Boater Etiquette

henrydavid

henrydavid

I'm a wade fisherman. I often encounter boaters on the Susquehanna River North Branch. I realize when the levels are lower the boaters have to maintain speed to clear the rocky areas however when they have a deep channel to pass through do you think they should slow down when approaching other fishermen?

I had a fairly decent evening yesterday, spent some time waiting for the white flies to appear and just during the height of the action I had a crew of bass boys come through at full speed, circle around and then go on their way as if they were simply trying to mess up my fishing, which they did. Before they passed through the water had calmed down and I was seeing quite a few risers, after they blew up the pool it took about 15 minutes for things to return to normal but by that time the short lived hatch was ending and it was pretty much too dark to see anything happening.

I also had a guy on a wave runner do no less that 7 passes earlier in the day, circling around and doing figure 8's practically right in front of me, seemed to me he was trying to tell me to get out. He had a huge stretch of river to play around in but chose to blast wake after wake in my area.

And this is a stretch of the river that is no where near any launches or private property and a little known access spot for walk in fishing only. I might see one or 2 kayaks come through on an average outing.

Frustrated, needed to vent.

henrydavid wrote:
I'm a wade fisherman. I often encounter boaters on the Susquehanna River North Branch. I realize when the levels are lower the boaters have to maintain speed to clear the rocky areas however when they have a deep channel to pass through do you think they should slow down when approaching other fishermen?

I had a fairly decent evening yesterday, spent some time waiting for the white flies to appear and just during the height of the action I had a crew of bass boys come through at full speed, circle around and then go on their way as if they were simply trying to mess up my fishing, which they did. Before they passed through the water had calmed down and I was seeing quite a few risers, after they blew up the pool it took about 15 minutes for things to return to normal but by that time the short lived hatch was ending and it was pretty much too dark to see anything happening.

I also had a guy on a wave runner do no less that 7 passes earlier in the day, circling around and doing figure 8's practically right in front of me, seemed to me he was trying to tell me to get out. He had a huge stretch of river to play around in but chose to blast wake after wake in my area.

And this is a stretch of the river that is no where near any launches or private property and a little known access spot for walk in fishing only. I might see one or 2 kayaks come through on an average outing.

Frustrated, needed to vent.

I'm with you HD!

Last year I was wading pretty much midriver on the NB of the Susky since the water was low. I had a few groups of kaykers pass by and each made sure they passed behind where I was fishing and I gave them a friendly wave.

Later, towards evening an "angler" in a jet-boat all rigged up with 6 rods in his rack, barreled full-throttle down the river right in front of me throwing a chest-high wake into me....unbelieveable!

As a jet boat owner I will tell you that a good number of jet boaters are complete tools. Yes they should unquestionably not throw wakes when amongst waders, tubers, or other floaters. Someone's safety is more important than a boat bottom. In most cases they would similarly lt float over any rocks anyway. If a wader is knee deep then there's no need to be on plane. I power down every time without anger or frustration with others enjoying the river as they see fit.

A quick google search turned up this from the PAFBC:

In Pennsylvania It is illegal to...
Operate a boat at greater than slow, no-wake speed within
100 feet of the shoreline, docks, launch ramps, swimmers
or downed skiers, persons wading in the water, anchored,
moored or drifting boats and floats.

Maybe get a picture of the hull numbers and pass it on to the authorities.

Those of us that fish the Lehigh can tell you horror stories of rafters and kayakers. Typically you need to fish above white haven or below Jim Thorpe on weekends.

I will say that those who are on " guided" trips aren't to bad as the rafting companies give them an etiquette tune up prior to the trip. Those who are private rafters and kayakers from big cities Philadelphia NYC are obnoxious

Take video, then report them.

A good portion of boat owners are just oblivious. I'm finishing up vacation at deep creek lake and the things I have seen this week are mind blowing. The best one was a dad" driving" the boat while watching his son ski and come a few feet from a sail boat. There is just a lack of consideration when it comes to operating anything with a motor....now get the hell of my lawn.

I regularly fish a portion of the Delaware river where the take out point for two major river tubing companies is located. I don't understand how tubers or kayakers ruin the fishing. Let the tubes go by and the fishing returns almost instantly. If your afraid their scaring the fish simply cast ten feet to the side of the tubers. The fish aren't running to another county because of a kayak. They're simply moving several feet away. I drift over fish in an 18 foot boat and catch them 10 feet back after drifting over them. You can see them move away from your boat and then watch them move back as soon as the boat passes.

I also will never demand that a tuber or kayaker learn fishing etiquette. They're not fishing. It's best that fishermen lighten up and learn to share what's not exclusively theirs.

DaveS wrote:
A quick google search turned up this from the PAFBC:

In Pennsylvania It is illegal to...
Operate a boat at greater than slow, no-wake speed within
100 feet of the shoreline, docks, launch ramps, swimmers
or downed skiers, persons wading in the water, anchored,
moored or drifting boats and floats.

Maybe get a picture of the hull numbers and pass it on to the authorities.

Unfortunately, laws only work to the extent to which likely to be enforced. I can't say that I've never broken the speed limit, for example.

poopdeck wrote:
I regularly fish a portion of the Delaware river where the take out point for two major river tubing companies is located. I don't understand how tubers or kayakers ruin the fishing. Let the tubes go by and the fishing returns almost instantly. If your afraid their scaring the fish simply cast ten feet to the side of the tubers. The fish aren't running to another county because of a kayak. They're simply moving several feet away. I drift over fish in an 18 foot boat and catch them 10 feet back after drifting over them. You can see them move away from your boat and then watch them move back as soon as the boat passes.

I also will never demand that a tuber or kayaker learn fishing etiquette. They're not fishing. It's best that fishermen lighten up and learn to share what's not exclusively theirs.

It is apparent that you are a courteous boater/angler.

I agree that kayakers/tubers have little or no impact on fishing most times.

But, just like it is on the road with vehicles, people should have courtesy, not cut you off, do stupid things, and sometimes do dangerous things.

I often fish a lake close to home and can't tell you how many times, while fishing the shoreline 30 or so feet from the bank (with 500 acres of water behind me) have had kayakers or boarders paddle through in front of me between my boat and the bank.

Common sense and courtesy is lacking by too many people.

I appreciate when others show courtesy and try to repay the favor by reciprocating and giving them plenty room to do their own thing; making for a more enjoyable day for everyone on the water.

poopdeck wrote:

Ask the guides on the Little Juniata River if the kayakers impact the fishing. You'll get a completely different story.

I get it but as long as they have no idea their breaking a fishing code of ethic they are not being discourteous. I guess I just have a longer fuze when it comes to that stuff. Probably comes from living in a very populated portion of the state. Now jet skies are a scourge. They can make me see red every time.

There's no need to check with the river guides. I experience it every time I go out in the summer time. From my own personal experience I know there is little impact from tubers and kayakers. Perhaps the guides use the tubers as a convenient excuse for a lack of execution.

As someone who has been on both sides of the fence, I understand the frustrations. I always ask if there is enough water for me to paddle behind fisherman. Most wading fisherman don't know what is adequate depth for boats. I know that.

In that case, I tell them that my line is out of the water. I am not fishing. I do not want to disturb the water at all that they are fishing. I will move on as quickly as possible with out disturbing the water.

I really don't think that a fish knows the difference in the upper water between a passing canoe or a moving cloud as long as my padddle and fishing line is out of the water.

That is what I do to be a courteous and considerate canoeist sharing the water with everyone else.

There's no need to check with the river guides. I experience it every time I go out in the summer time. From my own personal experience I know there is little impact from tubers and kayakers. Perhaps the guides use the tubers as a convenient excuse for a lack of execution.

I've often said that if fish in my home stream stopped feeding every time a tuber or kayaker passed overhead, they'd starve to death. The only negative impact they have on fishing is the inconvenience of having to let my line dangle straight downstream while pass. I've caught at least hundreds, and probably a thousand or more, trout within thirty seconds of a floater passing. (That's not an exaggeration -- both kayakers and tubers seem to kick up the bottom enough that they provide an unintended chum line and fishing seems to pick up as they approach and just after they've passed.)

Power boats, however, are a different story.

Jet skis deserve our ire. Kayaks, canoes.....own the river just like we do. Courtesy? Sure but let's not lump the self propelled folks in with the gas heads.

This summer we went up to lake Harmony. Kayaking was very unpleasant with all the boat action. One of the worst things I witnessed was a guy on a jet ski go full throttle between two kayaks. These people were obviously kayaking together and were at the MOST 30 feet apart. He had the entire lake to use and he chose to shoot between them. Ridiculous.

Update to PAFF Dictionary - 2017 ed.

Motorboater - Yakker with a motor. See definition of yakker.

I see this almost every day. And just like you mentioned there is really no need for the jet skis to come up into this particular stretch. Especially when there are hundreds of tubers clogging the area. Only reason is to show off. A majority of the jet boats do the same thing although the jet boats make an attempt to stay away from the tubers but this is impossible. I just don't understand why they don't slow down.

Where I fish I'm drifting with hundreds and hundreds of tubers as if I'm a tuber. Come mid day there are so many tubers that you can either get angry, cuss them, or enjoy their company. I enjoy the company. We drift alongside each other, talk, occasionally share drinks and they cheer us after each fish landed. Yes we catch fish as if they are not there. Nothing really changes fishing wise unless they are paddling. Fortunately the area is close to the take out and the current is usually sufficient.

I usually don't have a problem with the "plastic hatch" (kayakers), but this past Saturday a group of about 12 were on a stretch of the Susky, and they were the loudest bunch of drunken s#@+heads I guess I've ever been around. They must all have been deaf, because they wouldn't stop shouting words that could have just been spoken instead. They wrecked about 100 yards for us before they finally got back in their yaks and got the hell out of Dodge. Usually I don't have much issue with kayaks and tubes, but these folks took the cake.

On that same stretch last year, I was working what I would usually call a guaranteed hole, in that I almost always catch a few decent fish from it, when a jet boat rolled up on full plane and cut the engine maybe 50' away, throwing wakes 1-2' high crashing against the shoreline. The guy asked me if I was doing any good, and I let him have it, telling him I had been until his ignorant a$$ barrelled into the stretch like a f&^%ing moron. For a second he looked like he might want to fight me over it, but when I stood up to pull anchor, he changed his mind and sped off, presumably to go and screw his sister.

I'd like to see some stretches of some of these rivers closed to motorized boats altogether, like they do some of the lakes. That would definitely improve the experience for a lot of folks.

Fire bottle rockets at anyone passing by that annoys you.

I love to fish crappy weather days for this very reason.

Back