Bitteroot Montana July 19-26 2014

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Prof and I will be there in a week and I will post!!! Trip of a lifetime for me. For all TU members great article on Montana fishing in the summer edition of the magazine.

Sounds like fun. Enjoy your trip. Stayed at the Anglers Roost access for a few days. Lots of cobble stones and as summer progress the cobbles get exposed and there are 20-30 yards of exposed cobbles on each side of the river. Kinda neat looking.

I was there in Aug 2009 and was was very hot- took a trip up a trib to the Bitterroot and it was one of the best fishing days and best days of my life- caught dozens of Westslope cutthroats and a Bull trout on big dries. Enjoy the trip

One day drifting. We are staying at Phantom Ranch in Darby

http://www.vrbo.com/468480#photos

I'll let Prof sleep on the side that says "Cow Girl"

fade - looks nice.

Quite a bit of access up and down the 'root. You can even fish right in Missoula and out by Fort Smith. Be aware the dam removal put a lot of heavy metal laden silt in the river, so ask the shops about that. Try out Rock Creek, especially up the dirt road a few miles (or dozens is better) - it is smaller and doesn't have the problem that Clark Fork has, where you might be half a mile away from a nice pod of risers.

hp
les

Love the bitterroot, fished it from a drift boat many times, some of those side channels have some big browns, it always fished better on a cloudy day, I`m hoping to get out there next year

oooh, definitely post up when you get back! Girlfriend and I will be there in mid-Sept, staying at Angler's Roost for four nights (Fri-Tues) before heading over to Yellowstone for the rest of the week. I won a one day float on the Bitteroot thru a friend's TU Chapter raffle, so we're scheduled to use that on Sunday and explore by foot for the remainder, Rock Creek is also on the shortlist..

Have Fun!

If ya wanna sound local and not touristy,say root like foot,not boot.
wonderful area-love that part-just remember if you drive 93-watch out for under the weather native americans.

jrcll wrote:
Love the bitterroot, fished it from a drift boat many times, some of those side channels have some big browns, it always fished better on a cloudy day, I`m hoping to get out there next year
until early winter-
Always pray for cloudy days-spitting rain a blessing or fish sundown to sun up-sleep during the day.
If you can handle the off weather you will not believe the difference.That's when you can have fishing most only dream about.

Enjoy! I love the Rockies, I can't wait to read the report.

have fun, i just got back from a week of fishing in that area.(6th-13th) first time out there. It was awesome! can't wait to see the pics. on a different note, I'm not sure where all you plan on fishing, but if you have the upper Rock creek drainage, or other streams in the philipsburg area on your list to fish, be aware that the road you would likely take to get there (Skalkaho Highway) is closed at the moment. just a heads up.

Had to share this pic a friend of ours posted on Face Book with the comment "Think I'm ready for Montana?" He is meeting us there. I commented back that Huarache Sandals are worn by surfers not FFmen.

Attachments

• 10494798_10152589717643894_7378147336480169798_n.jpg
    10494798_10152589717643894_7378147336480169798_n.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2
Was there last September and stayed in Darby. If you get a chance go fish the West Fork and the East Fork of the Bitterroot. Both places are wade friendly. East Fork small stream and good dry fly fishing, but didn't fish it. The West Fork was a great piece of water. We fished it from top to bottom and spent six days swing wet flies on her and caught lots of fish. Bitterroot River a little to big for wading but possible if your want to put some miles on. Have a great time.

Wetfly any particular wet fly pattern would you recommend for this time of year?

Have fun, and watch out for bears.

I'm also headed out on 07/18. Flying in to Bozeman and meeting my buddy. I will fish the Gallatin on Friday and then we are headed out to the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho for a few days. From there we will head back to Bozeman and stop and fish The Big Hole for a few days. We are camping the entire time.

As was stated earlier, fish the West Fork of the Bitteroot. It is a nice river and more intimate than the main Bitteroot. Darby is a cool little town with the western feel to it. Have fun! It's a great state.

Just called Darby Wine & Spirits and they have special ordered for us the attached:

Attachments

• Dry Fly.jpg
    Dry Fly.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 4
fade

No particular wet worked better then any other. Here are a few that worked for us Picket Pin,Purple Haze wet,different colored Pheasant Tails, Hare's Ear wet,#10 brown/yellow Woolly Bugger. We also fished Rock Creek a number of days. Same flies worked over there too. We were right at the end of the hopper season and we did take a few on wet hoppers and bettles. Again have a great time.....

Get some of that Idaho vodka also.

just returned this week- streams are flowing- lots of water
Main Broot is high- tough wading
Bhole full of mosquitoes & trout
WFork best option- below dam is COLD(bottom release)
E Fork is second
W Fork above dam good to Alta
Blodgett Cr is awesome if you can handle mile hike
don't be afraid to toss huge flies-use 2x tippet
hot- 90s- keep hydrated

Back