breadcrust

GenCon

GenCon

The other day, Mike Richardson did a post about using grouse feathers. I mentioned the bread crust. It is done by taking a grouse tail feather and spliting it down the middle. Then soak well in water or it will split for sure. Also trimming the feather barbs close to the stem. I cut them to about 1/8'' then trim them as need once applied to the hook. Then adding your hackle. Here I used hen grizzly. Partridge also works very well. This fly was one of my Dads favorite wet flies. It does catch fish. This one is for you Dad.

GenCon

Attachments

• P1010609.JPG
    P1010609.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010611.JPG
    P1010611.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 6
thats a very cool fly. I like how its segmented with the split quill and cut barbs. How long do you soak them in water?

Another cool looking tie Michael, that just screams cased caddis! Nicely done.

Yea I would tie in 2 threads of chartreuse floss out the front or back.

Another Pocono favorite, I don't leave home without it. Nice tie

Great tie Mike
Your dad has a big smile on his face !!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, Tyger I soak the quill for at least an hour. For they are very stiff. Maybe we will tie one or two the next time you come over.

GenCon

Very nice tie. I find them to be a real PIA to prepare the quill.

I first learned about them from an old gent on the Dyberry here in Wayne county. We struck up a conversation and he asked me if I had ever heard of the breadcrust. He told me what a great fly it was and apologized that he didn't have one to give me. I looked it up and tied a few but I think I destroyed more quills than I could use to tie.

But those fine examples have inspired me to try again. I have 6 quills soaking right now.

Mike,
Id like to give this fly a try. I feel like splitting the quill will be tricky...

Back in the day, the Breadcrust was my go-to fly for fishing trout in NE PA where I grew up. The fly fished well, was easy to tie and I hunted grouse and had plenty of "free" tails to tie with at the time.

Here is a little history and a great tutorial for tying the pattern:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/082806fotw.php

Guys, I gotta say thanks. I remember reading of this pattern in a Joe Brooks book. Great pattern, great history can't wait to try it. I got some quills soaking now.

Thanks for sharing this great pattern; I love the "old ones" that hopefully guys forget about!

TC

Here is a good Breadcrust variant
mms://69.166.45.60/MMR/KWSUMedia/FlyTying/ftaa223.wmv

That fly would make a great cased caddis imitation.

The Breadcrust is a fantastic pattern. Especially in the Poconos. I tie quite a few using all kinds of quills. Don't limit yourself to grouse. I'm always looking for tailfeathers and wing quills of all types to experiment with. I save all of my used duck wing quills for these patterns. I store all of these quills in a mason jar filled with water and they are super soft when the time comes to use them.

One trick that I have learned to split them is a real timesaver and makes the task a lot easier. Simply insert a single edged razor blade in a vice, and run the quill down over it. Very easy but be careful.

Back in the 70s, there was a commercial tier from the Bethlehem area named George Kovacs. George was an excellent tier and had a killer pattern hat he called the Ashey Pale that was a killer on the Pocono streams. It was a simple pattern to tie, using grouse for the body and a gray partridge hackle that had been dyed dark dun. I don't have much luck with it outside of the Poconos, but it is the go to fly for me when I am fishing the Big Bushkill. You can also utilize mallard wing quill for this pattern and it is equally effective.

GeoCon, that fly is brilliant, thanks for sharing! I have never seen this pattern before, it looks like a killer.

beadhead2 wrote:
Here is a good Breadcrust variant
mms://69.166.45.60/MMR/KWSUMedia/FlyTying/ftaa223.wmv

That looks similar to the pattern from Solomon and Leiser's The Caddis and the Angler. However, the S&L pattern was ribbed with a stripped hackle quill. It's one of the first patterns I learned to tie. The local variant in this post is very interesting.
Mike.

I can't get the above link to work.

Back