Broken Orvis Clearwater

huntfish

huntfish

I broke my orvis clearwater rod yesterday when I was breaking it down after fishing. I know that they have the "If we can't fix it, we will replace it" 25 year warranty. I am curious..can they fix a snapped rod or do they just replace it? Are the "fixes" more so for things like broken guides?

Depends parts are availible...assuming it is a section of rod that was snapped, you will be asked to send the entire rod back. If they can match the section with a new one that is what will happen. If matching sections are not in stock or discontinued then they will replace the entire rod. That happened with a rod I had, the rod was no longer made and no parts were available so they replaced it with the undated model

I broke a Sage tip section last year. When I contacted them, I was told to cut the ferrule off and mail it in a business envelope. They then matched a new tip section to the ferrule I sent back. (This wasn't a freebie, though; I had purchased the rod 2nd hand.)

I've broken 3 clear waters in 6 months then the upgraded me to a recon just recently snapped that. Don't know what it is but those are the only orvis rods I've owned likely won't buy another

wildtrout24 wrote:
Depends parts are availible...assuming it is a section of rod that was snapped, you will be asked to send the entire rod back. If they can match the section with a new one that is what will happen. If matching sections are not in stock or discontinued then they will replace the entire rod. That happened with a rod I had, the rod was no longer made and no parts were available so they replaced it with the undated model

+1 above ^

Your location is listed as Centre/Potter County. You can contact Orvis directly and send off the entire rod to them or bring it to an Orvis dealer and have them send it off. Both Flyfishers Paradise and TCO in State College / Centre County are Orvis dealers and can take care of it for you.

I just did the repair request and got all the info of where to send it and to put my shipping address and all that stuff on a note inside the package. Takes 4-6 weeks for the "repair/replace" but if I want to upgrade to a helios 2 for an extra 375 bucks they can get it to me within 3 days..really?

Seems pretty straightforward, they can take the h2 off the rack and send it to you or else you go into the queue for repair work that is approx. 4-6 weeks.

I broke my orvis and sent it in for repair. they sent me a new rod but it took six weeks at least. same model. wrote down the serial numbers before i sent it in.

I have sent 2 orvis rods back for repair over the years. One for a split grip, which was nearly 20yrs old. It came back in a month with a new cork/inert/reel seat installed. The other was a rod that was stepped on and broke middle of the base section.......I took a pic and emailed to them at their request because I needed the rod. They confirmed it would be a replacement and sent me a new rod immediately while I mailed mine to them. I have never had a single negative transaction with them over the years. Probably the best customer service of nay company I have ever dealt with.

Broke an older Clearwater a couple years ago. Inquired about repairs and they talked me into a new Access at a very deep discount. I was satisfied with the transaction.

When you guys send them in do you use UPS or FedEx?

Been down this road with Orvis a few times. Best way to go is to hit a shop that is an Orvis dealer and they'll take care of the whole 9 yards for ya. The last Clearwater I broke they just replaced it. I think the shop charged me $5.00 in S&H. Simple n easy. They'll call ya when it's in. They deal with it all.

Orvis will most likely replace the section you broke. If they no longer have sections available for repair, then they will give you a new rod. In general they do have a 4-6 week turn around. It's one of the things I like least about Orvis. I used to guide with Clearwater rods.

I actually switched to TFO for my guide rods because they are more affordable, and if one gets broken, TFO has them back to you in about 10 days from the time you ship it out.

Sent a reel back to Orvis after I taco-ed it. Shipping was what it should be (Not $50) and got it back after about a week or so. Awesome, awesome, awesome experience.

I sent a lot back. Had a good experience with Winston recently, too.

I also found out that if you are pro-active (make a phone call each week) the repairs or replacement is completed faster.

I broke my orvis rod 2 times went to a loop never had a problem with it.

Yipes. All this talk of broken Clearwaters. Makes me want to be more careful with mine

It's a cheap entery level rod. Of course it's gonna happen.

I snapped my first fly rod, a Clearwater, in my car door. This rod meant the world to me because I had saved up as a 12 yo kid to buy it and here I was 15 years later almost in tears I broke it. I contacted Orvis and explained the situation and they said to head to the Downingtown shop. I went in and showed them the rod and they basically said it was a lost cause and couldn't be fixed. They offered to "trade in" the Clearwater for an upgrade for 1/3 of the price. I did it and the guy let me keep my shattered rod.

Now, the upgraded rod broke after a bad fall in some big boulders. I walked in and the guy took it as an "upgrade" to the next level for 1/2 price. I love Orvis. Only beaten by LL Bean when it comes to customer service.

Its taken me some time to realize all equipment will fail, the harder you fish the sooner this happens. Some rods get broken in doors and some on soft lifts but it happens, I make a lot of purchasing decisions based on this. Orvis and Bean do it right no doubt. I will never purchase another Sage rod in my life. Dont get me wrong they make a nice rod but customer service and turn around times are awful. There are so many good rod makers I don't feel the need to purchase one where the manufacturer has anything short of A+ warranty and service.

Back