MVC-018S.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 4
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 4
  • MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 2
yeah sure just trying to show off are we henry...

Beadhead..........I've been doin this stuff for close to 50 years and , i think you're pretty good , does that red bodied griffiths gnat looking fly in your pics work? I'll betcha. Gonna try that. I know brown/tan floss works (trade) If you wanna go anywhere in this industry that has sprung up around fly fishing i think you should show off as much as you want , if you just wanna tie nice looking and functioning flies n be able to catch fish on em...............SHOW OFF ANYWAY , YOU'VE (FROM WHAT YOU SHOWED US) EARNED IT.

or just use the flat matchbook weights for the flat sides

troutslammer...............Could you explain what you mean by flat matchbook weights?

Haven;t you ever seen these? They twist on your line. I thought they worked well but I forgot all about them.

Attachments

• twist-on.jpg
    twist-on.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
Yeah now i got it........thanks Tom , i have a book of them somewhere but i remember i didn't care for them for some reason , earlier you said about wrapping the lead and then squeezing it flat with pliers , did you ever put a little dubbibg under the lead? Try it i think you'll like it specially if you use thinner lead like x-ray foil , dubbing under the foil on the front third makes for some nice flat lookin nymphs. I don't know how well we can braid/weave over that though i'll give it a try in the morn and let you know. Thanks.

nice thing most people don't know about twist ons is this , 1st off they get hung up alot less than split shot , the line lays flatter , and by this i mean if u twist one on your line , drop it in the water , your fly will be right on or alot closer than a split shot of the same weight , with a split shot , your split shot sinks and the fly and tippet rise up in the water column higher than it does with the matchbook , try it will see what i mean.

troutslammer...........it seems to me i get hung up a lot less when i build the weight right into the fly than when i use split shot or weight the line/leader , something just came to me while i'm writing this , has anyone ever tried drop-shoting on a fly rod , i'm gonna try that , i'll let you know how it work , those steelhead are in trouble now.

weighted flies do work better , but it is hard to have the exact right weight of fly for the conditions , also its hard to wrap enough wire on a hook for most conditions without comprising the look of the fly , especially tapered bopdy nymphs

Bead2,
That is the exact pattern some oldtimer once gave me on Penns when we were camping at Poe Paddy. Said he was some kind of labor negotiator and #OOPS#ed about the yuppy flyguys. He gave me a photcopied article from the PA Angler. The article was on a guy from sckulkyll county at the Lykens Camp who designed the fly. I tied up a bunch about 10 years ago but I just lost my last one this past year. Unfortunately, I also lost the article, too. They have gotten me my nicest browns on Penns. If anyone knows where to get some old copies of the Angler let me know. The other article I would like was one called "Wild, Clean, and Free on a Creek Named Penns" or something like that from about 1981(read it in the middle school library and still remember it vividly!)

We can braid/weave over lead foil with dubbing underneath , just don't bear down on the weave as much or you'll squish the foil , although that can be squashed flat again with the plyers. While experimenting with this yesterday i came up with something good , use a thin swanundaze sp? for the overbody material and a fuzzy yarn or dubbing for the side/gills , when you're done , pick/brush out the fuzzy material with a bore brush (gun cleaning kit was there) and then trim the fuzz to suit , works easy and looks good , can't wait to try these out , i think the fuzzy part will provide a lot of motion. I'll let you know if they work.

Sorry, the one on the Fly Angers link.

i think the woven body is more trouble than its worth. Heres a technique i find to be just as good and a lot simpler.
Iv had trouble finding a material that is "just right" for the woven bodies. The thread is ether too thick or too thin and i cant seem to find many buggie colors.

Beadhead2..........I'll get to the pictures someday right now i'm still trying to learn about e-mail...........DUH

Back