boot sizes - stores are closed

S

springer1

My boots are shot and I can't remember what size I use and the info is long worn off.

I use waders that are sized as "medium 9-11" because I fish year around and always wear 2 pair of HEAVY socks over my size 8 foot.

I'm OK with having to return boots if they don't fit, but I'm like to have a fighting chance that they'd fit the first time.

Does anyone have an idea what size boot would be a good guess for a wader foot sized "Medium 9-11" ?

(I seriously wish this quarantine would be a bit more flexible.)

Thanks.

springer1 wrote:
My boots are shot and I can't remember what size I use and the info is long worn off.

I use waders that are sized as "medium 9-11" because I fish year around and always wear 2 pair of HEAVY socks over my size 8 foot.

I'm OK with having to return boots if they don't fit, but I'm like to have a fighting chance that they'd fit the first time.

Does anyone have an idea what size boot would be a good guess for a wader foot sized "Medium 9-11" ?

(I seriously wish this quarantine would be a bit more flexible.)

Thanks.

Given two pairs of heavy socks and excess material with a size 11 bootie (if the bootie size says 9-11.....it's a size 11 bootie) if I were selling it to you in the store, I would try a 9 first, but I would bet you would need a size 10 wading boot to fit you.

In most cases you can use your normal shoe size.

The wading shoes are sized up to accompany the neoprene bootie of waders.

I wear size 13 shoes, and wading shoes in size 13 usually work for me.

If you call the retailer, tell them your shoe size, and whether you have a wide or narrow foot, and they should be able to give you some guidance. Some models run a little narrower, therefore tighter, than others.

troutbert wrote:

If you call the retailer, tell them your shoe size, and whether you have a wide or narrow foot, and they should be able to give you some guidance.

This is the way to go.

In the past, it seemed that lots of times we needed to "size up", it was a guessing game as to by how much, and it seemed to vary between companies. Now it seems that they have caught on, and just compensate for the additional bulk of neoprene wader booties being worn inside the wading boots.

However, with the OP wearing two layers of heavy socks, he'll likely need to still upsize. Call or email the boot manufacturer, explain the situation, and take it from there.

troutbert wrote:

The wading shoes are sized up to accompany the neoprene bootie of waders.

I wear size 13 shoes, and wading shoes in size 13 usually work for me.

If you call the retailer, tell them your shoe size, and whether you have a wide or narrow foot, and they should be able to give you some guidance. Some models run a little narrower, therefore tighter, than others.

After working quite a few years in a fly shop and fitting many anglers with wading boots, I learned a few things from observation.

I always recommend the angler try to fit wading boots with the same waders and socks they use on the stream.

With well fitting booties (no excess material from oversized booties) and one pair of normal weight socks, the shoe size and wading boot will likely be the same size. The wading boots are designed to fit over a well fitting bootie and a normal weight wading sock.

If the bootie is a lot larger than the angler foot, a larger sized wading shoe is often needed.

And/or if the angler is wearing very heavy socks or especially multiple pairs of heavy socks, I would guess one size up would also be needed.

In this case, the info from the OP post states the boot size is three times their actual foot size (size 8 foot with a size 11 bootie) and the OP stated in capital letters they wear two pair of HEAVY socks. In this case I would try one size larger first, but my best guess would be it would likely take two sizes larger to accommodate both very oversized booties and two very heavyweight pairs of wading socks.

If you can, order a size 9 and a 10 and return the one that doesn't fit.

Thanks all, I seriously appreciate your insight !

I never, ever, ever met a wading shoe that fit right if I went with my street shoe size unless I was bare footed.

I always go 1.5 over my street shoe size which is a 10-1/2. That puts me in a size 12 since wading boots never seem to be offered in half sizes.

That size accommodates socks, the neoprene bootee and accounts for shrinkage which happens with all shoes.

I know some guys who have to soak their boots to get them on or keep them wet all the time for the same reason.

Just saying'...

Thank you all, I ordered size 10 and they feel great. Tight lines !

Back