BOA laces vs traditional laces

steveo27

steveo27

Long story short, I need to replace my current wading boots as they are more Aquaseal than actual boot at this point.

Ive been looking at boots and noticed a lot of manufactures are now offering the BOA lace systems on their boots. I was looking for personal experiences with BOA laces and any input.

They seem like a neat idea, but at the same time, a gimmick. I like the idea of not worrying about laces coming untied. I like the idea of the "laces" being stainless and replaceable when they wear/stretch out. I like the idea of them not freezing up.

But at the same time, traditional laces seem to stay tied 90% of the time when they are double knotted. Traditional laces are way easier to replace when the time comes. There are less moving parts on them to break.

Are the BOA laces really worth the extra money?

Freezing up? If its that cold out, probably should stay inside.

As for BOA laces, I have yet to meet a person that was happy they got them. Probably fish with 6-8 guys that got that type of system and they have tried to give / sell them to me after just a few trips.

If Simms came out with a square bicycle wheel and told you it was better, would you buy it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure the next couple of posts will rave about how easy they are to use or how the BOA system allows them to get on the stream 48 seconds faster that those tired / old traditional laces.....or......how laces are for those traditional 'boo' guys. I see no benefit over laces so I haven't switched nor do I see myself ever going with that system. Plus is that I get practice tying my shoes which always impresses my mom.

krayfish2 wrote:

As for BOA laces, I have yet to meet a person that was happy they got them. Probably fish with 6-8 guys that got that type of system and they have tried to give / sell them to me after just a few trips.

If Simms came out with a square bicycle wheel and told you it was better, would you buy it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure the next couple of posts will rave about how easy they are to use or how the BOA system allows them to get on the stream 48 seconds faster that those tired / old traditional laces.....or......how laces are for those traditional 'boo' guys. I see no benefit over laces so I haven't switched nor do I see myself ever going with that system. Plus is that I get practice tying my shoes which always impresses my mom.

Not really newfangled since skiers and snowboarders have used the boa system for decades. Not my preference, but some may find it useful.

Attachments

• K-fish.jpg
    K-fish.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 3
I prefer traditional laces.

I was thinking of switching to boot foot waders as my back surgery made reaching to the bottom of the laces and tightening and/or loosening my left foot very painful on my back and leg. All the physical therapy in the world isn't going to change that.

I gave BOA a try and it is night and day for me. It is much easier tighten and loosen.

I see em as a gimmick thats why I was asking for others opinions. just another new "tactical" gimmick to sell new products.

But at the same time, I can see where they would help someone who has back problems.

I dont think Im sold on them as normal shoelaces have yet to let me down in my 30 years.

krayfish2 wrote:

Ive been out in 50* weather where this is still snow on the ground and the snow sticks to everything, including laces where it turns into a giant ball of #censor# dangling off your boots

If Simms came out with a square bicycle wheel and told you it was better, would you buy it? [/quote]

LOL

Thank you for noticing. I considered that as one of my best post. Lol

I love the boa system on my korkers. Ive had boa on three different boots never an issue. Much easier on, much easier off, never need to worry about coming undone and they never wear out or need to be replaced. As far as freezing its never happened to me. Against krays advice I went out yesterday for a few hours and they came right off just like any other day. My velcro shoes now that's another story........

I would not like to be out fishing and something on my boot broke and I couldn't fix it on the spot. Laces can be tied together if one breaks and you can continue. With the nefangled system I don't know what happens is they break..........I'm staying with laces..........I do carry and extra one in my vest back pocket.........

I have the boa system as well. I bought the replacement cable and keep it in my pack for back up. Ive never had a problem with them and Ive had them for maybe 5 years now.

my boa's are a little over a year old and the cables are done already. I figured it out cleaning them kept getting stabbed by the broken cable. With a fishing trip the next day I could not find cables local. I ended up running out and buying new laced boots. I still haven't ordered cables cause they really aren't much different. honestly I think the laces are easier to use most of the time.

I have seen a few BOA systems where the cables rubbed through the cable lace guides and no real fixing that.

First off, the quality and performance of laces is highly under-rated as an issue. I brought this up to my FFing buddy about 20 years ago when we switched crappy laces for tough Danner laces. He says the same thing to some of his clients, as he has been a guide in Montana for about, yeesh, 9 years now? (I don't like doing the 'I know a guide/cop/doctor' thing, but some people won't listen unless you name drop. so whatever)

With that established, BOA lace make a big difference. I got my BOA lace boots from LLBEAN 2 years ago, before i got hip replacement surgery. I COULD NOT lace my right boot, so the simple BOA twist saved my season. They are fast. They can be tightened to wading and use level, which I have not been able to do with conventional laces. I've always had to re-tie. They don't come lose. Water doesn't effect them. They don't fray.

I have found the advantages to be significant and the disadvantage to be the extra cost: very quickly forgotten.

Syl

Maybe I fish too much cause my BOA cables are all frayed(only holding by 2 cable treads). I bought mine in Oct of 2014-orvis felt bottoms and stopped using them in December 2015. I think the BOA was sometimes hard to pull to get them undone in the cold-with cold hands. I am talking below 30-35deg after fishing all day.

I have a pair of Korkers with BOA. Didn't buy the boot because of BOA, but I've been happy with them after 4 seasons. Just like with laces, I would not be caught dead on the water without a replacement set.

If you can tie your shoes you should never buy BOA's. They are horrible. I went through cables way too often. Having to stop fishing to spend 15 minutes trying to fix my boots during good fishing will just not cut it. Then there was the first time they broke and I didn't have replacement laces. Was not fun fishing trying to keep your boot on and then walking out. I dunno, maybe I fished too much when I used them. I have had a pair of regular laces for 2 years and never had to replace.

Thanks for the info and stories guys. Really appreciate it.

I weighed my options and went with the boots with traditional laces because the BOA system doesnt seem to fit my needs based on the shared info. However, I found out today my buddy just ordered a new pair of wading boots as well, he went with a pair with the BOA laces on them. I guess we'll get to see how they hold up

It is good to look at your individual situation. When I had this discussion it turned out that some folks actually go out 200 times a year. Lucky them. I've just never been able to pull that off. At that rate you are going to burn through gear. I have the cables but I do carry a spare.

I've had 4 pair of BOA's for wading boots. 2 pair of Korkers and two pair of Simms. They were all great.

Right nobody has the cable repair kit M2 in stock for the BOA. Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling.

I just got the Korker Devil's Canyon boots with BOA. One time on the stream so far and I'm loving them. Ankle support and easy on/off is important to me, and they got it! We'll see how they hold up, but I am not too concerned about the BOA system failing. I have a repair kit on back order and will carry it in my car or on me if I'm really out in the woods.

Just yesterday I was at ****'s Sporting good and saw a pair of snowboarding boots with BOA. Same system but used a string, yes a STRING, instead of wire. It was about the same thickness as the wire. THAT would concern me, but it also makes me feel better about the wire my boots use.

Back