Broken bamboo rod

R

rrt

Just got home from breaking a tip of my 2-yr-old Weiler bamboo rod. Don't know how I did it, though it happened right after a good trout broke me off under some tree roots. I did not yank as I might have with a graphite rod. The fish got into the roots, broke off, and I didn't see a broken rod tip at that point. I tied on another fly and got ready to cast when I saw what I thought was a twig at the end of the rod -- not. It was about a foot of the tip, splintered at that point. I have another tip but will now be reluctant to use that rod for my small-stream fishing. I might try to get the tip repaired but don't know where to try.

Anyhow, I am not a very happy camper at this point. Chalk one up for the trout, I guess.

Yo rr - bummer. What taper is that stick? Fortunately, bamboo is easy to fix, especially compared to graphites. Art is up in the Poconos and I would think he would want to know about the mishap. I have no doubt that he would do a superlative repair.

I concur with Les, call Art and have him build you a new tip AND repair the broken one.

Regardless of the cost for a new tip and considering the age of Art; a Weiler rod repaired by and a new tip built by the original maker will always have more value than a rod restored by someone else.

A couple things that potentially have saved me from a similar fate after decades of fishing bamboo:
I never do the Orvis high stick thing with a bamboo rod (or any rod for that matter), preferring instead to hold the rod almost horizontal to the stream while playing a fish and let the mid portion of the rod do the fighting or the reel drag, not the tip. (Vince Marinaro gave me this advice).​
I always rotate my rod while playing a fish so the stresses are distributed along several axes not just downward. This also helps to prevent "sets." (I've done this so long with bamboo that I instinctively also do it with my graphite and glass rods).
Alternate tips if you have a two tip rod so they wear evenly. I have a system to keep track of the tip I used last so I don't use the same tip twice on successive outings.​
NEVER jerk a snag with ANY rod any harder than you would setting a hook, instead grab the line and pull to free snags.​
ALWAYS put the butt of your rod against your body when winding or pulling in line at the end of the day to minimize the rod tip from bouncing and NEVER take your eyes off the tip of the rod until your leader passes safely beyond the tip top.​
When the rod tip bounces, a loop of line can get wrapped around the tip. If you don't see it, you can break or damage it if you are winding in line.​

In the meantime, call Art, get your rod fixed and enjoy!!

Last edited:
^Words to live by.

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your advice. If I decide to get it fixed, I will call Mr. Weiler to see what he can do.

I may not be fit to fish with a nice rod!

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your advice. If I decide to get it fixed, I will call Mr. Weiler to see what he can do.

I may not be fit to fish with a nice rod!

"That's why Momma says we can't have nice things!!":mad:

Sorry about your rod, Rich.

Get it fixed, it deserves to be fished.

Good luck.

I can still fish with it; it came with 2 tips. But, I'll probably vacillate for a while and then decide to get the tip fixed and probably another extra, as you guys suggest.

I appreciate your responses. It felt kind of cool -- at least as cool as a 73-yr-old who dresses like a slob when fishing, according to my wife -- to be fishing with such an exquisite piece of craftsmanship.

The broken tip can be repaired with a scarf joint. They're very strong and barely noticeable.

There's no reason to stop fishing the rod on tight streams, bamboo rods are more durable than those made of graphite.

I appreciate your responses. It felt kind of cool -- at least as cool as a 73-yr-old who dresses like a slob when fishing, according to my wife -- to be fishing with such an exquisite piece of craftsmanship.
Much love for Art's rods here, functional artwork.

this is why im always reluctant to take my bamboo rod fishing. i have a 1973 orvis rod when howard steere ran the shop. i know its meant to be fished and i do fish it but im nervous on every cast.

First, yes, contact Art Weiler. He made it , he can fix it. Bamboo is is easier to repair and graphite. Don't be afraid to fish it. Bamboo is tough. The only rod I ever broke was graphite and nothing against them , but I only have bamboo and glass now. I have a dozen bamboo ,love them all and am not afraid to fish them anywhere. Not much point in having one if you're afraid to use it. Everything I've said here has been echoed by others. Good fishing!

this is why im always reluctant to take my bamboo rod fishing. i have a 1973 orvis rod when howard steere ran the shop. i know its meant to be fished and i do fish it but im nervous on every cast.
They're far less fragile than graphite. It's actually fairly hard to break a cane rod (although I'm quite capable of breaking any rod.)

I've only broken three rods in my life, two graphite Tenkara rods and Winston Glass rod and only one Tenkara rod was my fault, the other two rods were repaired under warranty.

I never broke a bamboo rod and I fished nothing but for decades...

BTW Kyle, what Orvis rod do you have?? I have several Orvis bamboo rods but none I can confirm were built by Howard.

I've only broken three rods in my life, two graphite Tenkara rods and Winston Glass rod and only one Tenkara rod was my fault, the other two rods were repaired under warranty.

I never broke a bamboo rod and I fished nothing but for decades...

BTW Kyle, what Orvis rod do you have?? I have several Orvis bamboo rods but none I can confirm were built by Howard.
i have the nympth rod. 8' 3" 3/4B W.J.Y. serial number is 71663. i emailed orvis trying to get more info on the rod. im a curious person. and this is the email orvis sent back.
Screenshot 20230825 155951

after their email i had recieved 3 emails of people wanting to buy my rod? one guy from NY offered $1000 for it. but i declined. i have no reason to sell it. i would like to pass it along to my son if he grows up to be a fly fisher. i also have another one with a broken tip. and both rods are original sock and rod tube with matching serial numbers.

i have the nympth rod. 8' 3" 3/4B W.J.Y. serial number is 71663. i emailed orvis trying to get more info on the rod. im a curious person. and this is the email orvis sent back.

after their email i had recieved 3 emails of people wanting to buy my rod? one guy from NY offered $1000 for it. but i declined. i have no reason to sell it. i would like to pass it along to my son if he grows up to be a fly fisher. i also have another one with a broken tip. and both rods are original sock and rod tube with matching serial numbers.

Kyle:

Call Orvis about sending the rod with the broken tip back to Orvis for an estimate on getting a new tip made (it will get the same serial number). The cost isn't unreasonable and won't be any cheaper when your son grows up. ;)

It's worthwhile to consider because IF the day ever comes that Orvis stops making bamboo rods (which isn't inconceivable), there will be no other options for a factory original replacement or possibly even an impregnated replacement.

In my Orvis bamboo collection are two rods from 1973, one is the 8'6" 6wt Limestone Special and the other the somewhat scare 5'9" Ultralight Spinning rod. I fish both regularly.

In the meantime, you should take one of those Nymphs for a spin...

You're unlikely to break it. I've fished bamboo rods for nearly forty years and only bamboo rods since about 1993--I've never broken one.

Orvis rods are very robust.

View attachment 1641232142

A copy & paste from my notes:
"8-foot, 3 3/4-oz, 11/64-ferrule “Nymph”:

The 8-foot, 3 3/4-oz, 11/64-ferrule taper has a delicate slow action with the Orvis-recommended WF4 line.

It was intended for use in the summertime with tiny flies with sufficient length to allow line-mending in difficult currents. It’s not a rod for long casts or fishing in high wind.

The rod was introduced in the 1969 catalog and made through 1975. It was only available as a high-grade rod (equivalent to the “Battenkill”) with one or two tips."

Scans from the 1973 catalog:

Those 1973 prices make me want to cry... :cry:

You're unlikely to break it. I've fished bamboo rods for nearly forty years and only bamboo rods since about 1993--I've never broken one.

Orvis rods are very robust.

BTW - Speaking of "robust" Have you ever seen one of these or the tie clips Orvis sold with a short section of a bamboo rod blank (I didn't take a photo of my tie clip):

IMG 2472

Art Weiler can probably scarf the tip or build you another one. He is one of the best bamboo makers in the world. I have a few of his rods and they always cast wonderfully. He is well known for his Garrison reproductions and other classic tapers. I have seen his restoration work, it is excellent. Sorry for your cane rod mishap, but mishaps happen on trout creeks.

Those 1973 prices make me want to cry... :cry:

BTW - Speaking of "robust" Have you ever seen one of these or the tie clips Orvis sold with a short section of a bamboo rod blank (I didn't take a photo of my tie clip):

View attachment 1641232177
I remember seeing the tie clip for sale in the early 1980s at an Orvis dealer. I know of the sample above, but have only seen them for sale on eBay.

They're fun collectables.

Back