Bushkill Went Dry Again.

Regarding the physical explanation, this might help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_of_depression

One nearby stream that recovered from this is the Saucon. When the zinc mine at Friedensberg was active the Saucon flow went through the mine and was returned by a pump (at one time this mine used the biggest pump in the world named "the president"). The biggest issue here was the water was so laden with metals and pollutants it picked up in the mine it was dead. When the mine closed in the 1980's it filled up and the Saucon became the trout stream we know today.

In my heart of hearts I do not believe the quarry wanted the pumps to fail and dewater the stream. With the pumps down, the bottom actively mined benches would flood. This is catastrophic to a quarry economically, it will take them weeks to get back work.

Mining and geology are funny things, neither easy. But they do provide the resources for us to have a civilized existence. Do you like your concrete foundation, kids swing set posts, roads (even, gasp!, gravel) to get to your fishing spot?

I am not giving the mining company a free pass, but remember what that quarry provides to all of us. Trust me, they do not want the pumps to go down any more than us streamkeepers...

DEP should require that they maintain a base flow to the creek.

They could have a backup pump and a generator to ensure that they maintain a base flow to the creek.

That wouldn't be that difficult technically and not that expensive. Especially considering the scale of the operation.

Many businesses and facilities have generators to ensure a backup supply of electricity when the power goes down.

I work for a major PA hospital system. We have emergency generators at all of our large buildings and they would NEVER EVER fail to operate. Install tandom EMG's if need be. Test them monthly per protocol. There are absolutely ways around this where the creek would never have to miss a beat under any circumstances.

Agreed that they should find a solution with redundancy embedded so that it does not happen again. Sad.

flyflicker wrote:
In my heart of hearts I do not believe the quarry wanted the pumps to fail and dewater the stream. With the pumps down, the bottom actively mined benches would flood. This is catastrophic to a quarry economically, it will take them weeks to get back work.

I am not giving the mining company a free pass, but remember what that quarry provides to all of us. Trust me, they do not want the pumps to go down any more than us streamkeepers...

Yes, and my Nephew didn't probably want to run off the side of the road 4 years ago and flip his truck and kill himself. But he SHOULD have had his seatbelt on. It probably would have saved his life.

I mean, really, you can make your own 'luck'; miners, drivers, people all.

Syl

flyflicker wrote:

Mining and geology are funny things, neither easy. But they do provide the resources for us to have a civilized existence. Do you like your concrete foundation, kids swing set posts, roads (even, gasp!, gravel) to get to your fishing spot?

Agreed that they should find a solution with redundancy embedded so that it does not happen again. Sad.

It has happened in the past and nothing has been done to prevent it from happening again..and again...and now again!

I don't believe anyone wants to shut down all quarries and mines but when is enough....enough?

1) Advocating that they be required to maintain a base flow to the stream.

2) Advocating that the quarry be shut down.

Those are not the same thing!

A backup pump and a generator are not so expensive that they would force the quarry to close.

Back