged and worked like a champ. I bought it at Ritz Camera for like $150 with a $50 rebate.
I guess my point is, in my experience, even the higher end cameras have "ok" results (i may be a snob) and if you HAVE to have underwater capability then get a lower cost waterproof camera. But honestly, underwater camera photos of fish is about as inspiring as wet cardboard to me, thus i would suggest a decent $100 camera that uses standard AA batteries and if you drop it in the drink just write it off.

Dear Jdaddy,

I have an Olympus TG810, I like it but frankly I like your idea better.

Like yourself, underwater shots of fish do nothing for me and I personally have no interest in video capabilities either.

I've bought a couple $ 20.00 cameras on ebay that take decent pictures and use AA's. They are even easier to write off than $ 100.00 ones. ;-)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I use an old Pentax Optio WP. Not that I'm interested in underwater photography, just that I don't want to have to replace the camera when I take an unexpected dip. I do wish it had a real viewfinder. The LCD display is hard to see in bright sunlight. I will give the camera 5 stars for being waterproof. I forgot it was in the pocket of a pair of cargo pants once and sent it through the washing machine. I remembered just as the washer finished the final spin cycle. Camera came out clean and fully functional. Not sure how it would've fared had I sent it through the dryer...
:)

We all just need to get the camera that Tomitrout uses, his photos are amasing.

Back