Boot stud recommendations

JimNovo

JimNovo

I’m looking for recommendations on what studs people like to add to your wading boots.

What grips the best?
What is the easiest to install?
What lasts the longest?

Thanks!!!

I have only used kold kutter screws. They work great, are inexpensive , very to instal with a battery operated screw driver/drill and I replace them about once per year or as needed. very few come out. A drop of Aqua Seal on the threads works great.

I currently use Simms Hardbite Studs in my Simms boots. They are a little pricey, but you can get a few years out of them. There are also some Frogg Togg studs which are 30 for around $10. At that price, you can afford to change them. I have them in my spare boots. Personally, I think one is as good as the other. If you put 20+ days on year on the boots and are walking a lot, they all wear out. I used to use round headed sheet metal screws in my felt boots years ago and that worked.

I few years ago I purchased new Simms wading boots. Did some searching for better screws to put in them. Decided to give Grip Studs a try, all the reviews I read were pretty positive. I spend a good time on the water and they have held up great, not one missing yet after a couple of years. There a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Here's there site https://gripstuds.com/

Another vote for Kold Kutters. Economical and durable.

Gripstuds. Whatever you do don’t buy the threaded inserts that screw right into the new Simms G4 boots. I’ve lost more half of them in less than 3 months just from wading the WB (literally the worlds easiest wading)

So I bought the ones from Orvis. Really good traction, but don't seem to stay in place on my Sims boots. Am I doing anything wrong. BTW I only get out 4-8 times a year.

So I bought the ones from Orvis. Really good traction, but don't seem to stay in place on my Sims boots. Am I doing anything wrong. BTW I only get out 4-8 times a year.
Your not doing anything wrong. As I have written numerous times, stud retention is often all about the composition of midsole of your wading boots. Depending on what your sole and midsole is made of, such as a softer or harder material, determines how well the studs hold in place. I've worn out boots where the sole gives up the ghost or a seam gives out but the studs remain intact. At times I remove and reuse the studs in new boots if they aren't too worn down. Sometimes the studs last longer than the boots themselves.

Your not doing anything wrong. As I have written numerous times, stud retention is often all about the composition of midsole of your wading boots. Depending on what your sole and midsole is made of, such as a softer or harder material, determines how well the studs hold in place.

Gripstuds seem to overcome these issues by way of the auger design of their threads. Since switching too them I have not had a single stud come loose from three different pair of wading shoes/boots.
Previously I was losing conventional screw style studs like crazy, and it didn't seem to mater which boot of stud combination.

I was not impressed by how quickly Kold Kutters wore down and their retention was not great. Economical? Maybe? But then again I went through a large number of them either from loss or wear.

The various Simms studs and cleats I've used provided the best traction of all but their retention was as bad as any others and the cost is definitely not economical.

Kold Kutters here. 250 for around $25

I scuff the crews with sand paper use acetone to clean them up in a paper cup let them dry and use super glue on the treads. That works.
But the best studs were the old Simms studs in the old leather guide boots the rubber wore out before the studs. The only problem I had with those boats were the leather shrinking or the size getting bigger the longer they were wet.

Loc-tite

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-25-00-34-52-880~2.jpeg
    Screenshot_2022-09-25-00-34-52-880~2.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 14
Back