Caddis Larva

SBecker

SBecker

Before I went out fishing today I tied up one of these and it hammered before I lost it. So, when I got home I tied a couple more up. Has anyone tied their caddis larva like this? I took a couple different patterns I have seen online and combined them., I don't think I copied any one pattern. I used size 12 scud hook and a tungsten bead. Next, I wrapped .15 lead about 8-9 times. I used olive 6-0 thread. I tied on olive body glass and wrapped up to the thorax. I then tied on Olive stretch flex and a tan ostrich plume. Next, I dubbed on olive brown Hareline and wrapped to the bead. Wrapped the ostrich plume evenly spaced 3 timed and finished with the stretch flex. Whatcha think?

Attachments

• Caddis Larva 1.jpg
    Caddis Larva 1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Caddis Larva.jpg
    Caddis Larva.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4
  • Caddis Larva 2.jpg
    Caddis Larva 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3
caddis.jpg

That one (not my tie).

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/sharks-caddis-larva/

edit postscript: man, you gots too many steps. so does that one up there. green dubbing. wire or whatever rib. a thorax if you don't feel lazy, or none if you do. they all seem to work as good, but shark's caddis looks the sweetest, eh? they're fish. they hang out in the water and watch junk swim by. sometimes, they see something that generally looks kinda foodlike. its green, its got some shiny stuff that is, well, shiny. looks like something is moving on it. right colour and size and behaviour to be food, let's try it out... he's got fins, dig, no fingers? so he can't like dip his index in and taste, he's only got one option, wrap his mouth around it and if it doesn't bite back or turn out to be a piece of beaver turd, well, winrar is trout, right?

wrong. you set the hook.

I have to start tying these, but I don't even know where to begin. Very nice looking ties, Becker!

It's like a caddis/mayfly hybrid.

Hits a lot of the key factors on a adequate fly.

Tie one in blrown and you'll have an awesome mayfly nymph as well.

those sharks do look awesome !

I like 'em.
I've long felt that a lot of bead head nymphs utilize beads that are too big - however, it's largely an aesthetic criticism rather than a functional one (as long as the bead doesn't close the bite of the hook). Also, keep in mind that caddis larvae and pupae are different phases and that the pupae phase tends to be a thicker and "buggier" phase whereas the larvae tend to be more slender and worm-like.
Whatever the case, your nymphs can cover both the larvae or pupae phases. Well done.

Fishidiot wrote:
I like 'em.
I've long felt that a lot of bead head nymphs utilize beads that are too big - however, it's largely an aesthetic criticism rather than a functional one (as long as the bead doesn't close the bite of the hook). Also, keep in mind that caddis larvae and pupae are different phases and that the pupae phase tends to be a thicker and "buggier" phase whereas the larvae tend to be more slender and worm-like.
Whatever the case, your nymphs can cover both the larvae or pupae phases. Well done.

Thanks Dave, I did not know that. Thanks for teaching me something.

LRSABecker wrote:
Thanks Dave, I did not know that. Thanks for teaching me something.

Tell HA to teach you the sparkle caddis pupa next. Or, research it. Or, well, both. Go for both.

Becker,

Did you participate in the pot luck swap? If so, you'll be seing mine soon.

gfen wrote:
caddis.jpg

That one (not my tie).

edit postscript: man, you gots too many steps. so does that one up there. green dubbing. wire or whatever rib. a thorax if you don't feel lazy, or none if you do. they all seem to work as good, but shark's caddis looks the sweetest, eh? they're fish. they hang out in the water and watch junk swim by. sometimes, they see something that generally looks kinda foodlike. its green, its got some shiny stuff that is, well, shiny. looks like something is moving on it. right colour and size and behaviour to be food, let's try it out... he's got fins, dig, no fingers? so he can't like dip his index in and taste, he's only got one option, wrap his mouth around it and if it doesn't bite back or turn out to be a piece of beaver turd, well, winrar is trout, right?

wrong. you set the hook.

You do realize how much of an *** you sound like? Seriously your going to try to tell me that anything we tie will work and they are just dumb fish? Jerry (you see I called you by the name that you don't mind not the one you really hate, just shows I am not that mad) Anyways, you talk all high and might about all the fancy flies and only the best of stuff. You go out spend tons of money on fancy equipment and materials, and then you try to tell me, that they are just stupid fish and whatever you tie will work? Maybe thats why you don't catch more fish? Sure, your right, they are dumb fish, but they are still smart enough and sometimes picky not to eat anything that just floats by. Now shut your hole and stop being a D-wad. O, and if you are so concerned about to many steps and how you don't need to make anything fancy, stop tying royal M F wulffs.

By the way, before I tied the one I posted about, I tied one of those shark ones earlier today.

Ok, done venting, still like ya creeper, but sometimes you just have to shush.

Wait one more thing, if you wanted to criticize the tie, I am fine with that, but you had to go all into your dumb TL;DR novel, thats what annoyed me the most.

What jerry said is right. Well, before he trailed off into tl;dr.

But we tie to please ourselves just as much as the fish. I know I do. Complicated flies don't often work better than simple ones, but they often work just as well.

Sometimes, that's good enough for me.

jayL wrote:
What jerry said is right.

But we tie to please ourselves just as much as the fish. I know I do. Complicated flies don't often work better than simple ones, but they often work just as well.

Sometimes, that's good enough for me.

Agreed and I have heard you say that a thousand times. But you also do not go on and on about the prettiest flies and stuff.

That caddis is one of the simplest ties I have done.

LRSABecker wrote:
You do realize how much of an *** you sound like? Seriously your going to try to tell me that anything we tie will work and they are just dumb fish? Jerry (you see I called you by the name that you don't mind not the one you really hate, just shows I am not that mad) Anyways, you talk all high and might about all the fancy flies and only the best of stuff. You go out spend tons of money on fancy equipment and materials, and then you try to tell me, that they are just stupid fish and whatever you tie will work? Maybe thats why you don't catch more fish? Sure, your right, they are dumb fish, but they are still smart enough and sometimes picky not to eat anything that just floats by. Now shut your hole and stop being a D-wad. O, and if you are so concerned about to many steps and how you don't need to make anything fancy, stop tying royal M F wulffs.

By the way, before I tied the one I posted about, I tied one of those shark ones earlier today.

Wait one more thing, if you wanted to criticize the tie, I am fine with that, but you had to go all into your dumb TL;DR novel, thats what annoyed me the most.

tl;dr.

jayL wrote:

i rarely fish fancy looking flies, because they're a pain to replace.

i like them, sure, but they sit in cute little rows and look pretty, but you'll notice the ones with the worn hooks are usually simplicity because i can bang them out in 1/4 the time and don't hear cash register sounds in my head when i lose 'em.

also, soft hackles are both pretty and simple. geez.

finally, did you get the memo about the sparkle caddis?

LRSABecker wrote:
gfen wrote:
caddis.jpg

That one (not my tie).

wrong. you set the hook.

Wetnet? Is that you?

Low.

I'd like to direct this line of discussion back to the matter at hand.

Uhm. I've made some patterns using glass beads over a green thread body, but not been very happy, and just wrapping clear plastic tubing-ish-stuff (beading cord) over green dubbing, too. That works well, actually. The beads takes too long, but the cord is way quick and sinks gooder.

simple tie;

Attachments

• 6-3-09 038.jpg
    6-3-09 038.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 6-3-09 037.jpg
    6-3-09 037.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 2
Sandfly what are you using for the body on that fly?

twisted embroidery thread

sandfly wrote:
twisted embroidery thread

Are you just picking out some fibers or are you wrapping some sparse material on the thread?

Back