Brand new fly tier

ok off the subject... I have tied several nymphs similar to this because... well It was the first thing I ever caught a fish off of and frankly I like it for that very reason. However, I have no clue what it is and this picture isnt quite right.(stole pic from cabela's) In every nymph value pack I bought it had one it it. Lets see if I can explain it. (or the picture too). Has peacock as the tail and body, on the underside is a dark brown feather, maybe pheasant, sometimes a beadhead and a white feather or paper substance on top, both top and bottom pieces maybe 1/4 inch. Close to the pic I posted but not quite, it doesnt have the red hackle. What is the name of this thing and what are the good times of the year to use it??

Could be the zug bug
Zug%20Bug.jpg

or maybe the prince nymph
Prince%20Nymph%201.jpg

As Jack mentioned, it is a zug bug. It a decent attractor pattern and simple to tie. You can also tie it with a bead head. Attached is the recipe:

http://www.westfly.com/patterns/wet/zugbug.shtml

Good luck.

Thanks for posting that Westfly link. I haven't visited there in a while and they have really upgraded their imitations section.

Back