Brook trout in Big Spring

Sorry I forgot to mention the main reason I came in here. Check out limestone legends. Really enjoyable.

Ken, FWIW, I was thinking about it as I read through this post, but I don't think you'll find a hemlock along any reach of BS. I'm glad to hear that others have seen the spawning of brookies in January at BS, I believe these spawning brookies from the original strain of natives.
I've been to BS many times and have seen some pretty good hatch activity there and many fish rising to those hatches. The problem is in the catching. Those brookies are some difficult fish to catch, they can be tougher to catch than some of the browns I've fished over in many PA. streams. That's one of the reasons why the Loch Leven Trout were put in many Cumberland Valley Streams.

One of the best hatches for topwater action on Big Spring is the Early Black Stoneflies between January-March. Carry them in #16-18. I used to live 10 mins away from BS, and fished it for the better part of 30 years. I know the place quite well.

Wild-trout. That hatch is prolly the best the Letort has to offer as well

I'd go with bluewings

Wild-trout. That hatch is prolly the best the Letort has to offer as well

I like the hopper hatch myself :). I don’t get to fish it much so I usually dredge scuds in between the weeds. I did well once on top with midges.

ST= speckled trout
Speckled trout or "specs" are what they are called in Canada. Same is somewhat true in parts of New England.

Brookies aren't limited to small brooks in those regions and can get pretty large. Calling them brook trout in places where they still thrive like that seems a misnomer.

TimB: Calling them "trout" is a misnomer, too! They are char. ;-)

During the Depression, my Dad was in a CC camp near Big Spring. He told me many stories about the big brook trout he caught there. He was a meat fisherman back in the day and kept most/all of what he caught. It was a welcome change from the fare served in the CCC mess hall.

I think dry fly fishing on big spring is quite decent. I think you have to think terristrials though. I fished it very often and hard this last summer. If there is a stiff wind and the trees are blowing good things happen. I had a day in the ditch fishing hoppers that I tell people and they call me a lier. I will never forget it for the rest of my life. Sometimes those big rainbows in there really do bite on top as do the brookies. Big spring is beautiful and amazing I consider it the Crown jewl of CV. Keep fishing her and you will have amazing days.

Actually it's Charr.

Back