Budget reel?

Lamson reels are great. I have a Guru and a Litespeed but probably picking up the Liquid after reading the reviews.

Going to put my Liquid on the Access rod I will have in a few days. Any thoughts on what line to put on the 4wt?

Is the rod you bought full - mid -tip flex. That will probably be the best indicator of which line to choose

Tip flex. Crazy deal on it that I could not pass up

I'd go with one of the overweight tapers since you like to feel it loading. Hell, if it's a tip flex 4wt, cast a regular 5 line on it and see if you like it. Probably will

Kray-

That was what I was assuming. Since I bought a 3/4 reel, I can put my 5wt from my BVK to cast.

How does having a 5wt reel or a 4wt rod affect the balance of the rod?

If I like how it casts, I will exchange my new reel for a 5/6

Generally speaking, the line/rod weight recommendations listed by reel manufacturers is pretty accurate. A reel listed for 5 and 6wt lines will work fine with those rods. Particularly for 9' rods. Short rods usually match up well with a smaller reel and are really the only situation where I would even start to think about balance. Even then I don't fuss with it much as the corresponding reel size still works fine even if it looks a little large on a particular rod. Frankly I think that rod/reel balance is one of, if not the most overstated aspect of rod/reel selection. Just don't do anything crazy like throw an 8/9wt reel on a 5wt rod and you'll be fine.

Back