Butter Worm

sandfly

sandfly

Just for LSRBecker;
Bob's Butter worm
3x long #10 hook
underbody--ABCaddis #14 rusty orange and yellow
Cream latex colored with light pink and pale yellow markers. Have to apply a light coat of Tulip Gellies in clear yet.

Attachments

• latex 004.jpg
    latex 004.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 39
I have done similar, and I have also touch dubbed so it stuck out between the segments.

What is the body material?

Nice fly.

Looks good Sand, I would modify that a tad bit to my specifics but I like the concept. I think I would make the head black and a little bigger

I use something very similar to this, if you tie it on a curved hook and dub both ends, it represents a crane fly quite nicely. Haven't had much luck with it for trout, but bass love it.

Use it after a good rain, or at anytime in summer with rising water levels. That has always worked best for me with this type of fly.

I found these work better for cranefly's, don't know why but trout eat them more than the latex type.

Attachments

• DSCN6122.JPG
    DSCN6122.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 8
I will definitely have to try something similar to that. Do you ever use large curved hooks for them? That seems to give it an action that bass just love.

Easy, one moves like its alive, and one just sits there like a realistic, but fake, latex lump.

Same reason that I bet JayL's touchdubbed version of the probably out performs the other one... Movement means life.

Most larva don't move much in the water, so a latex pattern normally works. This is for you gfem, a tied and brushed butter worm.

Attachments

• latex 008.jpg
    latex 008.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 7
Patriotfly26,
I will definitely have to try something similar to that. Do you ever use large curved hooks for them? That seems to give it an action that bass just love.

For a cranefly ??? I tie mine all on size 10-12 mustad 9575 streamer hooks small.

Now a water worm thats different, they can be large like a hellgramite larva only worm like. here's a pic though its listed as a crane fly its a water worm

Attachments

• cranefly2.jpg
    cranefly2.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 4
sandfly wrote:
Most larva don't move much in the water, so a latex pattern normally works. This is for you gfem, a tied and brushed butter worm.

S'not bad, beats my lumpy looking Walt's Worm.

What's the dubbing you used?

I finally broke out the coffee grinder to produce my own blends last night, been playing with cut up substitute antron to much glee.

sandfly wrote:
Now a water worm thats different, they can be large like a hellgramite larva only worm like. here's a pic though its listed as a crane fly its a water worm

I saw a guy throwing water worms once, they were massively nasty looking beasts, and I have no idea what htey were...

Google sez... nothing, way too much results for "water worm."

water worm is the larval stage of a beetle that becomes terrestrial after hatching.

What's the dubbing you used? I finally broke out the coffee grinder to produce my own blends last night, been playing with cut up substitute antron to much glee.
Its abdomen is not dubbed, but a thread furled twice and the wrapped. The thorax is A.B.Caddis dubbing (antron blend) then I use a wire brush to get the effect.

sandfly wrote:
water worm is the larval stage of a beetle that becomes terrestrial after hatching.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/large_diving_beetle.htm

?

I dunno, says there they come from a beetle 1.5 inches long, the grubs this guy had were monsters, like the size of your pinkie, so this might make sense.

sandfly wrote:
Its abdomen is not dubbed, but a thread furled twice and the wrapped. The thorax is A.B.Caddis dubbing (antron blend) then I use a wire brush to get the effect.

You seriously need to put some of this down and get it out there, I have only a base idea of what you mean by furling the thread, but it looks killer.

what and give all my tying techniques away????? want to learn more must visit.....we rent rooms....

Well played.

So, how work intensive is the thread furling process? Quick and painless as a dubbing loop or involved like a weave?

there is no weaving in it, just a way to twist and furl.

Sandfly..........I always thought that what the locals here call "Waterworms" were the larval stage of the Cranefly they look similar but not exactly like the pic you posted. When i say not exactly I mean the color here is more green/grey drab and the sea cucumber looking head on the pic is not as pronounced although it is easy to tell which end is the head. This has me confused and wanting to know if you could post a picture of the adult stage Beetle that comes from the Butterworm?

Osprey, Butterworms come from South America. The fish around here will never see and beetle that derives from a butterworm.

Back