Big Pine Creek above Waterville Pa.

M

maxima12

Will be leaving for Big Pine on 7-17-19. My informant has relayed info to me, regarding exactly what I was thinking. Trout are boiling, with great numbers! Not over yet on Big Pine. Gang and I, will be going small. !6, !8, 20's. Colors, white, yellow, lt. yellow, sulphur orange, small quills, dun, brown, ginger etc.

Tied over 15 dozen assorted. Would have liked some 22 and 24's but none of us can see good enough to put one on, anymore!

If you are hungry for a trout dinner, this stream will be a good place to harvest some, as water temps will soon be warm.

Mike, you must have read my mind!

Well let's see. Pine below Little Pine is 77 degrees today. And today's a cooler day than it's been. Kettle is over 72. Slate Run fly shop is discouraging fishing now. But you go ahead because you're maxima12. The hell with the fish.

Kettle fished well all week in the stocked sections, probably aided by cooling night-time thunderstorms and inflow from cold and higher than normal flowing tribs.. Fish were active day and night. Before the rains I measured a late afternoon temp of about 69.8 deg F. near the Clinton/Potter line.

salvelinus wrote:
Well let's see. Pine below Little Pine is 77 degrees today. And today's a cooler day than it's been. Kettle is over 72. Slate Run fly shop is discouraging fishing now. But you go ahead because you're maxima12. The hell with the fish.

Not sure why anybody would discourage trout fishing with high water temp's if all fish are being harvested. This is the time of year I keep trout for the freezer. I admit seeing a FF'r toting a stringer with 5 trout is uncommon but a stocked trout filet tastes more "normal" by this time of year.

Pine was 74F at about 3:00 today, a few miles downstream from Darling Run. We crossed it (wet wading) to fish a trib, and on the way back. You could tell it was borderline, or worse, for Trout anyway.

A few guys FFing in the early morning on the way in. No one fishing on the way back. Saw an Osprey with a Trout, but did not observe any caught by anglers on Pine. The trib was 58F, and a real butt kicker, but fished well.

Milsertime,
Fully agree. In fact, I sometimes refer to it as showing some mercy toward the remaining stocked trout in streams that get as warm as Pine. And in the case of Pine, with the high number stocked, there are most likely plenty remaining to eventually die in the heat.

Will let you know how this plays out! Gang and I are looking forward to this great trip.

Millsertime wrote:
salvelinus wrote:

Not sure why anybody would discourage trout fishing with high water temp's if all fish are being harvested. This is the time of year I keep trout for the freezer. I admit seeing a FF'r toting a stringer with 5 trout is uncommon but a stocked trout filet tastes more "normal" by this time of year.

Agree

I might harvest a few left over stocked rainbows soon. I've been wanting a fish dinner soon.

Higher flows and usual cold water refuges had a lot of stocked fish holding over through last summer into fall and even to this spring. Was catching big stocked holdover Rainbows and Browns in winter and early spring in a couple streams that normally get "too warm" for trout to survive. I would hope that those who love eating fish would stay away from the cold water refuges where they stack up. But perhaps I have already said too much. I suspect that a lot of the talk of bait fishing and killing trout on a fly fishing site is just meant to rile people up anyway.

http://www.limestonespringspreserve.com/

I understand both sides.

Here are the comments under stream conditions for Slate Run Fly Shop:

Conditions on Pine Creek make it tough on the trout for the foreseeable future. Anglers should refrain from trout fishing in Pine Creek for trout.

Daytime water temperatures in the high 60s and low 70s are forcing trout to stack up at the mouths of tributaries and around the spring seeps where cooler water enters Pine.

Although you'll be able to see trout in the areas where they school-up seeking cooler water, hooking and landing them could easily kill them in such conditions. If left alone, many trout will survive to be caught again whenever the weather cools, especially in the fall, winter and next spring.

As a great alternative to trout fishing, anglers should switch equipment, flies and methods to target Pine Creek's abundant smallmouth bass and other warmwater species populations.

Link to source > http://slaterun.com/stream-conditions.php

I do not fish for trout when temps that day are expected to exceed 20*C / 68*F.

Some see it as being merciful, but I will not be part of pursuing creatures trying to find refuge and hanging on to survive.

I switch to warmwater fishing for smallies or panfish.

If I really want to do some summer trout fishing, I choose to fish the many tailwater, spring-fed or cool mountain headwater streams in PA that remain cool enough for trout to survive and thrive.

If you are looking to fish for trout, ask on here where to go. There are plenty of experienced FFers in all parts of PA that can guide you to a place where trout are doing well. This is especially true for the last two seasons.

The choice is yours, though. Do whatever you think is right.

I certainly have no issue with those who chose to keep trout when they will go from stream to frying pan. I do find it humorous when those who keep their "limit", freeze them. Most end up throwing them away 6 months later due to freezer burn.

I've never fished up that way, and seem to read conflicting information. Are most of the fish there stocked or wild?

Good, objective, and informative post from Slate Run there. Good for them for doing that the right way.

To be clear, if you’re looking to keep some Trout to eat, there’s nothing wrong with that, provided you’re not fishing over a thermal refuge spot. They do taste better with nice firm flesh by this time of year, as opposed to the freshly stocked fish food mush. (Think the consistency of a muddy, silty batch of steamed crabs.) Attempting to C&R at the temps of Pine anywhere below the West Branch confluence in Galeton is probably at least somewhat unethical at this point until temps cool.

I inadvertently hooked a Rainbow tight to a bank in the shade while WW fishing a stream that isn’t Trout stocked a few Summers ago. Thought it was a big Fallfish, but as soon as it got out of the shade it went belly up and let me drag it in. I harvested it and at it for dinner that night. Agree with joe, if you’re gonna eat em’, for best results eat em’ fresh that night. Don’t freeze them. Gut, and wrap in foil with lemons and onions in the cavity. Salt and pepper. 10 mins or so on a medium grill.

SteveG wrote:
I've never fished up that way, and seem to read conflicting information. Are most of the fish there stocked or wild?

Below Galeton Pine is a stocked Trout fishery/WW stream. There’s probably the odd wild fish from the tribs, but that’s an exception.

Very well put, fishing Big Pine for 50 years from the Brookland Club to Jersey Shore. Over the years I have learned all the tribs and underground springs, where trout stack. Have many friends up that way. Am always welcome at Tom's, Slate Run Shop and friend George D's place. Kind of a old tradition not fishing the stacks of summer. Now you wont see me at places "the old friends have talked about". Along with a great fishing trip, respect to others is pretty much #1. I am on their friendship list. Nice to see them, be welcomed, handshake and "how the hell are ya". Would be sad to see them walk away or not answer the door!

Now, my plans are getting fish for the smoker. Don't know why, it is a ton of work. Mess and cleanup. I would kind of hope it is a tradition and adds a spark to "lets do it one more time". And like all messes, few help but many enjoy!

Maxima12

Got back from Big Pine, Sunday 21, July. Perfect trip. Fun, I told a lot of stories. Even saw Robin, Manor Hotel Waitress. She is now aware of my leader intentions and fishing.

Here is the deal. Came home with plenty of trout for the smoker. Looks like all will enjoy smoked trout. All trout ranged from 12 to 14 inches. Ruby red grapefruit flesh. Beauties! Mostly all rainbows. I did not fish Sat, or Sunday. Sat in chair on bank and joyously watched my pals fish and catch trout. Was great to see them have so much fun.

Fishing was 6:30 morning till 9:00am. And 7:00 pm till dark. However, I did not start fishing till 8:30 till dark. Never liked casting, just for the sake of casting.

Hot flies were. 16 parachute Adams, 18 med dun quill with med dun hackle- no wings, 18 light yellow sulphur parachute, 18 yellow sulphur parachute and a 16, 18 all white parachute. Friends used a 12 ft 6x leaders and i used a 15 ft. 6x leader.

I know of at least 10 fish still swimming with flies in there mouths. Never recaught any of them

Maxima12

Congratulations. Harvesting some stockies will most likely give others a better chance of survival or allow them to survive a bit longer as they seek out the limited space provided by thermal refugia.

Back