Caddis Larva

This the same as the butterworm you did, too? Furled thread there, then brushed out?

yep, easy to tie and works great.

and some have dubbing;

Attachments

• 5-31-09 001.jpg
    5-31-09 001.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 4
gfen wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:
You do realize how much of an *** you sound like? Seriously your going to try to tell me that anything we tie will work and they are just dumb fish? Jerry (you see I called you by the name that you don't mind not the one you really hate, just shows I am not that mad) Anyways, you talk all high and might about all the fancy flies and only the best of stuff. You go out spend tons of money on fancy equipment and materials, and then you try to tell me, that they are just stupid fish and whatever you tie will work? Maybe thats why you don't catch more fish? Sure, your right, they are dumb fish, but they are still smart enough and sometimes picky not to eat anything that just floats by. Now shut your hole and stop being a D-wad. O, and if you are so concerned about to many steps and how you don't need to make anything fancy, stop tying royal M F wulffs.

By the way, before I tied the one I posted about, I tied one of those shark ones earlier today.

Ok, done venting, still like ya creeper, but sometimes you just have to shush.

Wait one more thing, if you wanted to criticize the tie, I am fine with that, but you had to go all into your dumb TL;DR novel, thats what annoyed me the most.

tl;dr.

O no you didn't!!!!

Jdaddy, thats what I was going for. Jack delete my profile please :)

Seriously though, I figured I would just post a pattern that seemed to be pretty killer for me. I mean as fly tiers and fisherman, we are all after that legendary pattern, the Holy Grail, that just annihilates fish right?

I agree, it looks like a caddis/mayfly hybrid, but hey, it worked right.

I prefer a simpler wire ribbed- fur dubbed body, ostrich head and a bead.

I also echo what fishidiot wrote: many people oversize the bead. I tend to use the smallest bead possible and tie the body of equal thickness. Not the triangular-tapered body found in the orvis fly tying manual, but then again, that style also catches fish

I tried the larva-lace, stretch tube, V-rib style larvae before. They didn't work any better for me than the dubbed body version- and the dubbed body is easier to work with.

I think the bigger bead help in another way besides weight....

The flat-bodied clinger mayfly species have a wider head, so the bigger bead could resemble this, as far as profile.

That said, I use a smaller bead than most books and charts suggest.

LRSABecker wrote:
O no you didn't!!!!

It was whiney, I made it through the first couple sentences and decided you just weren't able to accept the sublime wisdom and were revolting against the gift of knowledge.

LRSABecker wrote:
Seriously though, I figured I would just post a pattern that seemed to be pretty killer for me. I mean as fly tiers and fisherman, we are all after that legendary pattern, the Holy Grail, that just annihilates fish right?

You mean the Royal Coachman, and its evolutionary paradigm shift into the Royal Wulff?

1878. You're 133 years too late. ;-)

Anyways, crankster, I think I misread what you were doing. I thought you wanted other people's "killer caddis larva," which brings me back around to fish just putting things in their mouths. Also, tie them in cream. I don't remember why, but there's some local caddis that's actually got cream larva, not green.

Finally, sparkle caddis, and the rest of the Lafontaine patterns. Works like gangbusters when caddis are coming off.

The...."O no you didn't!?" reference was suppose to be read in an African American Lady's voice, not meaning "I do not believe you did not read it". Sorry should have been more specific.

LRSABecker wrote:
The...."O no you didn't!?" reference was suppose to be read in an African American Lady's voice, not meaning "I do not believe you did not read it". Sorry should have been more specific.

I don't see colour, I only see people.

Well I guess I better go tie some of them up.

I tied up 8 of these in size 14 and they aint half bad for me anyways. Everytime I try to load pics I get logged out.

Yeah I tied a handful of 14s and 16s today. Green and cream. Good stuff, can't wait to fish them.

Gonna name them Badonka Donks

I tied the ones like gfen posted. Simple and realistic.

I ordered these offline just to see how they made them. I know the pic is bad but how do they look, they seem to have little wings on them which some of your versions don't. There also size 16's.

caddis.jpg

By "little wings" do you mean a bit of something soft sticking out as a "throat?" Most likely partridge?

That appears to otherwise be the same thing I described earlier, just some dubbing arapped around a hook. The softhackle is another step, but one I wouldn't worry, espcially if you pick out the darker throax dubbing.

delfam wrote:
I ordered these offline just to see how they made them. I know the pic is bad but how do they look, they seem to have little wings on them which some of your versions don't. There also size 16's.

caddis.jpg

Fuzzy nymphs? I can't tell from the photo but I always like to have some segmentation visible. I think that helps increase takes.

Back