Biggest wild trout this season?

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Salv- Awesome fish. Huge tail. Congrats!

Hope we see more pics from guys. May was good!

Thanks foxtrapper, that's my biggest fish ever on a dry fly, caught on one of the first days of the early afternoon sulpher hatch. Drug me downstream about 80 yards on 5x tippet.

evw659 wrote:
Wow, nice fish so far everybody! Keep em coming...
Salvelinus, that's a monster wild brown. Pretty sure I know where you caught it too.

Thanks man, take your guess..

I've only been out four times this year for maybe a total of 20 hours of fishing, but I've been uncommonly effective. One wild brown at 17", two at 18", and one (Monday) at 22". I should be reverting back to the mean any time now, but I've certainly been on something of a roll. I don't have pics of the second 18" fish, so you'll have to take my word for it.

FxXIN0L1Q1fQuz6vCzzVxQ

YvnsssqCQ_NZNOg0LI7H5Q

DFNXYesNI9vDG4ngTQjJ4Q

Took a 21" Brown on the Neversink a few days back on a streamer. As anyone who has fished the gorged knows, I worked for that one.

salvelinus wrote:

Really looks like a lj fish, if I had to guess I would say somewhere between the gorge and the mouth, but I really dont know...

Jessed wrote:
724 I scrolled through your photo bucket and that was a awesome bow

Thanks! I was not expecting to catch him. I was fishing for natives with my 7' 4wt in the middle of December in your typical brookie mountain stream. I was trying to get a bigger native (10"ish) to hit a little wooly bugger on the swing after many failed attempts with nymphs. Then I tried dead drifting that wooly bugger and that big bow came out of nowhere and destroyed it. It about had my 7' bent in half. Who knows how it got there but it was definitely there a long time.

evw659 wrote:
salvelinus wrote:

Really looks like a lj fish, if I had to guess I would say somewhere between the gorge and the mouth, but I really dont know...

Close enough

Nice pics guys. Sarce, don't make me come steal your fish. Those old dinosaur pool bosses are my fave. Got my biggest wild brown from the same deal and I can see it in my head. Goodluck, hope you net em.

Salve, thats a big fish, even with the net distortion. Fox, you got a bunch of nice ones too. Heck everyone does. I can't even remember if I caught anything big this year. I know my two biggest fish were stocked. I'll have to look back through pics and post back up. 15-16" brown probably from LJR probably.

This big beautiful beefy brown jumped 5x, landing each time with a loud "splat" before I brought it to net. I took it on a #20 Lotus on 5x tippet, sight fished in a foot of water. It was thrilling!

It was at least 22", caught a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• Big beautiful beefy brown.jpg
    Big beautiful beefy brown.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 5
I'm convinced a lot of the big wild browns in my favorite water got picked over by the catch and keep crowd this spring, more so than previous years. I've seen some in photos on facebook and other internet places that prove my theory. Yesterday I caught a few nice ones in the 12" range so my hopes are restored for the next generation. I'm hoping I was just having bad luck in some of my most faithful spots.

18 inch brown Monday morning on Penns. Hit really hard and fought like a beast. No pic but best so far for me. Netted him and after I let him go, dropped my net expecting it to stay attached to the magnetic net holder. Watched the fish swim away and my net float down stream. The damn screw came out of the end. Oh well, needed an excuse to get one of the newer clear rubber nets anyway.

20" brown and 23" brown. My buddy caught a 23 and 26.5".....lets just say we're having a phenomenal year.

Best one for June. Good sized but not biggest for year. :) Rainbow is from April. It is one of the fattest and prettiest big ones I've caught. Nice to know some of these big fish are around. Great to see all the pics. Keep them coming. Where's all the big ones from the upper D? Just that one?

Attachments

• a brown (2) (458x258).jpg
    a brown (2) (458x258).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4
  • a rainbow (2) (458x258).jpg
    a rainbow (2) (458x258).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 6
Biggest this season? Oh gosh, easy since I just caught it on Friday (6/3), a 4lb, 19.5 inch female wild Adirondack brook trout! I caught 4 others that day from 13-17 inches that would also all have been my largest ever wild brookies. My Dad caught 5 as well, including two that were 18 and 18.5 inches each. We each also lost brookies that were likely over 20 inches. My dad actually had his break off his 2x tippet! He also had another catch of a lifetime with over 31 inches of wild brook trout on the line in the form of a 13 incher and the 18.5 incher, and the guide was able to net both! This was the fishing day of a lifetime for both of us. My camera phone and the glaring sun didn't do these fish justice but you couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces the entire rest of the trip.

These fish were amazing and fought as hard as any wild fish I've ever caught, the head shakes and powerful runs were just awesome. And the scenery at this secluded Adirondack wilderness pond was spectacular. It was just us and the guide surrounded by the water, floating bogs, mountain views, a bald eagle soaring overhead and the calls of the nesting loons carrying across the immense pond.

RyanR that sounds epic!

Yesterday I was able to land one of the big browns in the small freestone stream I've been fishing - not the one I was targeting, but roughly the same size. It was (measured) 17" but built like a 20+. One of the fattest browns I have ever seen and probably the strongest brown I've done battle with. Took a good 3 minutes to land and I was bearing down using 2X.

I just moved into a new place and will get the pic up once my internet is up and running.

Nice one from June. 20" for sure. Unlike Trump I have large hands. Cool weather and bugs....what more can we ask?

Attachments

• rainbow june 8 (452x195).jpg
    rainbow june 8 (452x195).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 4
June has been good. After ten years of fly fishing PA wild trout streams, I might just actually be getting the idea of it.

Hit the lower end of Penn's Creek C&R over the weekend. Skunked the first evening. But the next morning I got two- 16 and 17 in. And get this- the 16" fish was a tiger trout! That was by far the biggest tiger trout I've ever caught. Not sure if anyone stocks tiger trout in Penn's- it would be especially great if it were a stream-bred fish.

The morning after that, I got four fish, all of them small- between 4 and 11 in.
The last day at Penn's, I got two more big fish. The first about 15", on a size 18 partridge and peacock soft hackle- and then my first trout over 20" ever to hand, on an articulated bunny fly.
I only have a pic of the 15" trout- all of the others were too frisky to pose for me.

On the way home, I stopped at the LeTort in the Heritage section. Sparse sulphur hatch coming off, but it led to a few risers just before dusk. After about 30 minutes, got a nice little brown on a #14 sulphur emerger, cast upstream- my first dry fly trout ever from the LeTort, and also the largest one so far- about 9".
That was as cool as getting the 20"+ brownie from Penn's.

I do really wish I had a picture of the 16" tiger trout from Penn's. I wonder if anyone else has caught that fish...

Great pictures everyone, My two best so far this year would be a snack for some of the fish on here lol. But here they are, a real nice bookie, didn't measure him but he was pushing the 12" mark. And a nice freestoner brown im guessing around 13" which I thought was pretty good for the size stream he came out of.

Attachments

• rsz_brookie.jpg
    rsz_brookie.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 5
  • rsz_brownie1.jpg
    rsz_brownie1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4
Those are great small stream fish, NPFC. Love the coloration on the brown!!

Hope to get pics posted tonight

barbless- Tigers stocked in Elk Cr. (trib to Penns.), Likely one of them. Still a neat catch!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lot's of nice fish on here!

Back