BWO Swap 2012

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

“Life hurtles forward, but in an unsure world one mayfly hatch is as familiar as my own eye colour or shoe size.”
~ Gierach

The theme for this Swap is any pattern that you fish during a Blue-winged Olive hatch that you like to tie. You may use any material that you like and there will be a cap of 16 tiers. First 16 to sign up on this thread are in.

You are only required to tie one pattern, but can submit more if you desire. There is a limit of 16 tiers and the deadline to enter is Sunday, August 26, 2012. Due date for your entries is September 16, 2012. Please follow the guidelines and you should have your flies shortly after the deadline or when all entries are received.

You will need to tie as many flies as there are fellow participants. So if we reach the maximum number 16 tiers, you will need to provide at least 15 flies for all other participants excluding yourself. So everyone should tie and receive 15. Also, optional extra flies may be tied for Dave Kile and the Moderators who keep this site running smoothly. It is highly recommended that you include one for Dave, for without PaFlyFish this swap wouldn't be possible.

Flies will be returned in the containers they were mailed in, if possible. Please write your name on your container- If you don’t I will. Keep in mind that the other flies may be larger than yours, so make your container large enough to handle that possibility. Please include a stamped return envelope. Whatever it costs to mail to me, it will cost me at least that to return, so match the postage. To the guys that are doing this for the first time- do not send them in an expensive fly box. I have had flies get lost in the mail in the past. The best type of container is an Altoid tin or something similar. Fly boxes tend to be a little too bulky and usually cost more to ship.

It is nice to provide the other tyers with the fly pattern recipe, instructions, etc. At a bare minimum, provide the materials list for each part (e.g.: Hook: #14; Thread: brown; Tail: Medium Dun Hackle; etc...); preferably, give the recipe, step-by-step instructions, and a short explanation of the use of the fly; it's history, if you want, etc.

Please email or PM me when you have mailed your flies so I can look for them in the mail. I will post on this thread that they have arrived safely. I will PM everyone my email and mailing address once the swap is full or the deadline has passed. If you have any questions just email/PM me or post them on this thread.

JH

flyfishermanj- TBA
BelAirSteve - loop wing emerger
YoughnessMonster-TBA
beeber2- TBA
SBecker- TBA
sniperfreak- TBA

JH

I'll be tying a boit-body BWO parachute.

flyfishermanj- TBA
YoughnessMonster-TBA
beeber2- TBA
SBecker- TBA
sniperfreak- boit-body BWO parachute
DeltaDog- TBA

either a comparadun bwo or a biot bodied cdc parachute

Cornuta Hackle Stacker

flyfishirmanj,

Thanks for stepping up for the mod role, I'm looking forward to the swap. I've been tying more lately and wanted to share with others again.

Mine will be a bwo spinner.

I'm in, trying to decide on a pattern. Will let you know soon

bwofly.jpg

Fly is a mix of A K Best and Mark Petitjean. ( Quill bodied dry)
Hook: Daiichi 1100 #18
Thread: Olive ultra thread 70
Tail: Dun hackle barbules
Body: Baetis olive quill
Thorax, wing, & legs: White cdc ( one long, or two short for this size)
For a size 18 and smaller use one quill, soak quills in water for about 15 min. (to prevent breaking when winding), cut quill to the same dia. as the combined size of the tail and hook, tie in on top of the hook one third behind eye of hook.Wind thread back to one quill wrap before the last wrap of thread holding the tail.( so the first wrap of quill hides tail tie in wraps and does not push down the tail). Wrap quill in touching turns to the tie in point of the quill. Using either a dubbing loop or a thread you can split insert cdc in loop or thread cut off the stem and twist well to trap the feathers, start wrapping the cdc at the tie in point of the quill as you wrap foreward gently pull/tease the barbs up and back at an angle hold for each wrap.( with a little practice you'll figure out how long the cdc needs to be in the loop or thread to get the proper length of wing without trimming it. Tie off at head,and trim off the bottom barbs that stick down. ( for smaller flies split thread will provide you with a much smaller head).You can touch the bottom of the cdc with an olive marker if you wish. The cool thing about this style is you get the wing,thorax,and legs all in one go.
One thing: making use of Petitjean's magic tool is very helpfull in getting the correct length with the barbs, and just in general it's clear so you can see the ends of the barbs.

I'll be tying a BWO cripple, Quigley style.

lv2nymph wrote:
bwofly.jpg

lv2nymph,

Nice looking tie. I have a magic tool and enjoy it. It's definitely not as easy as Marc makes it look in the videos and at the shows! I use light dun CDC on my BWOs, but you indicate white. I assume you've had success with white?

Thanks belair, I started using white on the smaller flies to see them better. It does not seem to effect things one way or the other,I've often wondered if they take it for a freshly emerged insect.By the way I'm a Md. Guy myself grew up in joppatown. :)

So we are only at 7 so far - should we consider tying two patterns each if the turnout is low?

Update:

flyfishermanj- RS2 olive
YoughnessMonster-TBA
beeber2- bwo spinner
SBecker- TBA
DeltaDog- TBA
hbgbswanson- BWO cripple, Quigley style
liv2nymph- ??

My pattern is a Cornuta Hackle Stacker

Quill bodied dry " for lack of any other name"

We have 9 total tiers and I will do a pattern update this weekend. I will also be sending out a PM with my address sometime this weekend.

JH

Update,

flyfishermanj- RS2 olive
YoughnessMonster-comparadun bwo/ biot bodied cdc parachute
beeber2- bwo spinner
SBecker- Cornuta Hackle Stacker
DeltaDog- TBA
liv2nymph- Quill bodied dry

We have a total of 9 tiers, thus you need to provide at least 8 flies. Looking forward to knocking off the swap cobwebs and seeing the flies! Also sent out the PM's with my address, if you didn't get one let me know.

JH

flyfishermanj- RS2 olive
YoughnessMonster-comparadun bwo/ biot bodied cdc parachute
beeber2- bwo spinner
SBecker- Cornuta Hackle Stacker
DeltaDog- Snowshoe emerger
liv2nymph- Quill bodied dry

Back