Boater Etiquette

Any time you get on some water with a lot of other people there will be some morons. They come in all types and can include fishermen. Lake Nockamixon where I often go to fish or kayak has hundreds of boats on the water during summer weekends. Some of these people think they should have half the lake to themselves.

I took a kayak out a couple weeks ago. Launched at 5:30 AM. No one around. When I come back one guy is fishing about 75 yards down the shore from my launch/unload spot. I carefully come in well away from his bobber so I don't disturb his fishing but he still blows a cork. All the while wakes hitting shore by him from boats running down the middle of the lake.

Float Rage

Last Susky float, I was pumping the oars pretty hard as I went by a jet boat. He says "where's the fire?". I said "Hey, I'm waking you..... like you did me an hour ago. Guess it doesn't have the same effect since I can get er on plane. Hope you wrap it around a rock at full throttle.". He smiled and shook his head but I think he got the message that he was operating like a douchebag

Wow! and I thought tough, aggressive talk was just for the supermarket parking lot! Stream rage! Try to keep em in your shorts fellers!

When I'm anchored with a little kid in the front and d-bag guy runs his 22'sled in at full throttle and then shut it off, he causes a wave big enough to almost swamp his boat. I have to scramble to get the anchor up and turn into the waves or he'll sink my boat.

It's not about being tough when that's going on. Pretty sure it's not funny to sink someone's boat or make wakes so big that a kid is tossed overboard. I think I will start filling and forward to PFBC. Few fines should stop the shenanigans.

FT, go back under your rock. I like you better when you're gone.

there's always a little kid to protect when these incidemts happen.

Anyway the waterways must be getting dangerous what with all these knuckleheads wading in other peoples riffs and stuff. And hopping out of driftboats and fighting. Wowee!

You've been a member since 2012.....congrats on 5 years of membership without contributing a single decent post. Keep up the substandard work

krayfish2 wrote:
You've been a member since 2012.....congrats on 5 years of membership without contributing a single decent post. Keep up the substandard work

amazing post!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was young and dumb: We were fishing Deep Creek lake one morning in a small boat with a 5 horse kicker when a slalom water skier made a cut and was obviously going to try splashing us with his wake.

I swerved in his direction trying to cut him off (or down) and he spilled in a fantastic wreck narrowly missing our boat. The DNR witnessed the event and ticketed the boat driver and water skier.

I would not do that now but at the time it seemed like the right thing.

Mark C

It's a funny thing about being confrontational--you tend to win most confrontations. I'm with Kray on most things, but especially this.

sez Homer Simpson with a gun

I don't have much contact with jet boaters, but have had friends who owned jet boats. I have no problem with them zooming up or down the river. They have to stay on plan going through shallow water. It's the reason for having a jet in he first place rather than a prop. You can go through inches of water as long as you stay on plane. I have no problem with that.

But when they deliberately buzz others on the big rivers, like the Allegheny, this usually falls under the category of "people suck."

Same thing with skiers, when they deliberately buzz others on the river.

A friend of mine used to fish a reservoir from his 16 foot fishing boat. This lake was popular with skiers as well. He'd stay out of the main channel and still would have skiers deliberately buzzing them and throwing water on them while they are trying to fish. But eventually he figured out that they stop doing that after a bucket of pee is tossed in their general direction. ;-)

I can't say that I have ever had an issue with kayakers or tubers while I was fishing. I have always been courteous to them, and they have always been courteous to me. Maybe I am just lucky, or simply have a friendly face.;-)

I'd admire the passive-aggressive nature of the comment, if I admired that kind of behavior.

I'd never wear that....but it looks good on you. LMAO

What, you buy this hat, you get a free bowl of soup?

Back