Buck tail issue

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I am tying some Mickey Finns and having an issue. I formally have been using kiptail and bought some bucktail. The bucktail seems to be more like spinning hair.

Is it the norm to have this issue?

Bucktail is a lot more prone to flaring than kip/calf when you tie it in and you may have to adjust the amount of thread pressure you are using to anchor it to compensate for this. Ease up a bit and hold the bucktail in place with your thumb and index finger when you are putting the first few wraps over it and see if this doesn't help.

There's a bit of a learning curve here, but you'll get past it in no time.

don't use the hairs at the base of tail. use the middle section of tail only.

Use the hair from farther up towards the tip of the tail. The hair at the bottom of bucktails is often more like body hair in texture and behavior when tying. The hair normally get progressively harder, finer, and less likely to flair and spin as you move towards the tip of the tail.

Alternately, sometimes the flaring can be controlled by simply tying the hair in closer to the tips of the hairs, but this limits the length of the wings. I can't imagine you are tying mickey finns that require the entire length of the hair to be used, but I could be wrong.

Finally, I think the issue of hair length and texture is a great reason to be very selective when buying materials. If there are say, ten bucktails on the rack when I go into a fly shop, I look at all ten and only buy the one(s) with the best characteristics for their intended use. In the case of bucktail, I usually want a tail that has long, straight, fine hair that does not have a very thick, spongy base like body hair.

As the guys stated above. Use more of the tips of the hair. The finer hairs. Also they should be fairly sparse. Hold each stack tightly when tying in. From your tie in point always wrap forward. Stack hair clumps directly over each other to help keep separation of the colors. At least that is how I do it. Here is one of mine.

GenCon

Attachments

• Micky Fin.jpg
    Micky Fin.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks. I have had success tying some but have an issue at times.

Back