Bug Spray/Repellant

Eat lots of Garlic, keeps the bugs away and the wife...mint rubbed on the skin works well. If buzz-off is the same as what ex-offcio uses its great, I have a few shirts with it in from orvis..

If buzz-off is the same as what ex-offcio uses its great, I have a few shirts with it in from orvis..

Buzz-off is what clothing sold by Ex-Officio, LL Bean and Orvis all use. It works because it has been treated with Permethrin. Look at the tags. I've had good luck with this stuff too.

Deet definately works better than any bug spray I've tried but can wreak havoc on fly fishing equipment/gear and your health. Use that stuff cautiosly.

**update**

Not sure how accurate this Wiki page is but it says it's extremely toxic to fish. That wouldn't be good!

Wiki

I’ve been using Permethrin for a few years now and it handles all but the nastiest conditions when some Deet is needed on exposed skin. In the spring I spray Permethrin on my fishing shirts, pants, hat and sneakers. I only do it once a year and it seems to last me all summer. The spray can says it’s only good for six weeks or 6 washings so your mileage may vary. I wear long sleeve shirts and pants most of the time when things are buggy. Long sleeve shirts, long pants and a wide brim hat also reduce the amount of sunscreen I need to apply. This combination has served me well without any greasy mess or damage to plastics.

Permethrin is inexpensive so it’s worth a try. Just remember Permethrin is useless when applied to your skin. It must be applied to clothing to be effective. I do occasionally get bites on the back of my hand but not enough to use Deet.

I still carry Deet but I haven’t used it since I started using Permethrin on my clothes.

Back