Best ultralight spinning reel

I have that exact rod ... plastic triangular flip top rod case, red nylon-like rod bag... I think I boughtit in 1976 senior year of HS.

a couple years back, in a moment of boredom and stupidity ( a dangerous combination ) I thought " this would make a great mountain stream rod". so I converted the guides from the original spinning ... to fly rod.

It looks beautiful , thought I can attach the fly reel at the back of the sliding ring handle ... and ... it casts a fly Line .... HORRIBLY!! Just a really bad idea.

I just went upstairs and took it out of the bag ... it has such a sweet action ... for a spinning reel. This thread has inspired me ... I'm going to convert it back to spinning, with modern spinning guides.

Man ... a D.A.M. Quick 110, with that red drag knob .... will look really fantastic on it when I'm done!

Many years ago, I dug my one-piece 4'6" Fenwick out to take a look at it.

The Aetna Foul-Proof guides were well out of round, but the rod was still fine. I managed to trade for a new set of guides, but I wasn't about to re-wrap it myself.

I took the rod and the guides to Ed at his fly shop in Pottsville. He said I can fix it; I have plenty of NOS Fenwick brown and cream thread. So, I left it with him.

A week later he called and said the rod was done and that he also replaced the old tip-top with a ceramic one.

I went to pick up the rod and asked Ed what I owed him. I nearly fell over when he said, ""How does $ 10.00 sound?"

He was a really great guy!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back