Brook trout (ST) C&R: no added benefit to ST size or abundance

Keep in mind that I don't know what I am talking about but...

I am not surprised that they found no impact. You really got to be looking for these fish to find them. And even then it is on small a$$ water that is over 4000 feet up. So I don't see that type of angler as being a meat fisherman (or "meet" fisherman for Farmer Dave) :-o

We were down there in prime fishing season and we did not run into many anglers. And I have NEVER seen a stringer with fish on it down there. Not to say it don't happen but its not PA if you know what I mean.

If you read Bob Bachman's paper then you will understand that stocked trout will not replace wild ones because they will die off. Wild trout being replaced by stocked ones almost never happens. The wild trout die from over exhaustion from trying to move the stocked trout out of thier territory. The stocked trout are so dumb that they never catch on and cause the wild fish to die. Of course there are the small amount of stocked fish that do survive but not enough to replace wild trout. Wild trout also die from stocked trout being put into a stream that is already at carring capacity. When this capacity fish die from lack of food and more importantly lack of habitat.

Maurice: Here is the Pa. exploitation (harvest) rate that I could not provide in my previous comment. Given your criteria from above, harvest in most Pa. wild trout streams would be characterized as being insignificant. I fully agree!!! It is even less than that which occurred in the national park study.

From the statewide wild trout creel survey report:

Based on this calculation the exploitation rate for legal size brook trout would be 8.4% and the exploitation rate for legal size brown trout would be 0.7%. Thorn (1990) concluded that the rate of exploitation of the preseason population should exceed 50% before a special regulation is imposed. Therefore, based on the low exploitation rates observed during this study, special regulations would not be expected to have an impact on most Pennsylvania wild trout populations.

Dear Mike,

So much good stuff to comment on I'm practically beside myself and frankly, that isn't a very good place to be. :)

You gave them independent facts from another State and they said, "BS" What more do they want? Do they want a study to prove that their opinon is correct, if so then they should fund it.

Afishinado hit on some good points about why certain streams don't support all the trout they could but the fact remains that every single trickle of water in PA cannot support trout. Before 11,000,000 people lived in the State they didn't all support trout, so why should we expect them to do that now?

Lastly, the Bob Bachman study was brought out. That hasn't been a trump card since it was trumped over 20 years ago. It may be a source of intense Pennsylvania pride, but you know as well as I do that it is no longer the definitive study of stocked vs. wild trout behavior except for the people who want to repeatedly claim it's findings as the facts.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

From the statewide wild trout creel survey report:

Based on this calculation the exploitation rate for legal size brook trout would be 8.4% and the exploitation rate for legal size brown trout would be 0.7%. Thorn (1990) concluded that the rate of exploitation of the preseason population should exceed 50% before a special regulation is imposed. Therefore, based on the low exploitation rates observed during this study, special regulations would not be expected to have an impact on most Pennsylvania wild trout populations.

Thorne's statement is just his opinion, it's not a scientific statement. He could just as easily have said 55% or 45% or 30%. Or we really to believe that the "correct", scientific percentage just happens to turn out to be a very neat 50%?

If exploitation rates are low, because of voluntary C&R behavior, it does not follow scientifically or logically that the correct regulation if 5 fish per day, 7 inches.

It is every bit as logical (and maybe more so) to say that because most anglers prefer limiting harvest, for the purpose of protecting the populations, that the proper regulations would be ones that are quite conservative, and greatly limit the harvest of trout.

An exploration into what the best regulations should be begin with a clean slate, without any prior bias of what the regs should be. That's the only way to conduct a balanced, unbiased exploration into the issue. Starting out with the assumption that the regs "should" be 5, unless proven otherwise, is starting out with an extreme bias. And there's no scientific reason for starting out with such a bias.

Dear troutbert,

Let me get this straight?

When you agree with the science ala Bachman it's science, but when you disagree ala Thorne it's merely conjecture?

I just want to know what rules we are playing by is all.

Regards,

Troutbert: The important point was that exploitation rates are so low in most Pennsylvania unstocked wild trout streams that mandated C&R or protection, whichever term you are using, would have no impact. Exploitation rates are lower than Thorn's 50% and lower than any exploitation rate that you mentioned.

As for the 5 fish creel limit, I don't know why you keep mentioning that. Given the catch rates and average trip lengths on Pa.'s wild brook trout streams, the average catch is about 5 fish per trip. Since many or most of these fish are sublegals in any representative 5 fish catch, it is a rare individual, indeed, who is harvesting 5 wild fish.

Whether it is creel limits, length limits, seasons, or tackle types, I am not interested in overregulation. If more conservative regulations are justified by the evidence or occasionally by the circumstances (example: similar bass populations likely exposed to similar fishing pressure), then I am on board.

Tim Murphy:

Thanks for making such great points. You're crack'in me up. Keep up the good work!

Mike

Tim Murphy,

Are you saying Bachman's work is not right and that stocked trout do not have a bad affect on wild trout. I'm not quite what your saying. There are plenty more papers that state the affects of stocked trout on wild ones. What scientific journals do you read?

"What scientific journals do you read?"

ooooh now we are getting somewhere. :-x

SlumpBuster wrote:
.... There are plenty more papers that state the affects of stocked trout on wild ones. What scientific journals do you read?

Please let us in on the fruits of your research. I have been hungry to read what science there is to support the broad, categorical claims that are made regarding: the inability of stocked trout to adapt to hospitable streams; the mysterious disappearance of stocked trout after introduction; and, the catastrophic consequences of planting hatchery fish (at any concentration) in streams with wild trout populations, however tenuous. As you can see, I have no bias. :-o

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear troutbert,

Let me get this straight?

When you agree with the science ala Bachman it's science, but when you disagree ala Thorne it's merely conjecture?

I just want to know what rules we are playing by is all.

Regards,

I didn't mention anything about Bachman's studies, either directly or indirectly. I'll assume you made an honest mistake on that, and move on.

Regarding Thorn:
"Thorn (1990) concluded that the rate of exploitation of the preseason population should exceed 50% before a special regulation is imposed."

Does that sound like a scientific statement?
He says "should exceed" but there's no reason given for this statement. It's just based on Thorne's bias in favor of allowing high harvest rates. That's just his personal preference. There is nothing scientific about the statement.

Suppose you go to fish a stream in late season. Would you prefer that 50% of the fish had already been removed from the stream? As a fisherman I would prefer that 50% of the fish had NOT been removed, and I think nearly all fishermen would agree. So why does Thorne's preference trump that of the typical fishermen? It doesn't. There's nothing "scientific" about his preference, or the fishermen's either. These preferences are subjective. There is not a scientific answer to which is best.

And there is really no definition of what "special regulation" or "general regulation" means. These are vague, essentially meaningless terms, and have no place in scientific literature.

Would 2 fish per day be a "special regulation?" If that were the state-wide limit it would be the "general regulation" not a "special regulation."

In Yellowstone Park most streams are C&R. So that is the general regulation there. But in PA C&R is considered a special regulation. In Yellowstone Park, if a stream had a 5 fish per day limit, that would be a special regulation. But in PA it's considered the general regulation.

A regulation of 2 fish per day, is just exactly that, a regulation of 2 fish per day. Labelling it "special" or "general" doesn't add any factual information. Using such terms only adds bias, a preconceived notion that a particular regulation is "normal" or "not normal" and therefore preferred or not preferred.

I don't think this is necessarily done sneakily, they just haven't thought it through carefully, and haven't seen the need to present things in a nuetral, objective, unbiased way if they hope to be considered seriously. But if the inquiry is not conducted in an unbiased way,the conclusions are simply derived from the original biased assumptions.

If you are going to try to find out what the optimal regulations are for particular waters, the only balanced, fair, and reasonable way to do it is start out with a clean slate, that is no preconceived notions of what the regulations "should be." So you should start out considering all options equally: 0 fish per day, 100 fish per day, whatever. Then look at all the information; the population data, mortality data, angler catch data etc. and then decide on the regulations based on that information.

Starting out with the preconceived notion that the regulations should stay the same as what they are right now, unless the harvest is over 50%, or some other preconceived number, is just bad science. Your professor would flunk you for that. (If he was a good professor.)

It's just circular logic. They are starting out with the idea that the regulations should stay the same, unless some very steep test is passed. Then concluding that the regulations should stay the same. The conclusions are based on the beginning assumptions.

But the beginning assumptions aren't factual, so we have no reason to accept them, so we also have no reason to accept the conclusions.

troutbert wrote:
As a fisherman I would prefer that 50% of the fish had NOT been removed, and I think nearly all fishermen would agree.

This, of course reveals your bias, but as a general statement, it is false or at a minimum incomplete. "[N]early all fisherman" would not agree to have 50% of all fish "not removed" by late season if it meant they could not remove any in the early season. In fact, despite the trend toward C&R trout angling, I think the vast majority of stamp buyers in PA are looking to limit out a couple times in April and May and then be done with it altogether for the year.

On the 4th I fished a Class A wild trout stream that has not been stocked officially for over 30 years. My dad and his dad and now I own a cottage on said stream, and so it is the stream that I have fished most often in my life.

I caught a 15" + beautiful brook trout the likes of which I have never seen in that water. On the basis of my experience, that fish had to be planted by someone. There is no way that that particular stream could have grown that fish from scratch.

My other observation is that it is doomed to die simply because there cannot be enough natural food to sustain it. In the meantime then also, I wonder how many wild fish will be harmed, not grow, not survive because of the presence of this fish. And I am quite sure he is not only one now in the stream.

Another danger of people taking nature into their own hands. Not meaning harm, just not knowledgeable enough to know better

JackM,

Here you go check out some of these articles.

Nutritional Deprivation After Stocking as a Possible Mechanism Leading to Mortality in Stream-Stocked Brook Trout
KENNETH ERSBAK and BRUCE L. HAASE
North American Journal of Fisheries Management
Volume 3, Issue 2 (April 1983) pp. 142–151

Effects of Stocking Catchable-Size Hatchery Rainbow Trout on Two Wild Trout Species in the Madison River and O'Dell Creek, Montana
E. RICHARD VINCENT
Volume 7, Issue 1 (January 1987) pp. 91–105

Response of Wild Brown Trout to Elimination of Stocking and to No-Harvest Regulations
ROBERT F. CARLINE, THOMAS BEARD JR., and BRUCE A. HOLLENDER
Volume 11, Issue 3 (August 1991) pp. 253–266

These should keep you interested and hopefully you'll be able to belive them. You are definitely intitled to your opnion but if you are gonna give it back it up with evidence. I'm sorry to say you are wrong on this issue. Stocking fish over wild ones has a huge affect on the wild trout, potentially distroying the population. You can not say this is false. PA should not stock any streams that have trout reproduction even if it is a class D stream. They should work to bring up the populations.

ryanh

I read plenty of articles a month on fisheries topics. Actaul scientific articles that is not just ones in Fly Fisherman or American Angler. Real actual data. Its how you learn things.

Troutbert,

I will again on this thread this time ask how you would manage things if you were the PFBC supported by liscensce sales and taxes by an angling public who likes to creel fish and likes catching big fish?

"Optimal managment" depepends on what you consider "optimum".

I think the average PA angler would be relatively unhappy with the relative "dink-fest" that the GSMNP provides.

ryanh

I read plenty of articles a month on fisheries topics. Actaul scientific articles that is not just ones in Fly Fisherman or American Angler. Real actual data. Its how you learn things.

Thanks troutbert, I will look into it.

The SMNP study was done for 3 years on 8 streams, 4 completely closed to fishing, and 4 open to a 5 fish creel limit with a 7” minimum. The streams chosen were in both easily accessible areas and remote areas. The population density did not increase for YOY and adult trout on the closed streams. What more can be said?

I agree, logic would dictate, if all fisherman kept every legal trout in the harvest areas, the result would be different, but most anglers C&R wild trout voluntarily. Harvest is not a factor in the density (or lack thereof) of the wild trout population in the vast majority of streams in PA.

Having said that, I believe that stocking over wild fish does have an impact on some streams, but, IMO not necessarily just because the stocked fish disrupt the wild fish in the stream, as much as because of the number of fisherman that stocking attracts to the stream. Fisherman intent on keeping fish,,,,keep fish. A lot of adult wild fish are harvested along with the stocked fish. I you want to put the PFBCs feet to the fire, do it for something that has an impact on the population.

If I were the “Fish Czar” of PA, I would (after thorough study of the potential of all streams) eliminate stocking on all Class A streams (contrary to what the PFBC says, this is being done), Class B streams, and Class C streams with the potential to significantly increase it’s population density. Jack, don’t scream yet! I would not decrease the amount of fish stocked, just reallocate them to all the marginal waters (streams that do not and cannot support wild trout). Load ‘um up! Let people catch and keep their limit. This would allow my commission to stock more fish in each stream more frequently. In addition, the stocked waters, as they are now, should be spread evenly throughout the State based on population and license sales in each region to allow everyone a chance to fish near home. The catch and keepers would be happy as well as the catch and releasers. This would allow self sustaining trout streams to flourish while maintaining the put-and-take tradition in PA.

As Fish Czar I would also spend more time and money trying to secure public access to fishing in the State. But that’s a whole other issue.

As far as the mortality rate of stocked trout in streams, I don’t believe anyone has an accurate answer. First, stocked trout are caught and kept for the most part, how many are in the freezer vs, died in the stream? Also, stocked trout move long distances from their stocking point. Check out the PFBC data on tagged fish, some moved miles, up to 70 miles. If you don’t believe it ask Tim Murphy, who is cleaning up on trout at the faber dam in Sunbury – no doubt many miles from where they were stocked. Stocked fish, as dumb as they are, can detect infinitesimal changes in temperature, PH, dissolved oxygen, etc., and will gravitate to more favorable conditions. Given this fact, can anyone truly know what the mortality rate vs. moved to parts unknown? In addition, the morality rate would vary widely based on the stream stocked because on the water quality, the amount of access to migrate, etc. Maybe Mike or others have an answer.

The main point in my first post is that don't spend all you time and effort trying to get regulation changes in PA - it's all about the loss of habitat and the decline of water quality.

Nice points afishinado. But the number of stocked trout should be reduced to allow money to be spent on things that would bentifical to raising trout populations. Usually in streams habitat is the limiting factor on the amount of fish that can live in the stream. PA has recently made a step in the right direction though and have now hired bilogist that will focus on habitat. One person has been hired in every regional managment zone. Hopefully this means that needed habitat improvements on many streams will begin within the next few years.

Take a look at some of the articles i have posted stocked trout have a major affect on wild ones. These articles clearly show this. As to the mortality of stocked fish. Many die simply because they are too stupid to even learn to feed in the wild. Those that do learn to feed usually spend so much energy feeding that they die because the amount of food they take in does not out weigh the amount of energy they spent to get it.

SlumpBuster wrote:
JackM,

Here you go check out some of these articles.

Nutritional Deprivation After Stocking as a Possible Mechanism Leading to Mortality in Stream-Stocked Brook Trout
KENNETH ERSBAK and BRUCE L. HAASE
Volume 3, Issue 2 (April 1983) pp. 142–151

Effects of Stocking Catchable-Size Hatchery Rainbow Trout on Two Wild Trout Species in the Madison River and O'Dell Creek, Montana
E. RICHARD VINCENT
Volume 7, Issue 1 (January 1987) pp. 91–105

Response of Wild Brown Trout to Elimination of Stocking and to No-Harvest Regulations
ROBERT F. CARLINE, THOMAS BEARD JR., and BRUCE A. HOLLENDER
Volume 11, Issue 3 (August 1991) pp. 253–266

Great, as soon as I track them down and read them, I will tell you whether they convincingly support the broad, categorical statements made on the topics I highlighted. Hopefully, you picked the most convincing articles on the topics so I won't have to serially track down and read articles if I raise valid issues about the ones you cited. This may sound like I am not keeping an open mind, but I am. I have just learned from experience that for reasons best know, yet least recognized, by themselves, people often overstate the implications and conclusions to be drawn from empirical studies.

Back