Camera or GoPro or neither

Dear Bamboozle,

If you need to resurrect an older digital camera check Amazon for knock-off batteries. They are a fraction of the proprietary batteries and I've purchased batteries for Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, Nikon, and Canon cameras and they have charged reliably on my existing battery chargers. They register in the camera and provide equal or better performance that the OEM batteries too.

I bought 2 batteries and charger with a wall plug, a European style wall plug and a 12VDC cable made by Wasabi for a Nikon D300/D700 for $ 22.00 from Amazon.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Bamboozle,

If you need to resurrect an older digital camera check Amazon for knock-off batteries. They are a fraction of the proprietary batteries and I've purchased batteries for Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, Nikon, and Canon cameras and they have charged reliably on my existing battery chargers. They register in the camera and provide equal or better performance that the OEM batteries too.

I bought 2 batteries and charger with a wall plug, a European style wall plug and a 12VDC cable made by Wasabi for a Nikon D300/D700 for $ 22.00 from Amazon.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I'm very leery of knock-off third party batteries. They may be cheap, but the chargers and possibly the batteries lack overcharge protection. In short, you might be one step from burning down your house by saving a few bucks up front :) Even things like power strips can be sketchy - I didn't pay attention to the reviews when I bought a "power tower" off Amazon (basically a nice compact eight outlet surge suppressor, with USB charging ports for phones). It's not UL listed, which likely means it's made with the cheapest components possible, to get it to us American consumers. Like the concept and form factor, but a little nervous to use it in real life.. Or have it take an electrical surge..

I lost my wifes go pro at the bottom of penns creek... Still haven't told her

troutpoop wrote:
...I have a fairly nice 16mp point and shoot camera I had planned to take. My wife has been encouraging me to get a GoPro to take... ... Not sure I want to haul around batteries, mounting stuff and try to turn on and off etc.

I would definitely take a camera. I know what you mean about carrying extra stuff. Personally, I just take a small point and shoot that I can stuff in my sling pack while on the water. Even then, I'm always worried about getting it wet or dropping it or whatever. However, I am never sorry that I brought a proper camera on big trips.

May I refer the OP to the updated FFing Best Practices as laid out in the new January 2020 memo...

IT IS OK TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
1. Entice a Trout to eat something that is not food, and then
2. Jab a sharp prong of metal into their mouth by force, and then
3. Drag them around by a thin piece of rope until subduing them, and then
4. Bonk them on the head with a rock. (Provided the season is open, harvest is allowed on the water you are on, the Trout is of sufficient length, and you are under your daily allotment.)

IT IS NOT OK TO:
1. Take a Trout's picture, or condone the taking of a Trout's picture.
2. Operate, or condone the operation of a kayak in a Trout stream.
3. Walk a dog, or condone the walking of a dog along a Trout stream.
4. Operate, or condone the operation of spincasting equipment.

Take them both...That's a great trip, that you'll enjoy having the memories of. They don't take up that much room or weight in your luggage. Then you have options when you get out there based on what you're doing and what camera option will work better. If you're sold on just one or the other, I'd go with the P&S, more versatility.

Back